AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the top three choices of FP in the $2000 price range seem to be the Panny 300, HS10, and the Z1. These are all LCD projectors and was wondering which DLP projectors are worth a look in this price range? I was also wondering why the top three always talked about are LCD and I don't see too much DLP? Is it just the rainbow issue, or are these LCD projectors better than the DLP available in this range?

Basically, I want to buy the best projector I can for around $2000 and I don't care if it's LCD or DLP. Rainbows haven't been a problem for me and I know a couple of my buddies that would come over to watch movies aren't affected by this either. But, like I said, I just want the most for my money whether it's DLP, LCD, or a two-year old kid drawing a picture of the movie! :p

Here's a little info.... I am buying this to last only a couple of years, so I can upgrade my audio, but still get away from my 31" JVC. When I finish with my audio (well, with this round of upgraditis), then I will upgrade to whatever projectors are out on the market, probably in a higher price range.

Most of my viewing will be DVDs on a Denon DVD-1600 Progressive Scan player. I will also play some X-Box on it and some of the games I am interested in buying in the future, support 720p. As for SDTV, I don't watch much of it, mostly football.

My room is approx. 14' by 11' with an 8' ceiling. It is a living room and I can block out most of the light, but not all. I plan on having a fixed screen. The projector's front will probably be around 13' from the screen. My seating will probably be around 11' from the screen. At most, I would have 5 people over to watch anything at a time.

If more info is need for suggestions, let me know.

Could you guys give me some suggestions on which models I should do some research on. I like the Panny 300 and the Sony HS10 by what I have read so far and am not sure if the price difference would be worth it. I have not read anything on any DLP projectors yet, because I am clueless as to what is availalbe.

I appreciate your time and patience with a FP newbie!

George

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I'll get you started. The Infocus X1 is the most commonly discussed DLP below $2K on this forum. I don't know of many other DLPs in this price range. Read through the past few days' threads for thoughts on the HS10 vs. 300u debate. I own the 300, so I obviously don't think the price difference is worth it, especially if your goal is to watch DVDs for the next couple of years and then upgrade (my plan as well, but with some HD also).

How big of a picture do you want. I think from your dimensions the Panny would show a 106" picture, but you could go smaller I think. Not sure on the throw on the HS10.

Projector Central has an interesting comparison of the Panny 300 and the X1 right now on their website. Seems a little fishy to me, but it may be worth reading for you.

Honestly, if you're not a rainbow person, you'll probably be very happy with either the LCD or DLP machines, and the X1 is pretty darn cheap in compared to anything else. Ask Flooper, he has both an X1 and a Z1 I think.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After lots of reading about all of the projectors, I think I am going to pick between the X1 and the L300U. Now, I just have to compare the two. The Projector Central comparison was helpful, but I'd rather hear from actual owners of the units. I feel more comfortable with their word than anything.

As for the Sony, I don't think I will use it enough on the high-res material to justify the extra $$$$.

I was thinking about a 100" screen (diagonal), but it'll really come down to what looks best in my room.

Has anyone compared these two units and then bought one of them?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.