AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching 2001 for the 25th time and I wondered if anyone knows what the three letter screen acronyms are. Some are obvious others not to me at least.

ATM

HIB

NUC

COM

DMG

NAV

FLX

VEH

LIF

GDE

CNT

MEM

I think HIB is hibernation,NUC is nuclear whatever,COM is communication,NAV is navigation but what about the others ?

Art

·
Registered
526 Posts
COM: Communications

NAV: Navigation

LIF: Life Support

VEH: Vehicle Status

FLX: Flight Dynamics

NUC: Nuclear Reactor Status

HIB: Hibernation

DMG: System Damage

CNT: Control

MEM: Memory

TEL: Telemetry

GDE: Guidance Data Extension

ATM: Spacecraft Atmosphere Monitoring

I have no idea if those are right, but they look like reasonable guesses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,333 Posts
Thank you! That's very good.

All we could figure at the time was that it was puzzle panel meant to prevent the mentally disturbed from blowing up the ship. Bit frustrating for the harried Ripley, I would imagine.

-Bill

·
Registered
526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain  /t/1488994/2001-a-space-odyssey-three-letter-acronyms#post_23699785

All we could figure at the time was that it was puzzle panel meant to prevent the mentally disturbed from blowing up the ship.

Hehe, I like it. You wouldn't want the "Easy Button" for that particular feature.

I just noticed that one of the buttons off to the right is "666." No way I'm pushing that one!

·
Registered
28,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1488994/2001-a-space-odyssey-three-letter-acronyms#post_23697172

Watching 2001 for the 25th time and I wondered if anyone knows what the three letter screen acronyms are. Some are obvious others not to me at least.

ATM

I know that Kubrick and Clarke were extremely prescient about future technology, but why would the Discovery need a cash machine on board?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1488994/2001-a-space-odyssey-three-letter-acronyms#post_23700383

I know that Kubrick and Clarke were extremely prescient about future technology, but why would the Discovery need a cash machine on board?

Pay toilets.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
you've only seen the movie 25 times?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Speaking of the self-destruct sequence in Alien, obviously a direct rip-off\homage to Forbidden Planet only more elaborate.

In Forbidden Planet it only took one plunger to vaporize Altair IV but 4 to blow up the Nostromo.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1488994/2001-a-space-odyssey-three-letter-acronyms#post_23701737

Yea sick isn't it. I drove to Chicago just to see it projected in 70mm.

Art

Me too, the Navy Pair Imax. The Discovery looks as big as life on that screen. Great experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts