AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please place all related comments here, and don't forget to mention your source and provider! Cities, station call letters, DBS, cableco, etc.

Tonight's FOX NCLS HDTV game:

Houston Astros @ St. Louis Cardinals

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HD & 5.1

It looks and sounds great via WJBK-DT / Comcast.

· Registered
105 Posts
Looked about the same as the ALCS here in LA OTA. My only gripe is that the advertising behind home plate looks AWFUL. Please, FOX find a way to make it look better, it looks like something from a faux widescreen broadcast with all the ugly NTSC artifacts. It is really distracting when the rest of the picture looks so good.

· Registered
218 Posts
D* ch. 89, PQ looks good but over-sharpened compared to ALCS and games on ESPN. Also some cameras look softer/darker than others. I guess they are still learning. The 5.1 audio is great! I could hear a vendor yelling "Bud Light!" in the rears.

· Registered
21 Posts
HD/5.1 OTA via WJBK-TV Channel 2 in Detroit.

Looked Great

· Registered
45 Posts
D* on channel 89. My second HD baseball game, ever. Last night was my first - popped my HD baseball cherry. Looked gorgeous. I loved the way the logo looks on the grass behind home plate during the Yankees game last night.

Way to go DirecTV for getting this up so some of us can watch it.

I wish I wasn't so sick with the flu. All that dang cough syrup! I kept dozing in and out watching the HD rain on the field before the game started. Anyways, it was cool.

Dodger fan as well!

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Incidentally, back on topic, I viewed this game on FOX25Boston and thought the PQ was outstanding, equal to the best I have seen on any source. I viewed in native 720p on a Mits DLP WD-62725. The closeups of the players especially had that WOW effect. Great job FOX!

· Registered
45,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, I couldn't start the topic until 10:40pm ET, well into the 6th inning. By that point most comments were already in the DirecTV / FOX topic. Sorry.

· Registered
164 Posts
Yes, I watched and was impressed with the PQ despite the rain. WTTE 36 OTA here in Columbus. The only question I have is why they moved the primary centerfield camera back and to the right (toward leftfield) from the normal position at Busch Stadium. Was it like this for game 1 (BoSox-Yanks were on here in Columbus)?

· Registered
2,943 Posts
Rain tends to make the pictures look a little better. The extra shine off the helmets is a pleasing effect. Yes, the cameras had too much detail enhancement. There is a smear that results in "extra" sharpening when the either the player stops or the camera stops moving. You'd think progressive scanning (insert magic sound -- it is FOX, y'know) might help with this, but it's almost as bad as when cameras had tubes in them.

What bugged me more was that many of the cameras weren't color-matched properly. Every shot seemed like a different ballpark. I realize that the batter-cam, "blimp" and super slo-mo cameras are different, but all the rest should match quite closely. As they do on the ALCS broadcasts.

· Registered
247 Posts
Game looked great via WRSP Springfield, IL.

People should watch so they can see WHO is going to kick the crap out of their over hyped Northeastern team and HOW they are going to do it in the WS. ;-)

· Registered
704 Posts
Watched on D* and KRIV 26-1 OTA. OTA was a little crisper ( as expected )but not by much. Think its a little late for the Astros bullpen to get on the 'roids ?? Rocket and Oswalt this weekend. Series tied 2-2. Then back to that lovely weather in St. Louis. Why didn't y'all close the roof last night ???

Bill

· Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wjg
Watched on D* and KRIV 26-1 OTA. OTA was a little crisper ( as expected )but not by much. Think its a little late for the Astros bullpen to get on the 'roids ?? Rocket and Oswalt this weekend. Series tied 2-2. Then back to that lovely weather in St. Louis. Why didn't y'all close the roof last night ???

Bill
I'm not sure if you're kidding, but in case you're not, Busch Stadium does not have a roof, and they play 3 in Houston before going back to St. Louis.

· Banned
3,669 Posts
Also here in central NJ it looked OK via HDTV from Cablevision.The yankees game looked much better.This really was not that crisp and had some real problems with the field.It just did not look great. J.H.

· Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EAW
Game looked great via WRSP Springfield, IL.

People should watch so they can see WHO is going to kick the crap out of their over hyped Northeastern team and HOW they are going to do it in the WS. ;-)
I was mostly watching Louisville/Miami, but what I saw on DirecTv looked a little washed out to me. Maybe it was the rain having the opposite affect on me.

I'll tell you right now that neither of these teams scare me. Certain players scare me (Pujols, Beltran), but the teams dont. Last year, the Marlins scared the crap out of me with their pitching and their speed and I was right on.

· Registered
537 Posts
If that was HD that was the poorest center field HD camera I have ever seen. I was on this board last night trying to say there was no way this was HD. I wonder if they are using some 480 P camera's then. My wife even commented how poor this looked from the centerfield camera with the hitter and pitcher....I guess I am used to iNHD and Comcast HD baseball. Of course ESPN never looked this poor and the NY series looks much better....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.