AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the new 20 inch dish installed through the Directv upgrade offer. I am located in Southeastern PA. I have what I think is a long cable run , about 130ft, because I had to relocate the dish in order to hit the 110 and 119 satellites. I am getting readings between 82-94 on the different transponders that are on the 101 satellite. The 110 is also in the upper 80's. The 119 is getting 69 to 72. Is this normal or can I make some adjustments that will improve the 119 signal strength? I wasn't sure if it had to do with the longer cable run or not. I have not noticed any drop outs yet but I have not had any bad weather yet either, so maybe I should just wait and see what happens until the next rain or snow storm. I have read that the in-line amplifiers are a waist of money. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
All I can comment on..the higher any signal is, the better. I get from 95-100 on my 2 dishes; One pointing to 110 satellite and one pointing to 119 satellite. The cable run will make little difference. You do not need in line amps. I would say, the signal from the satellites could be hitting your dish more directly. Pa. should not be much different than Michigan so, if I am getting high readings in Michigan, you can be getting high readings in PA>..providing you have a 'clean line of sight' from dish to satellites. It takes some time to zero in on satellites..never settle for less than the highest signal you can receive. Understand, on a satellite, some transponders (channels) have a higher signal than others..depending their power. But, all in all, you should get mid-90's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As magic123 says, you might want to try a different transponder. I have

a phase III dish (20" oval with 3 LNBs). During aiming I got > 85 on

101W (am in Seattle area) but couldn't get better than 70 or so on

110W/119W until I changed the transponder. Now all 3 sats are > 85.

Make sure your tilt is correct, also. I am on the west coast so YMMV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.