AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any AVS members went to the Cinerama Dome today (4/26) in Hollywood to watch this movie (70mm)? Took me about 50mins to get there in LA traffic and arrived around 4:30, the showing was at 5pm. Waited till 5:45pm for the movie to show until one of the employees went up onto the stage and said the show is canceled :mad: Paid my $3 parking fee and back into LA traffic :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here is a email from Arclight in response to my complaint

Thank you for contacting ArcLight Cinemas.

We apologize for the unfortunate incident on Sunday for the 5:00pm & 8:45pm
showings of “2001: A Space Odyssey” being cancelled due to a union dispute.
We had no warning of this and will gladly refund your ticket purchase.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What a royal pain and disappointment to have this happen.

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times at Century 21 in San Jose, CA back in 1968 in its original release and with pristine prints, and my memory of that is the subjective benchmark I use to judge the quality of calibrations and my projector upgrades. While I feel the images I've projected with my setups over the years are reminiscent of what I saw then, nothing has matched it.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
A younger version of me worked for a movie theater and as upset as you were I gaurantee that poor employee that had to give the news had a worse day than you. I used to dread that crap!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Union dispute?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
They should pay more. When I was young they made minimum wage. 4.25 an hour. When I was promoted to management it payed 4.50 an hour. Weve all seen scratched movies, out of focus movies, etc. Its because they dont pay much and most of those guys could care less if they get it right. We actually had a guy splice a movie together out of order one time. Back then they came in several reels and had to be joined together. Did he care? No he thought it was funny. Actually looking back it is pretty funny. I dont know what my point was but I guess it seems theaters should be able to pay better. It is gazillion dollar industry.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
I dont know what my point was but I guess it seems theaters should be able to pay better. It is gazillion dollar industry.
Sure, for the guys at the top who make most of the gazillions. Which makes it no different than any other giant industry, I suppose.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Arclight is no different than other theaters- virtually all of their money comes solely from concessions, so they're operating on a shoe string.

The big difference is Arclight actually gives a #[email protected]! about presentation, something that's got to eat into profits further.

I feel for them, but when all is said and done there will likely be one less venue employing union projectionists; the cost structure of the industry will simply no longer allow it.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an email yesterday from Arclight saying that they rescheduled! They also sent me a voucher to be used for the movie which was really nice seeing that they already refunded me.

Sunday, May 10 at 5 PM and 8:45 PM

Tuesday, May 12 at 7:30 PM

Wednesday, May 13 at 7:30 PM

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times at Century 21 in San Jose, CA back in 1968 in its original release and with pristine prints, and my memory of that is the subjective benchmark I use to judge the quality of calibrations and my projector upgrades. While I feel the images I've projected with my setups over the years are reminiscent of what I saw then, nothing has matched it.
Me too! One time I sat in the very front row of San Jose's Cent 21 for the 70mm showing of 2001. The deeply curving 85 foot wide screen sported an image that went right to the curtains. It was so big it more than filled the angle of coverage of my eyeglasses, and I had to turn my head to read the full title. Yet it was sharp! I'm not kidding when I say it was life-changing, as hard as that may be for some people to believe.

I, too, use the memory of 2001 to judge my HT image (with a Blu-ray of 2001), and I agree it doesn't come up to the quality of the 70mm, although they did a pretty good job.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm not kidding when I say it was life-changing, as hard as that may be for some people to believe.
It's not hard to believe at all. Seeing 2001 at the Cinesphere in Toronto in 70MM at on the 10 story IMAX screen is one of the greatest movie going experiences of my life. Also saw Lawrence of Arabia and Apocalypse Now there as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts