AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My distributor just sent me the 2000-2001 catalog for Toshiba. It does not have any pricing info yet. The annouced HD models are as follows:

16:9

DW65X91

65H80

56H80

40H80

CW34X92

4:3

Cinema Series

61HX70

55HX70

50HX70

43HX70

36HFX70

All Cinema Series have 16:9 verticle compression;improved IDSC;digital video noise reduction;direct video imput selection and individual a/v settings.

Theaterview - same as above minus direct video imput selection

61H70

55H70

43H70

Supertube

36HF70 - same as 36HFX70 with smaller speakers and few PIP functions.

If you have any questions, email me and I will see if I can answer them. It is my understanding that the FST Direct Views will not be available for a couple of more months.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
There are exactly 3 (and only 3) differences between the 43H70 and 43HX70. They are:

1. The 'H' cabinet is black, the 'HX' is a dark gray.

2. The remote is 'better' (I'm not crazy about either though).

3. The protective screen shield has an anti-reflective coating on the 'HX'.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
What does the 16X9 vertical compression stand for??
It means that a set with 4:3 aspect ratio shows a 16:9 picture by "squeezing" the picture vertically to 16:9 aspect ratio. It does this by using all the scan lines, but scanning them closer together starting partway down the screen and ending before reaching the bottom. This means that when you watch 16:9 material you are enjoying the fullest possible vertical resolution.

The alternative is to use only the middle scanning lines without changing their normal vertical spacing, so that the electron beam actually scans the full vertical height of the picture but is turned "off" for the top and bottom parts of the screen. In this mode you only see the middle scan lines, and there aren't as many of them as with the "squeeze" method, so you're not getting the fullest possible vertical resolution.

·
Registered
636 Posts

To summarize

16x9 vertical compression/squeezing on 4x3 set = squeezing/compressing all scan lines into pic (16x9 or greater) = greater scan lines for showing the pic = better pic resolution=happier viewer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Kishore

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like that last part, happy viewer...

Anyway I saw the Tosh 50HX70 and I really found the pic to be amazing, and it wasn't HD but just DVD, although I suspect a progressive one, but still it was amazing and if I was single I would bought it on the spot... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Now I'm reading this forum and the question 16x9Set versus 4:3 makes me really think... If only I could look about 5years from now and see how the TV world looks like...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.