AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 513 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmm, wrong forum but thought you'd like to know if you didn't.

$200 for the Bravo D1 DVD-DVI Player is shipping today. Up scales to 720p so they say. The first DVD-DVI machine that's maybe less dollars than the DVI cable you'll need to use it :). http://www.vinc.us/

Maybe I should'a put this in the >$20.000 forum...............but I love you guy's

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm tempted to buy this thing for this kind of money. S&V mag review said it looked very good with DVI.

If they come out with a 300 disc changer I'd be very very tempted to abandon my HTPC Holo 3D route.

Geesh. Things are changing to quickly for my wallet to keep up.

Bill

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
For a mere 100$ more I think I'll wait for the Samsung 931. At least until I find out what mpeg decoder it uses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have my doubts on this model.

Sound and Vision did critisize several things about it.

I am going to hold out for the Samsung DVD HD931 which should do a better job.

The price of this unit just doesn't sit right with me... too low priced ya know?

Bruno

Toronto, Ontario

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price of this unit just doesn't sit right with me... too low priced ya know?

What ??

S and V thought the DVI was very good with a fp and a plasma. They didn't think the analog out's were so hot. Who cares about the analog out's ?? Well I guess one guy does :)

Didn't Samsung mention what decoder Chris ? I thought I saw it someplace.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If I use the scaler in my SP7200 to do the scaling to 720, I am using a Faroudja scaler. I would expect that to be better than the scaler built into this DVD player, but I am just guessing.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyR
Didn't Samsung mention what decoder Chris ? I thought I saw it someplace.
Hey Jimmy

Not to my knowledge. The only thing I am sure of is the fli2310 chip. I am in the process of confirming which mpeg decoder it uses. If it is chroma free we may have a winner at that $299msrp point.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenned
If I use the scaler in my SP7200 to do the scaling to 720, I am using a Faroudja scaler. I would expect that to be better than the scaler built into this DVD player, but I am just guessing.
They use a very similar package. The InFocus actually has 2 scalers (fli23xx and pixelworks-in certain circumstances) whereas the Samsung only uses the fli2310 for deinterlacing/scaling.

The main advantage is a purely digital path from source to device which has tremendous potential. The one area that remains unknown is the mpeg decoding which can make or break and effective digital solution.

Chris

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno A4

Bruno

Toronto, Ontario
V can offer this type of savings as they sell direct and through low margin discounters. Their 46" plasma is only $3,999. in US dollars.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Interesting stuff. The PDF for the player mentions that it will upscale to 720p or 1080i; what about those with resolutions that don't match that exactly? ie 1366 x 766 as per Sony 12HT/HS10 and some Sanyos (?)

If it can't do 1:1 mapping is there any point? Input at 720p, scale to 768, is that any better than input at 576 and scale to 768? Or input at 1080 and downscale to 768?

What about odd refresh rates like the Sony 56 Hz requirements for 1:1 mapping?

I think they have a way to go before the HTPC is obsolete. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by builty
Interesting stuff. The PDF for the player mentions that it will upscale to 720p or 1080i; what about those with resolutions that don't match that exactly?
Ranada's Sound & Vision Test Report recapped it this way, "Thanks to its DVI output, the Bravo D1 delivers reference-quality DVD images for only $200. If the DVD licensing rules allowed it, I could imagine future models without any analog outputs that would be even less expensive. Then the burden of picture quality would fall solely on the TV and how well it's set up, which is as it should be."

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I get it Chris I'll play with it for a bit and send it to you to fiddle with. Something to do until the Samsung comes in June/July.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmont
whereas the Samsung only uses the fli2310 for deinterlacing/scaling.
That is the question for me, regarding the Sigma Designs EM8500 in D1 versus the FLI2310 in the Samsung.

There is a 10% restocking fee on the D1, so I may wait for some feed back from the D1 early adopters.

Looking forward to a full report on the new unit.

RJ

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyR
If I get it Chris I'll play with it for a bit and send it to you to fiddle with. Something to do until the Samsung comes in June/July.
Jimmy

That is a very gracious offer but I am in the midst of relocating and as such am indisposed to reviewing (that is one of the other reasons I am willing to wait for the Samsung :) ).

I am quite sure my esteemed colleagues Stacey Spears and/or Don Munsil would love to have a go at it. Besides they are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. Either way I would be interested to read your findings.

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Its a no-go because it doesn't have DVI-HDCP. Read the fine print:

"Copy-protected DVD playback limited to 480i, 576i or 480p on YPbPr."

So no 720p output on most DVD's. That isn't the end of the world but, it also isn't clear how good the deinterlacing is going to be for its 480p output.

You could just run DVI at 480i out of it but most displays don't have good deinterlacing on their DVI inputs. So you are back to component 480i for the best connection.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DVI-HDCP. Read the fine print:

But current DVD's don't have HDCP encryption do they ?

My Sanyo isn't compliant either Mr. Wigggles but capable of 720p and 1080i fronm the DVI input. Did you read one of the reviews about the pj and plasma that was connected to the D1 ? What am I missing about the up conversion ?

·
Premium Member
25,217 Posts
MrW,

"You could just run DVI at 480i out of it but most displays don't have good deinterlacing on their DVI inputs."

So if you use the DVI input on a pj with Faroudja deinterlacing, the digital signal bypasses these chips? I thought if an analog was input, it was A/D'd and then sent to the deinterlacer/scaler.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
There is a 10% restocking fee on the D1, so I may wait for some feed back from the D1 early adopters.
RJ,

That's $20. Did you lose your job :) The shipping will cost more than that. I'm kidding of course, but it was too easy.

I'm waiting for the Samsung because I have a better feeling about the chips in that one and the HDCP issue. But my question about the Samsung is whether 480p over DVI will have HDCP protection. It shouldn't be required, but I think it just depends on whether they take a shortcut in the implementation and make everything over DVI HDCP protected. If not, it could feed an all digital 480p signal to projectors that have DVI ports that won't handle HDCP signals.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Its a no-go because it doesn't have DVI-HDCP. Read the fine print:

"Copy-protected DVD playback limited to 480i, 576i or 480p on YPbPr."

So no 720p output on most DVD's. That isn't the end of the world but, it also isn't clear how good the deinterlacing is going to be for its 480p output.
What does this quote really mean? It could mean that:

1. on YPbPr you can't get 720p or 1080i with copy-protected DVDs, but you can get them over DVI with copy-protected DVDs.

Or

2. copy-protected DVDs won't even play back over DVI

I thought it meant #1. Did you see somewhere that it says its DVI output doesn't have HDCP?

--Darin

1 - 20 of 513 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.