AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 61" Samsung DLP that I purchased in 2003. It has had the logic board replaced as well as the color wheel and 1-2 lamps. Regardless of the repairs, the picture is still crisp and clear.

The issue I'm facing is the inputs are quickly becoming dated. It has 1 DVI and a few component inputs, and the vast majority, if not all of the equipment these days is all HDMI. I would also like to hook up a HDPC but cannot because the minimum supported resolution isn't supported by the TV.

So I'm wondering: I know they continued to make DLP's for several more years, and I saw many upgrades basically in the same case/shell of a TV. Being that the components in my TV are modular, is anyone aware if I can purchase new/more modern components effectively upgrading the core of the TV while keeping the external shell? In turn I'm thinking I can get a higher resolution (my tv only does 1080i, need 1080p for the on-demand movies), and new inputs for the newer components.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'd bite the bullet and buy a new television. You got 10 years out of your Samsung - that's very good! I doubt you would be able to graft new(er) parts to an older mainboard inside your TV. See if you can offload it on Craigslist. Time to let it go and move on...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.