AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Showstopper 2000 unit that I hacked over a year ago with a Maxtor 80GB drive. It has run sense then with no significant problems other than an occasional lockup that was rectified by a powerdown and restart.

Tonight it did something different. After I powered the unit it emitted a double chirp and the drive did not spin up. I pulled the plug and it did the same thing again. It even repeated the chirping noise several times. After 20-30 seconds, the drive started to spin and the unit is now functioning normally.

Any ideas on what went wrong? Do I need to do anything else to prevent the crash around the corner? I love my showstopper and don't want it to crash......

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a Showstopper upgraded with a Maxtor 80 GB drive. It runs quite warm in spite of having a hard drive cooler fan attached to the top of the drive and a fair amount of open space above the unit in the cabinet it's in. I wouldn't be surprised if an upgraded Showstopper ran hot enough to shorten the life of the drive.

Go on the Maxtor web site and exercise the warranty. The site will issue an RMA if you follow their procedure.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Wow! Is that normal for a drive that is just under a year old?
Normal? No, not really, but any drive can fail at any time. Anything with moving parts will fail. Some go after a few minutes, some after a few years and everywhere in between. It could be heat, but it's more likely bad luck. Call the manufacturer right away and get it replaced. Even if it boots up today, GET IT REPLACED because ANY time a drive makes a noise out of the ordinary, it is failing. I promise. If you don't, Murphy says it will crap out as soon as the warranty ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.