AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am curious to know whether the 20-39Pc+ has the same overall spl capability as the 20-39Cs+.My reasons are because I am thinking about buying one that proves to be more flexible in terms of setup.Can anyone point me in some direction as to the best model out of the two, and what is the difference betweem two 20-39pc+'s and two 20-39cs+'s performance wise as the latter uses a samson amp which I assume will provide a slight edge?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check over in hometheaterforum as mentioned, but from what I remember from when a similar question was asked before the CS+ has a very slight edge on spl because there isn't an amp taking up some of the air space in the tube. While the PC+ is an integrated package, the CS+ gives you the flexibility of changing the amps down the line or keeping the amp and replacing the sub.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The main advantage of going with the CS+ over the PC+ is the ability to add another sub in the future at a more cost effect way. The CS and PC both have the same driver as well as enclosure. The main difference is with the PC you will get phase control, rumble filter, and auto on. You can add a ART 351 like I did to get the rumble filter. I started with a single CS+ and after a couple of months I needed a little more. For $500.00 I was able to satisfy my need for room shaking bass! I a bass junkie though so take that into consideration:D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A rumble filter is another name for a highpass filter or a subsonic filter. All three will attenuate the extreme low bass from subwoofer designs to that the model is better able to produce the signal in its intended operating bandwidth.

If you have any other specific questions about SVS, please let me know.

Tom V.

SVS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Tom and sorry to bud in this thread

But ..

What is the benfit of a subsonic filter in ordinary English. Is is the same as a bass limiter and does it protect the PC+ from being damaged ?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TV
A rumble filter is another name for a highpass filter or a subsonic filter. All three will attenuate the extreme low bass from subwoofer designs to that the model is better able to produce the signal in its intended operating bandwidth.

If you have any other specific questions about SVS, please let me know.

Tom V.

SVS
Thanks Tom.Sounds like a real handy tool.An SvSub is definetly on my short list of upgrades.My poor Paradigm pw-2200 just can't keep up with the spl's I like to listen at.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi Guys,

A subsonic filter is a *limiter* in the strictest sense---but it doesn't work like the limiters you can adjust in your receivers/processors(at least the receivers that offer this---I know a lot of Pioneers do). The subsonic filter is just a highpass crossover circuit. This is the same type of circuit that is overlayed on your speakers when you set them to SMALL in your bass management menu. Highpass means literally...the *highs* are allowed to *pass*. So in the case of speakers set to SMALL---the highpass frequency point might be 80hz.(and evertyhing under 80hz is attenauted). In the case of a 20-39PC+(set to say 16hz by the owner) the highpass frequency is 16hz and everything under that is gradually attenuated.

The limiters in some receivers (peak limiter, bass limiter,ect) aren't frequency dependent---they simply cut off the highest dynamic peaks before they can get sent to the subwoofer for reproduction. The exact *cutoff* point is usually adjustable. So while the subsonic filter(in this example) won't affect the input signal until you get under 16hz...the Peak/bass limiter in receivers will affect the entire bandwidth of audio going to the subwoofer(usually 10-100hz or so).

The main purpose of the subsonic filter is to minimize driver excursion under the tuning point of a vented/Passive Rad enclosure(although all sealed subs usually have a subsonic filter too). Under the tuning point, vented/PRed subs lose a lot of control over the driver so there is a chance it can be driven to overexcursion with a loud bass peak well under the tuning point.So a subsonic filter is often added to reduce that chance.

TV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.