AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1274 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my D1 a few months ago. However, if I knew that it was going to be radically different when HDMI, DVI, IEEE1394 and Video Transcoding (as Anthem calls it) was introduced then I would have waited. Heck, I may not even have given up my AVM20. I really don't understand why the D1 was introduced rather prematurely seeing as all of these hardware upgrades are already featured in many top end receivers. Heck, we don't even have DPLIIx yet on the D1 or AVM30 or AVM20. Is this bad advertising on Anthem's part? Even the chassis is going to change on the D1 in order to incorporate this hardware upgrade.

I'm rather disappointed that I bought the D1 now but I'm content that Anthem continues to support it's products with longevity.....the AVM20 will even qualify for this hardware upgrade. I feel that I will get a "refurbished" D1 if I decide to go for the upgrade. They'll take the parts out of my current D1 and move them over to the new chassis along with the new hardware. Is this how you see it?

Below is Anthem's comments........

For the upgrade, the preamp will have to be sent to the factory for the new chassis. There is no other way to get the new jacks added. There will be no difference between new production and retrofit.

PLIIx - release date unknown, but getting there. What is certain is that it will contain things that the D1 is already the first to have in terms of both THX and PLIIx.

Tentative info - scheduled for release in early 2005, we're working on a hardware upgrade for the AVM 20, AVM 30, and Statement D1 that will include:

- IEEE1394 input for DVD-A and SACD (2 inputs)

- HDMI inputs (4) and HDMI output (1). HDMI also accepts DVD-A.

- Video transcoding that runs S-Video, Component Video, and HDMI inputs through a scaler, then put out by both Component Video and HDMI (on-screen display included, and the difference between transcoding and so-called upconversion is that transcoding does all its work after S-Video and Component Video inputs are converted from analog to digital, resulting in a much better picture. HDMI is already digital. Upconversion is a misnomer - very often, the component video output looks pretty bad compared to S-Video input).

DVI - No plans to add connectors because DVI can be connected to HDMI input via adapter for the picture, and audio portion can be connected to any digital audio input jack, then re-assigning it to HDMI input in the setup menu.

Price to be announced when actual release date is approached.

· Registered
392 Posts
I'm sure the MSRP of the D1 with the new features will go up the same as the upgrade will cost, so other than the downtime of conversion your not missing anything and you've had all this time to enjoy your present D1

· Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Holy smokes. The 'new' D1 may be my next pre pro. But if the IR 7.1 beats it to market (with an upgrade from the 7) it may not :)

TM

· Premium Member
7,648 Posts
It's interesting. It's (unfortunately) long been my experience that any and all promised upgrades to products are late (compared to promised delivery timing), late (compared to when the feature is generally available elsewhere in new products), expensive (compared to buying new when factoring in original purchase), and a major inconvenience (having to take the unit to a dealer if not also send it to the mfr). And this assumes that they even are offered at all. Many owners of many different brands of equipment have been burned by shallow promises of upgrades...

Lex seems to be the best at this overall, but they're clearly far from perfect.

TM

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
I'm rather disappointed that I bought the D1 now but I'm content that Anthem continues to support it's products with longevity.....the AVM20 will even qualify for this hardware upgrade. I feel that I will get a "refurbished" D1 if I decide to go for the upgrade. They'll take the parts out of my current D1 and move them over to the new chassis along with the new hardware. Is this how you see it?
No, not at all. What other manufacturer is offering 1394, HDMI, + Trans-coding on a current product AND back to a 3 yo product (AVM 20)? B&K, Rotel, Integra?

Would you rather not have them offer to upgrade your unit to current technology, where you would then be forced to buy a newer model in a few years time?

The likely cost of the upgrade will be D1 + Upgrade cost = adjusted D1 MSRP. No loss there for current customers, except the down time for the upgrade, but you also have had plenty of use from the D1 for several months too.

Refurbished? I don't see it this way at all. You will send your D1 to Anthem for the upgrade they will add brand new parts to your chassis to meet the new design, it will be done by their trained staff and will be fully warrantied.... how will this upgraded pre/pro be any different than buying a new D1 with the newer design already in place?

I for one applaud Anthem for offering the newest technology and actually following thru with the promise of an upgradeable Pre/pro. IMO they are one of the few companies that deliver on this promise.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rmassey,

Thanks.

If the chassis is changing, then an upgraded D1 should include the new chassis? I wonder if it will have the "weird" handles (the new chassis that is). Also, if it's a new chassis, I guess Anthem would transfer parts from our current D1 to the new chassis along with the additional hardware upgrades. Maybe they'll just change it for a D1 that's already built:)

· Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
The likely cost of the upgrade will be D1 + Upgrade cost = adjusted D1 MSRP. No loss there for current customers,

This remains to be seen, and frankly I doubt this. Most upgrades in this industry, even the generous ones, usually come in such that original purchase + upgrade > new purchase alone. We'll see of course, and if Anthem does it as you say I'll be strongly attracted to them as a customer. I doubt it though. I'll be happy to be proven wrong...

TM

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
This remains to be seen, and frankly I doubt this. Most upgrades in this industry, even the generous ones, usually come in such that original purchase + upgrade > new purchase alone. We'll see of course, and if Anthem does it as you say I'll be strongly attracted to them as a customer. I doubt it though. I'll be happy to be proven wrong...

TM
This is exactly what they did for the AVM Ver 2 upgrade, when they added a new DSP board to add DLPII. So they do have a past history that favors this pricing model.

Plus, given the current prices of $2999 for the AVM 30 and $4999 for the D1, I think if they raise the prices too much or charge too much for this upgrade, they will be pricing their products out of the market.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Razvanel
I would pay $300 for the upgrade. If it costs more than that then I'll pass.

R
Dream on..... 1394, HDMI, Video trancoding/scaler and having to swap out the whole rear panel to accomodate the new rear connectors..... yeah, OK, sure. :)

· Premium Member
37,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
Dream on..... 1394, HDMI, Video trancoding/scaler and having to swap out the whole rear panel to accomodate the new rear connectors..... yeah, OK, sure. :)
How much is it supposed to cost? I have been looking hard at the D1 but was waiting on when the upgrades were already implemented. But if this upgrade is not going to happen for another 6mos or so I may just purchase one now depending on what the upgrade cost would be.

Jim

· Registered
1,814 Posts
I have no idea what the cost will be, but look at it this way, if they are to raise the price of the D1 to D1 + upgrade, how much do they have to work with before they are too high on the new D1 pricing. With the D1 currently at $5k, if this new upgrade cost is $1K, then they might raise the MSRP of the D1 to $6K. this is getting pretty steep for a processor. likewise for the AVM currntly at $3k, I think a price adjustment to $4k will put it into an odd price point and sales will drop off.

My guess is this upgrade will be

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi guys!

Guess what I just picked up today?

Yes! The awesome D1 coupled to the A5.

Also picked up the Paradigm S8 to complete the setup.

(already have the C5, ADp and the Sig Servo.)

Can't wait to do the install!!

Shall I spring the extra for the P5 amp?

Is it worth the difference?

Or will I hear the difference?

Boy isn't spending money a pleasure?

It's a different high compared to sex....

· Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody

TM
Well, Anthem told me EXACTLY that; as it was one of my concerns too. He said it will be within $50 of the new MSRP. So it essentially comes down to whether its worth saving $50 to not get it soon.

FWIW.

· Premium Member
37,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kincade
Well, Anthem told me EXACTLY that; as it was one of my concerns too. He said it will be within $50 of the new MSRP. So it essentially comes down to whether its worth saving $50 to not get it soon.

FWIW.
But there is no indication yet what the new MSRP will be yet is there? Sorry if it has already been posted, but I only check this thread on occasion to see how things have progressed.

Jim

· Registered
318 Posts
Well; they gave me an indication, but it really didn't seem to be public information. I'd suggest calling them for more info if it's in your mind. I honestly haven't decided one way or another as it stands. Not sure I want to be out a processor for 3 weeks regardless of the cost.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anything more than $500 Canadian is steep for the upgrade. The D1 is already very expensive, without these upgrades, and I think that Anthem should not have introduced this product until these upgrades were ready to go. I guess this is why Integra has not replaced their RDC7 yet?

I was most excited about DPLIIx which we don't even have yet. In the end, the AVM20, AVM30 and D1 will all be just as capable but the big difference will be if you can hear the distinct sound between them and if that distinction justifies the price increase as you go up the rank.

· Registered
2,154 Posts
The fact that the D1, for that matter all the Anthem processors, are both software and hardware upgradeable is one of the main reasons I decided to go with the D1. So obviously I will be sending my D1 in for the upgrade as soon as it becomes available, if not sooner. We'll probably just use a receiver from our bedroom system in the mean time.

Is early next year now the timetable for the upgrade? I'd heard, "before the end of this year"

Regards,

dc

1 - 20 of 1274 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.