AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
For B&W movie fans

A Hard Day's Night (Criterion Collection) and Schindler's List 1993 restored version are certainly amazing quality B&W Blu-ray movies, that are 'demo quality', especially the Beatles movie with it's new 5.1 surround sound track. Both are stunning quality B&W movies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have to pile on with the couple of other people who recommended The Thin Red Line (1998). It's based on The Battle of Guadalcanal in the Pacific theatre during WWII. Everything from the writing, to the acting, to the cinematography is absolutely brilliant. It's a gem of a film from a philosophical standpoint as well. You don't have to be a military or WWII history junkie to appreciate this work of art... I highly recommend it.

Look for the Criterion Collection remastered Bluray if possible;):cool:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I try not to use movies I like for test or demo material because it can ruin the enjoyment of the movie, there's plenty of crap out there with excellent picture and sound good for that purpose.

·
Registered
512 Posts
These lists are always ambiguous: You can sort by Picture Quality, by Audio (bass), or Plot.

By PQ, I have an extremely short list of Best Blu-Ray:

* Baraka
* Hero
* Hugo
* The Matrix
* Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series
* When Dreams May Come

Other notables ones are:

* 2001 / 2010
* Ender's Game
* Gladiator
* House of Flying Daggers
* Inception (story is amazing)
* Lord of the Rings
* Master and Commander (bass)
* Pacific Rim (story is crap, visuals and audio are good)
* Pearl Harbor
* Pirates of the Caribbean (any)
* Pixar's movies (all)
* Prometheus (story is total crap, but visuals are good)
* Saving Private Ryan
* U571

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
+1 for Samsara
I went to the movie theater twice to see Samsara for midnight showings. I didn't think it was half as good as Baraka. There is only so much Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi that you can take in.

I even asked Ron Fricke if they could show "Locations" in the "Sub-Titles" track but was brushed off. :-/

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have only seen it on dvd but what about Pan's Labyrinth?
Pan's Labyrinth is an amazing movie .. one of my favorites ever and a truly affecting movie. I thought about this movie for a long time after seeing it!

Have to agree with Art Of Flight as probably the best wow factor demo disc. Truly special.

Blade Runner

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
+ 1 for SAMSARA.

Perhaps the finest Blu-ray picture, period.

For sound, my vote would likely got to King Kong. Picture is also excellent.

The battle with the T-Rex is pure reference material all the way.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Greetings,

I am glad to see that this article continues to generate discussion two years after I wrote it. :)

Keep them coming as there are many titles which have come out since that are deserving of mention here. :cool:

Regards,
The screenshot you have for Battle LA is a screenshot from a film called Skyline. Shocked the author didn't notice such an error.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree with most of the movies posted so far. I would also like to add John Wayne in The Searchers.
I was blown away with this restoration.

Now if we can just get The Alamo restored.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned but The Avengers looks fantastic as well. Very smooth picture quality with little to no film grain. Colors and skin tones are absolutely beautiful and black levels are exceptional.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agree w/ many, here are some I'll add/endorse further:

Apocalypto (some amazing visuals / anticipatory sound / primal fear, chase, triumph, ...)
Pan's Labyrinth
Hero / 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony (works of same visual genius)
Oblivion (R U an effective team? Totally Love it :)
Tron : Legacy (3D one also, neon really pops)
Winged Migration
Epic
Valkyrie (specially for Audio (w/ visual impact) in the 1st 15 or so minutes, - bullets+planes flying, jeeps blown, propeller plane turning on the tarmac - w/ butt-kickers in my HT seats, I use it as a HT demo and it always blows away my guests - as they feel they are on the tarmac - feeling the vibrations and all :)

Need to catch Art of Flight

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I think a lot of those shows are lacking in what makes great movies. We can have that and also great sound and video.

Blade Runner
Woodstock
Apocalypse Now

101 - 120 of 224 Posts