·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toshiba's 2003 HD Lineup:

30HF83 - 30" direct-view widescreen *new size

34HF83 - 34" direct-view widescreen *new costmetics

34HFX83 - 34" Cinema Series direct-view - *Virtual Dolby

36HFX73 - 36" 4:3 Cinema Series (only 4:3 HD set in the lineup)

42H83 - Same as 42H82 but with DVI

46H83 - 46" projection *new size *seperate stand with storage space

46HX83 - 46" Cinema Series

51H83 - 51" projection *new size (replaces 50") *new cosmetics

51HX83 - 51" Cinema Series

57H83 - 57" projection *new cosmetics

57HX83 - 57" Cinema Series

65H83 - 65" projection *new cosmetics

65HX83 - 65" Cinema Series

Others (no details were provided):

New 57" and 65" LCoS this Fall

Several LCD flat panel TVs

X93 models possible with built-in ATSC tuner, Firewire and HDMI.

(The 'D' is gone from the part numbers since all models now have DVI/HDCP input)

New features on all models:

* DVI/HDCP input

* 57" and 65" are both 2-piece cabinet designs

* Multi-Format HD Double Window POP

* User selectable 540p or 1080i display

* Auto 16:9 Mode (480i input only)

* SRS WOW

* CableClear Optimal Digital Video Noise Reduction

* TheaterFine HD .52mm Pitch Lenticular

* Faster tuner speed

New/better features on Cinema Series

*Pegasus IV CRTs (not much to report here..there doesn't seem to be much 'new' about them)

* 40 Watt audio output (versus 30W) with seperate tweeters

* 56 key remote (versus 41)

* Super wide band video amplifer

* I/R link icon (??)

* I/R passthrough (??)

* I/R Blaster

* TheaterShield AR (anti-reflective)

Availability

50H83 and 57H83 Late May/Early June

All others - August/September

I'm in Canada, so the details may differ between products available in the US.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The current cinema series (HDX's) already have an anti-reflective screen; do you know if the new screen on the HX's will be even less reflective? I'm really looking at this, because it doesn't seem like there's much of a difference between the HDX82's and the HX83's. They'll both have 720p support, anti-reflective screen, and DVI-HDCP, so I probably won't hold off if there's no significant upgrades.

Joe

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, that's actually one of the reasons I posted this info. If you have the need for a new set today, it doesn't look like there is a significant reason to hold off for the new models. The most notable addtion is really the 46" which should appeal to a lot of people stuck between 42" and 50".

The current Cinema Series sets are, in my perhaps not so humble opinion, simply stellar.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for your response John. I can't fit a HDTV into my current apartment, but I'm moving in Aug. and then I absolutely going to get one. If I can get a good deal on a 50HDX82 in June or July, then I might just buy it and let my dad watch it for a month or two. I don't know if there'll be any 50HDX82's left in Aug., and I really like everything about it, even the way the cabinet looks.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys - thanks for the info. I was looking at getting the 46" SonyKP in June but am now interested in these Toshibas you posted. Does Toshiba have as good a rep as Sony? I like the extra 5" at the 51" model as well as the DVI/HDCP (does 2002 have this?) - what is the deal with the Cinema version? Is that strictly for movies? Picture compared to 46" Sony?

I will mostly use it for DVD's and sports - so should I hold off on the sony for these new Toshibas? Any concrete date with prices anywhere? I am a little concerned about buying a newly released set - at least I have read 100's of review from KP46 owners - it would be an adventure to buy a new release.

Any info would help aq great deal!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you go to www.onecall.com you can find info on the current Toshibas and Sonys. There are two 2002 50" toshiba models. One is the 50H82, that doesn't have DVI-HDCP. The other is the 50HDX82, which does have DVI-HDCP. The HDX82's were the so-called "Cinema Series" last year, this year they are going to be the HX83's. The "Cinema Series" is just a title, and doesn't mean they are only for watching movies. I don't have one (yet), but everybody says that the Toshiba's are very good with HD, and great with 4:3 material.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmmm - looks like the Toshiba has everything I need from the Sony with:

extra 5 inches

no required stand

2 inches less in depth - important for my room

no flicker issues

Money not being an issue - how do the experts compare this Toshiba with the 46" Sony.

Tosh may be hard to find but I am gonna run out and take a look to compare.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
No flicker issues? hmmm. Do some more research ( www.***************.com )and you'll find BIG flicker issues with the Tosh sets. I've had 3 flickering 57hdx82 sets. Tosh has no service bulletin regarding this and some who've hade tubes replaced report the replacement tubes are flickering. It's an ongoing issue Toshiba will need to address like Sony did.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The top and bottom halves can be separated for ease of handling and moving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does every set have an issue!!! Man, I never had a problem with the many cheap TV's I have purchased the past 10 yrs - now in my research all I read about are picture, flicker and other issues! For a few thousand dollars it should not be so prevalent.

Think I'm going to stick with my 46" Sony - can I demand one that was manufactured in 2003 to cut down my flicker chances? I think I will be happy with this set - seems popular.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kiddnets
Does every set have an issue!!! Man, I never had a problem with the many cheap TV's I have purchased the past 10 yrs - now in my research all I read about are picture, flicker and other issues! For a few thousand dollars it should not be so prevalent.

Think I'm going to stick with my 46" Sony - can I demand one that was manufactured in 2003 to cut down my flicker chances? I think I will be happy with this set - seems popular.
Take a look at some of the write-ups at extremetech.com. They seem to support the observation that things are very complicated and...problem prone right now.

I also have a 10-year-old direct view CRT that still looks pretty good. Eventually all of this technology will be as reliable I guess.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Methinks that the constant lowering of prices has led to constant cheapening of innards and lower and lower build quality. My 26" Mitsubishi was about $800 in 1989. What's a new 27" TV cost?

How exactly is it going to be as good?

·
Registered
305 Posts
For info and prices on the new Toshiba line, go to www.twice.com - Breaking News - 5/9/2003 - "Toshiba Goes HD Integrated". Note that the TheaterWide LCoS 57HL83 is "only" $5,499.99 (September); while the Cinema Series LCoS 65HLX83 is $7,499.99 (October). Dick

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I will say this: $5,500 is a bargain compared to the original list price.

If there is better distribution, you might be able to get the new LCOS for $4,500 or so. That's still a lot of coin for an RPTV, but it's surely starting to get closer to the realm of reasonable.

I am taking it from the snippet Dick posted that the "little" one -- which is of course the same size as the current model -- will be available almost anywhere Toshiba is sold, as it's a TheaterWide. This leaves the "Big Bertha" model to the Cinema Series dealers.

I'd say that all sounds pretty promising for a technology that has sold -- in aggregate --

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMike
Can you get cabinet dimensions for the 46-inch models? Thanks!
The 46-inch model is uniquely referred to as "table top",

with an optional, extra, stand.

The 46HX83 is 43 3/8 x 40 ½ x 21 7/8 (W,H,D) at 145 Lbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.