AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you find it funny how before giant flat panel TVs were the norm, people would watch their 20" CRTs from 8' feet away and not have a problem with it? Nowadays it seems every damn person needs to have a 55" TV and sit right next to it. Kind of ridiculous, I think.

·
Registered
17,357 Posts
I don't know how ridiculous it is .. you know what they say, you can never have too large a TV ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, they don't say that.

And that's not what I mean. I just think it's odd how nobody had a problem watching a smaller CRT from a distance away, but nowadays people think 32"-40" is too small. Too small! Yeesh.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndSky /forum/post/19627441

And that's not what I mean. I just think it's odd how nobody had a problem watching a smaller CRT from a distance away, but nowadays people think 32"-40" is too small. Too small! Yeesh.

It wasn't a problem cause there wasn't any alternatives. Back in 1989 i bought a 31" Mitsubishi crt (35" was the biggest available) and then in 1998 I bought a 51" Pioneer Elite RPTV and now have a 50" plasma and two 40" LCD sets and have enjoyed them along with a great sound system. Bottom line to each his own and if you enjoy a 20" from 8' away then more power to you.

·
Registered
17,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndSky /forum/post/19627441

Actually, they do say that ..

If larger TV's had been available "back in the day" .. folks would have bought them .. these things are relative to the time ..

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The difference today is that with high definition disk media and multichannel surround sound, one can produce a convincing simulation of the theater experience at home.

The full immersion theater experience is a full time proposition, versus the definate part time activity called "watching TV", which can be done with a smaller screen at a greater distance, while reading or conversing.

Learn more a bout the difference by searching on "SMPTE viewing distance" and "THX viewing distance". For each size screen, there is a reccomendation for optimum viewing to acheive full immersion - any distance significantly greater is just "watching TV".

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had a ~20" screen a long time ago and I always thought it sucked. Then got a 25", still thought it sucked. It wasnt until getting a 27" that I was satisfied with the size. It was a 27" "flat screen" CRT, still used it in the bedroom up until last weekend when I got a new 50". Widescreen DVDs on that thing were pretty tiny though.

Also keep in mind 4:3 was bigger vertically than widescreens are. When I upgraded my 27" I made sure that I wouldnt be going smaller with 4:3 content, so I had to get a 37" tv to replace it which was just a little bigger vertically.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndSky /forum/post/19627340

Don't you find it funny how before giant flat panel TVs were the norm, people would watch their 20" CRTs from 8' feet away and not have a problem with it? Nowadays it seems every damn person needs to have a 55" TV and sit right next to it. Kind of ridiculous, I think.

It is an objective fact rather than an opinion that things TV are moving in the right direction. Size included. Here is why.

When I watch Fox I want Megyn Kelly to look like she would be if she was sitting in front of me in my room. Seeing her 4 to 1 reduction is so last century. Today, a 20 inch set wouldn't make it as my kitchen appliance next to the toaster or even as a PC monitor.

Another thing that will never make its way into my house is that TV coffin - I forget what stupid French-sounding name they slapped on it - that older people need to hide their TV sets as if having a TV set was a reason to be ashamed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndSky
I had a 30 Hitachi CRT that I had to put in storage for a couple of months in 2009. When I got it out the internal speakers were dead. It was time to replace it. Although I knew I didn't like the image of LCD, since I had used many LCD monitors and seen LCDs in stores and in friends homes, plasma was not available in 37, which is what I figured would be the size for replacing my Hitachi CRT. I waited for Black Friday deals on 37 1080P to materialize in vain, and settled for a Panasonic 32 720P for $349. The viewing area of a 32 HDTV is about the same as that of a 30 4:3 aspect ratio set. I figured I could watch letterboxed on the LCD and use my PC speakers with the Hitachi for full screen.

My viewing distance ranged from 8' to 10', which is beyond the 3x diagonal maximum expert recommended viewing distance, at least with regards to the 10' viewing point. At the time my only content sources were SD basic cable and DVD. I quickly noticed that I had to sit 8' away to view full screen 480i and over 10' away for full screen zoomed letterboxed 480i in order to not notice the pixelation on the 32 LCD. In other words, contrary to the recommended 3x diagonal maximum viewing distance, 4x the diagonal measure was what I considered the minimum viewing distance.

Fortunately, all of the basic channels were repeated as QAM channels, so I was able to use the QAM tuner to view them in HD. As for DVDs, I got an upconversion DVD player to make the image viewable closer in, and I used my DVD recorder to copy VHS tapes for viewing in the upconversion DVD player.

Realistically, for viewing 4:3 aspect ratio content, the viewing distance for HDTV should be 5x the diagonal to provide a experience equivalent to watching a CRT at 6x the diagonal measure.

More recently however, I have switched to DISHNetwork, and find reading the Info box on the 32 LCD from 10' away just barely tolerable when zoomed. I figure I need at least a 42 to get away from the need to zoom the image, and at least a 46 in anticipation of further degradation of my eyesight. I'm seriously considering either a 50G25/50G35 or 50S2/50S3 plasma for comfortable viewing of the info box from 10' away. Pixelation should not be a problem since the DISHNetwork receiver does the upscaling. With the 42 I need now, the 3x diagonal maximum viewing distance seems just about right. Your mileage may vary depending upon your eyesight.

Dale LaRoy Splitstone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts