1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor /forum/post/17037147

Using these speakers:
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...rs/33/144982//

This is a computer setup, and I have no clue what sub to get. Budget is $200. I'd prefer to spend under 150 though.

Probably stating the obvious here, but it looks like you will need to buy a receiver to connect your sound card SPDIF output to and then drive these speakers. For computer audio, Logitech's Z-5500 speaker package sounds decent and you can directly connect your sound card SPDIF output to the speaker controller without needing a receiver. Dolby Digital and DTS decoding is supported as well by the speaker controller.

You may very well be aware of this and have already purchased the speakers in which case I will remove myself from this discussion. If you haven't made a purchase yet, I would take a look at the Logitech Z-5500s before buying anything else (great bang/buck for a computer setup).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerium /forum/post/17037211

Probably stating the obvious here, but it looks like you will need to buy a receiver to connect your sound card SPDIF output to and then drive these speakers. For computer audio, Logitech's Z-5500 speaker package sounds decent and you can directly connect your sound card SPDIF output to the speaker controller without needing a receiver. Dolby Digital and DTS decoding is supported as well by the speaker controller.

You may very well be aware of this and have already purchased the speakers in which case I will remove myself from this discussion. If you haven't made a purchase yet, I would take a look at the Logitech Z-5500s before buying anything else (great bang/buck for a computer setup).

I've heard the Z-5500s over my current speakers (Lower end than the Klipsch I linked above), and they honestly didn't stand a chance. The speakers I linked above *should* be in a entirely different world than the Z-5500s in terms of quality. (The Z-5500s also retail at around 4x cheaper... so thats to be expected.)

I'm aware I need a receiver to connect these to my computer though.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor /forum/post/17037222

I've heard the Z-5500s over my current speakers (Lower end than the Klipsch I linked above), and they honestly didn't stand a chance. The speakers I linked above *should* be in a entirely different world than the Z-5500s in terms of quality. (The Z-5500s also retail at around 4x cheaper... so thats to be expected.)

I'm aware I need a receiver to connect these to my computer though.

I thought the Z-5500s sounded decent enough for computer speakers but I'm not sure what your goals are here. Anyway, as long as you are aware of them and decided not to go that route that's fair enough. Good luck finding a great sub to compliment your Klipsch surrounds. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The Bic F12 mentioned above is probably the best overall pick < $200. If this is mainly for music and gaming also check out the Velodyne VX10. Frys is having a very good sale on it right now. It won't dig as low in the frequency range for HT as the Bic but for music it's an excellent choice and will probably edge the Bic out in that regard.

·
Registered
91 Posts
======================================

I'm going to go ahead and jump in here. I got Energy RC-10 fronts, RC Mini center, and C-100 surrounds with a Denon 1909. Everything is hooked up to my HTPC. Use it for music, games, and movies. I live in a small studio apartment about 10'x12'. Not to worried about disturbing anybody.

I have the same budget and I understand the degraded quality that comes with a small budget.

$200 is perfect. Would the BIC f12 work well with my system or would you recommend something else for what I have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts