AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something odd happing on several animated movies when using MPC-HC.

They are in MP4 containers with an H.264 video codec. However the frame rate is showing 20.137 fps (another shows 21.17 fps).

In OS X:
If I open the movie with Quicktime the video and audio play in sync at the correct speed (bringing up the info windows shows "FPS: 20.14").
If I open the movie with MPlayerX the video and audio play in sync at the correct speed (bringing up the info window shows "59.9 fps")?

In Windows:
The same file, right clicking and selecting properties shows "Frame Rate: 20 frames/second".

Playing the file in WMP or WMC results in video and audio in sync and at the correct speed.

However, when I play the file using MPC-HC the video plays at 3 times the correct speed, however the audio stays at the correct 1 times speed. The MPC-HC info window shows "Frame rate 59.94".

Is this a problem because the the frame rate is actually a VARIABLE FRAME RATE?

If I pull up the MediaInfo of the file inside of MPC-HC I get the above,
"Frame Rate Mode: Variable"
"Frame Rate: 20.137fps"
"Minimum Frame Rate: 11.987fps"
"Maximum Frame Rate: 59.960fps"

Is there a way to get MPC-HC to play the files correctly? MPlayerX & Quicktime in OS X and WMP & WMC in Windows don't seem to have a problem, just MPC-HC. It is NOT just this one file, there are several like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Installing LAV Filters or ffdshow-tryout externally might fix the problem, as VFR is pretty obscure and not well supported in most players. It used to work for me with MPC (original) and ffdshow-tryout, but I haven't tried with MPC-HC.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installing LAV Filters or ffdshow-tryout externally might fix the problem, as VFR is pretty obscure and not well supported in most players. It used to work for me with MPC (original) and ffdshow-tryout, but I haven't tried with MPC-HC.
That's the funny thing. MPC-HC uses LAV Filters internally and I see the icons in the task tray. If I use WMP or WMC without LAV the files play fine using the Microsoft Decoder. Only when using LAV Video inside of MPC-HC does this happen.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it's a bug in LAVF. I normally use ffdshow for VFR playback.
You are correct! It was the Hardware decoding in LAV Video. I have an i3-2100 so I had Intel QuickSync turned on. As soon as I unchecked "SD" and "HD" from using hardware decoding the files played at the correct frame rate. Must be either a bug in LAVF or Intel's QuickSync.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I doubt QS supports something so obscure, so it's probably not LAVF's fault. QS is probably geared towards [email protected] content only, just as GPU decoding is. GPUs can't decode 10b H.264 at all, for instance.
If it is so 'obscure' why is "Variable Framerate" the default setting in Handbrake for the 'Normal' and 'High Profile'?

Because unfortunately, this is what I used when I converted my 500+ movies from MKV to MP4.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Don't ask me. I avoid all-in-one applications like Handbrake, because I generally find that they don't do what I want to do in the way that I want to do it.

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
First thing I did with Handbrake is turn off the variable frame rates. It just doesn't work well with majority of the players (both software and hardware boxes) out there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First thing I did with Handbrake is turn off the variable frame rates. It just doesn't work well with majority of the players (both software and hardware boxes) out there.
Wish I knew this before I converted 500 movies :-(

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I've also converted large batches only to find out later that I used incorrect settings. It seems our task of learning proper video processing techniques is a never-ending battle...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts