AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 2828 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by cjut01
bump - anyone?

I really don't know how big the box was, since the packing materials were removed when it was delivered.

After watching these guys wrestle that 62" monster down my basement stairs. It is not easy to carry as there aren't any good handholds on it, and it is fairly heavy (165# if i remember right?)...

If you have a pickup I am sure it will fit with no problems, but if you have any sort of SUV I don't think there is any chance of it fitting (too tall).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Those of you who have traded you 525's for 725's.......is the green "halo" less evident on your new set? If so, it could be that the "halos" were adjusted out of the 725's before shipping, perhaps through a service menu setting. I'm thinking (and hoping) this is the case because these sets are suppose to all have identical innards.

Of course, if the green "halo" is just as prevalent then it's probably a user-incorrectable hardware issue.

Swappers, please post your observations. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, as advertised, I went to BB and got a good deal on a 62525. I used their current 10% discount promotion and I piled up more rewardzone points in the process.

TV is great out of the box, just had to do the obligatory things like turning down the contrast, etc. I'm more than happy with my purchase.

I am having one small problem though, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem as well. The Remote Control will not work unless I'm standing within 5 feet of the TV. It's definately not a problem with the remote control itself, as I've replaced the batteries and I have the same problem at least 3 different remote controls (2 of them Mits). I'm wondering if there is a problem with the IR receiver....any ideas?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
QGGeneric, the remote should work from a much greater distance. Make sure you are pointing the remote at the screen (the IR signal bounces off the mirror at the back of the set and is reflected to the sensor down by the light engine). If it's not working call your salesman and have it swapped out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks. I think the problem is the IR sensor. I wonder if that is a quick fix. I'll stop by BB tomorrow and see what's up. I'm really happy with the set and the picture I have now, but that one problem is annoying. (What's the point of having a remote if you have to stand so close to the TV to use it?)

If it takes an exchange to get a fully functional remote, then that's what I'll have to do.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by QGGeneric
Well, as advertised, I went to BB and got a good deal on a 62525. I used their current 10% discount promotion and I piled up more rewardzone points in the process.

TV is great out of the box, just had to do the obligatory things like turning down the contrast, etc. I'm more than happy with my purchase.

I am having one small problem though, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem as well. The Remote Control will not work unless I'm standing within 5 feet of the TV. It's definately not a problem with the remote control itself, as I've replaced the batteries and I have the same problem at least 3 different remote controls (2 of them Mits). I'm wondering if there is a problem with the IR receiver....any ideas?

I have the same set now for 4 days and am very happy with it. My position is about 8 feet from the TV and I have had no problem with the remote at all. The only potential problem I've had so far (and this may be my A/V receiver's fault) is audio dropouts using the coaxial DD5.1 output on the TV.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since I saw some owner picture settings earlier in this thread, I have a question for owners of 62"er...

While at BB, I was able to see the 52 & 62 side by side. 52 looked near perfect!, but I want to go bigger. 62 would be perfect for my viewing space, but is there a way to get the whites whiter? Are there any adjustments a person can do inside perfect color menu to help this, or is this just something you have to accept when going to the 10" larger screen (like the contrast and brightness not quite being as good either?)

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Benji
I have the same set now for 4 days and am very happy with it. My position is about 8 feet from the TV and I have had no problem with the remote at all. The only potential problem I've had so far (and this may be my A/V receiver's fault) is audio dropouts using the coaxial DD5.1 output on the TV.

Are you viewing via OTA or a STB?

I have had issues similar to this. My guess that it's not your equipment....it may be that the problem originates at the source - the broadcast itself - or enroute...the signal strength (or lack thereof) you're receiving.

Here's a small story... When I had regular 'digital cable' and was having issues with video pixelation and audio dropouts on my digital band channels. I had a tech come out, and found the culprit: it was a lower grade coax cable I had gotten from Radio Shack from the wall plug to the back of the STB. Apparently all cables aren't made the same. Some just aren't made to carry a digital signal very well. I promptly switched out the bad cable and all was well.

domer I didn't have a problem with bright whites on my 62". I was tuened in to HBOHD to watch the Jones Jr. boxing match last night, and the white shirts Lampley and Larry Merchant were wearing looked really, really white to me. Sorry, but I can't really offer any solutions....I've only owned the set for a day now. If your viewing space can support it...go for the 62", and avoid the buyer's regret.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I've had my 52525 for a little over a week now and all I can say is the PQ is excellent.

I am however experiencing the reset and tilt issues. My purchase was from BB and unfortunatley they will not be carrying the 52725, so I am forced to return my 52525 and will be getting a 52725 for $100.00 more from a local independent dealer in Schenectady, NY.

I certainly hope the glare is less with the 725 because the 525 is pretty bad in a well lit room and this is effecting my viewing as well. Probably more than the tilt issue. For the cost of the unit I feel everything should work perfectly.

Can anyone with the 725 please comment on the glare and if they feel it is less than the 525.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me what the initialize setting in the options menu does? I hit this on accident and it erased all my settings and it seems that my picture quality isn't as good as it was. The picture on my 62525 looks grainy and or just not in focus. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by QGGeneric
Thanks. I think the problem is the IR sensor. I wonder if that is a quick fix. I'll stop by BB tomorrow and see what's up. I'm really happy with the set and the picture I have now, but that one problem is annoying. (What's the point of having a remote if you have to stand so close to the TV to use it?)

If it takes an exchange to get a fully functional remote, then that's what I'll have to do.

At my store I have two 52525's on the floor. One of them has the same problem you are having. I think that it is an IR sensor also. We are supposed to have a service call on it this week. I will post a message it I find anything out.

Thanks Kevin Barduca (A-1)

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac3150
Well, I've had my 52525 for a little over a week now and all I can say is the PQ is excellent.

I am however experiencing the reset and tilt issues. My purchase was from BB and unfortunatley they will not be carrying the 52725, so I am forced to return my 52525 and will be getting a 52725 for $100.00 more from a local independent dealer in Schenectady, NY.

I certainly hope the glare is less with the 725 because the 525 is pretty bad in a well lit room and this is effecting my viewing as well. Probably more than the tilt issue. For the cost of the unit I feel everything should work perfectly.

Can anyone with the 725 please comment on the glare and if they feel it is less than the 525.

Thanks for any responses.

We have had our 52725 since Sept. 21, and are pleasantly suprised at the "NONGLARE" of the screen. We have a table lamp that reflects into the center of the screen, I have to WANT to see it in the TV. The only way it's visible is when the picture changes and I see a faint light in the screen. Other than that it's virtually invisible.

Hope this gets you excited.

Lyle

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
parlyle...do you know what if any other changes there are from the "525" to the "725" besides less glare on the protective screen? I am into my first week of owning a 62525 with a 30 day return policy from BB. I love the set (protective screen removed) but would consider a swap if I felt there was more than just the screen factor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mac3150

I never saw the xx525, but have owned the xx575 for two weeks now. At first I was a little disapointed in the anti-glare screen but now really don't notice the reflections much unless I look for them in dark sceens. The sales person at the store said the reflections on xx525 were very noticable, but the xx725 was much better, and I think he's right from listening to everyone.

I was thinking about returning it at first and then I remembered why I bought this set in the first place....... the picture quality is the best I've seen (and I looked at about just every DLP,LCD, XYZ out there).

dre

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by domer67
Since I saw some owner picture settings earlier in this thread, I have a question for owners of 62"er...

While at BB, I was able to see the 52 & 62 side by side. 52 looked near perfect!, but I want to go bigger. 62 would be perfect for my viewing space, but is there a way to get the whites whiter? Are there any adjustments a person can do inside perfect color menu to help this, or is this just something you have to accept when going to the 10" larger screen (like the contrast and brightness not quite being as good either?)

Dude, i feel the same way...I like the 62 size but it is not the same for some reason as the 52.. i dont think you can do anything to make it "bright".. You should not have to accept a dim picture because its a 62...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I returned my 52525 to (S) yesterday. I have a few points to make and then I'll move on.

Positives:

1)I bought it 3 weeks ago at (S) for approx 15% off list price. Also, purchased a stand for an extra 300 bucks.

2)Contrary to what you may have read Net-command is very cool and easy to implement. I loved it.

3)PQ was the best that I have seen on a DLP.

4)I never experienced any PQ problems at first.

5)Contrary to postings I think the picture is so bright that glare is not an issue. This TV's glare is like 90% of the units on the market. No problem.

6)flashed hardware with a linux kernel on a compact flash card and set linux to open up my garage door from the TV with the click of a button. Turned my MIT's into a linux router to handle incoming mail.

7)In my area NBC, WB and FOX digital HD programming is not encrypted so the TV diplays HD programming without digital cable service, cable box or cable card. Very strange.

Negatives:

1)Pricey for PQ.

2)#@%$^% the local cable installer, unless your lucky, they don't have a clue. Cable card is only good if you want to eliminate one component from your system and sacrifice features. It's a coolness factor.

3)Yes I agree with other posters that the fan needs to stop. I was aware of the running fan because I had read it here. But I thought that people were just nit picky and liked to complain, so I didn't tell my wife because I wanted to see if she would notice without any knowledge of it. After two days she noticed and wasn't happy about the sound and the waste of electricity.

4)I got CES (computer eye strain) from watching the TV.

5)In the third week I began to notice shadows, slight color issues and swirling noise. To be fair I can not rule out the source.

6)Speakers need more base and the voices are light. I think the plastic shroud on the front is poorly designed for sound enhancement.

Ultimately, I returned it and went back to an indirect view CRT. Don't count out this technology yet. I am not so sure that it will disappear next year like most people claim.

1661 - 1680 of 2828 Posts