AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The basics question is, how many watts per channel would be best for a pair of outdoor speakers.

To be specific, I have a pair of Definitive Technology AW 6500's. The listed specs are as follows:

Recommended associated amplification power -- 10 to 200 watts peer channel;

Impedance -- 4 to 8 ohms;

Sensitivity -- 92 dB.

At the high volume needed to listen to these outdoor, up to 20 feet away, won't these sound considerably better with an amp that supplies 200 watts / channel than with an amp that supplies "only 120" (e.g. the HK 3490)?

If I can ask a further question (have I lost you yet?), consider that I also want a 2 channel amp to power multi-room audio. I won't typically need multiple rooms going at the same time (it would suffice to turn everything else off while the outdoor speakers are playing) but I will need to install impedance matching volume controls and won't this further reduce the power available to the outdoor speakers? Is there some way that I can power the multi-room audio with the same amp as the outdoor speakers?

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Output differencr betweem 120 and 200 watts p/c: ~2dbs.

Essentially, we have another numbers game.

I dont know where you live, but a handful of watts will produce output that will be around ~70dbs at 20'. Already loud enough for neighbor issues, if that's a reality for you.

Honestly, with the types or events I have going on outside, I couldn't imagine

needing to go much louder, but it's not my place to tell you where or how to listen.

Certainly the output difference between 120 and 200 watts borders on negilgible.

James

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Actually a single watt (nevermind a handful) will produce an SPL ~ 74 dbs at 8 meters.

Janes

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

mine too...

fwiw, i power my "rocks" with an ancient onkyo avr of unknown output (probably not a lot)... they are somewhat less sensitive than the speakers you plan to use, and volume is NOT an issue...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I am reassured that 120 watts per channel would suffice if all I want to power is the outdoor speakers.

Now, concerning the second question, what if the same amp is powering a multi-room system and there are impedance matching volume controls for the speakers used for these other rooms. Can I set up a switch so that the amp powers either the outdoor speakers OR the multi-room system but not both?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts