AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Here is the situation. I have approximately 2000 dollars to spend on this unit but would prefer to spend less if possible. I was looking at minimum of 50" tv, preferably one of the thinner technologies as opposed to CRT. I was looking ideally at like a 61" or something, but I don't really know what my options are. This TV will be used for probably a good long while. It will be in my dorm this year, so lighting will be very dark at night, and pretty light during the day. Sitting distance from tv will be approximately 8-12 feet away. DVI connection to me is pretty important as I will be hooking my computer up once in awhile. I would also like HDMI I suppose too, but that isn't a huge deal if not possible. What I am getting at is for my primary television source I will be using DVI, for my DVD player I will probably just use high-quality component cables. I would prefer to spend 1500 or less, but I don't know if the quality difference is going to be huge there. Any options or thoughts that you can provide on this situation will be extremely appreciated!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Instead of asking what to do with $2000 I would first get familiar with the various technologies, the pros and the cons.

Spend some time on this forum reading on what users have to say about the various equipment. Visit some stores that show different technologies. Find out if you are sensitive to DLP, are you comfortable with LCD black levels, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like my dads samsung dlp. It looks great for sports! I really want this tv for sports and movies primarily. I am all for a very clear and bright picture, which makes me think the new lcos tvs might be the way to go, but they're expensive also. I just don't know :p Any insite at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you guys feel about HLP6163W, the 61" samsung dlp compared to say anything else competing in price? I just want a good tv!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your not going to get much advice with a post like this. I would suggest just as htpcfan did... Read up on the different technologies... visit some stores and let your eyes tell you what is good for you and your situation. We all have our reasons for getting the specific monitors that we have. What I think is important will not be the same as what you think is important.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I don't know if the 61" fits your budget. You'd have to go the internet route and assume the risks.

If you like your dad's samsung dlp and have a costco near you, they have a 50" samsung dlp for XXXX (in your budget). The good thing about costco is it's a no risk buy. If you don't like it and want to return, all it costs is gas.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Budget is kind of lean for current sets. Samsung 6163 would be good if you find one on clearance or Hitachi 50V715 50 in. HDTV-Ready Television - it can be found at shopping.com. You may also want to shoot for floor model clearance. My coworker got a $2800 Hitachi or Mits 50" for $900 at Sears a few months back while they were clearing models for new stock. Good Luck! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.