AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could do it, how much would 2000 lumens be worth? Check the attachment for a way to double the light output while maintaining the small spot size for best resolution. The phosphor gets worked twice as hard but the resolution is the same as a conventional CRT.

Run each deflection yoke at the same horizontal rate but have the vertical deflection running 180 degrees from each other. As one gun starts it's vertical retrace the other is scanning the center of the screen. You get the bonus of a refresh rate of 120Hz for improved motion responce. Or, you could scan at 30Hz for each gun (while keeping a 60Hz refresh rate) and half the horizontal sweep frequency and HALF the VIDEO BANDWIDTH!

There is pretty significant keystone distortion to be corrected but that is nothing new. Same with the focus modulation.

Oh yeah, if you decide to go into production with this idea don't forget me!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nice Idea,

what do the tube guys at your sister-facility say to the double neck tube :)

How about a tube with a double long neck? You could place the focus coil much more forward and so get a smaller spotsize (just like the green tube in the PGxtra, but a bit more consequent) which would counteract the spotsize enlargement due to the higher beam current...

Roland

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Would probably be less expensive than a double-stack or blend environment. But retain some of the same virtues.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
except you'd have to design and buils some pretty radical tubes!

I'm surprised nobody really ever build a projector that had more than 3 tubes anyway...?

Like a ready-built stack.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
If I had a billion dollars, I'd do a single-screen 12-CRT stack. I'd like to see the setup guy's eyes!

side-by side stacks in 6 locations, ceilingx2, floor x2, table top straight on x2 on a RP screen from both sides.

It wouldn't be that useful, but it would be the only one in the world!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
There is pretty significant keystone distortion to be corrected but that is nothing new. Same with the focus modulation.
And the source. People can't even come up with an inexpensive working blend solution that has both graphics outputs scanning in the same direction.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles

I'm surprised nobody really ever build a projector that had more than 3 tubes anyway...?

There was one, maybe fifteen years ago, a sixgun from Toshiba or maybe Hitachi, two rows of three, God help the technician trying to replace the lower middle tube!

·
Registered
822 Posts
No-one has built my 'brilliant' colour CRT with additional magenta, yellow and cyan tubes yet. Nor the extra-brite version with an additional monochrome tube.

Not to mention the 'enhanced black' version which has an extra 'hi-black' phosphour tube for dark detail - it's always turned off.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBro
Nice Idea,

what do the tube guys at your sister-facility say to the double neck tube :)

Roland
They think I'm nuts. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles

Here's a few pics of some CRT's with an odd number of tubes. The first two had 4 tubes (2 green's I believe) and the third is a 6 tube machine.

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/9387/ab15hv.jpg

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/9779/7e17py.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/9200/9e37gp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
God help the technician trying to replace the lower middle tube!
I guess that explains why the pj in that 3rd pic is so beat up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.