AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob Cole announced it on HNIC tonight. Rogers will probably throw it on their demo HD channel like the Heritage and outdoor game back in November.

Moderators Note:

2004 NHL All Star Weekend Schedule, at St. Paul, Minnesota

All Times ET

CBC

Saturday 2/7

NHL All-Star YoungStars Game & SuperSkills, 6:30pm

Sunday 2/8

NHL All-Star Game, 3pm

ABC

Sunday 2/8

NHL All Star Game, 3pm

ESPN

Saturday 2/7

NHL Super Skills/Young Stars, 9pm

Excerpted from CBC Sports Online:

The NHL filled out its all-star rosters for the the 54th NHL All-Star Game.

Added to the Eastern Conference's roster were:

Jose Theodore, Sheldon Souray - Montreal Canadiens

Wade Redden, Marian Hossa, Daniel Alfredsson - Ottawa Senators

Jaromir Jagr, Robert Lang - Washington Capitals

Jeremy Roenick, Keith Primeau - Philadelphia Flyers

Mark Messier - New York Rangers

Adrian Aucoin - New York Islanders

Nick Boynton - Boston Bruins

Roberto Luongo - Florida Panthers

Gary Roberts, Mats Sundin - Toronto Maple Leafs

The Western Conference additions include:

Markus Naslund - Vancouver Canucks

Jarome Iginla - Calgary Flames

Markus Naslund - Vancouver Canucks

Rick Nash - Columbus Blue Jackets

Pavel Datsyuk - Detroit Red Wings

Joe Sakic, Alex Tanguay - Colorado Avalanche

Chris Pronger, Keith Tkachuk - St. Louis Blues

Kimmo Timonen, Tomas Vokoun - Nashville Predators

Dwayne Roloson, Filip Kuba - Minnesota Wild

Shane Doan - Phoenix Coyotes

Patrick Marleau - San Jose Sharks

Mattias Norstrom - Los Angeles Kings

Nash, the NHL's goal-scoring leader, will be first teenager to play in an all-star game since 1992.

The starting lineups for the game were decided by a fan vote and were announced earlier this month.

New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur will be the starting goalie for the East. On the blueline will be Brodeur's teammates: Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. Joe Thornton of Boston, Ilya Kovalchuk of the Atlanta Thrashers and Martin St. Louis of the Tampa Bay Lightning will be the starting forwards.

Joining the Vancouver Canucks Todd Bertuzzi on the Western Conference's top line are Dallas Stars forwards Mike Modano and Bill Guerin. Marty Turco will start in goal, giving the Stars three players in the West's starting lineup. Nicklas Lidstrom of the Detroit Red Wings and Rob Blake of the Avalanche will start on defence.

Pat Quinn of the Toronto Maple Leafs will be the head coach for the Eastern Conference All-Stars. Detroit Red Wings coach Dave Lewis was selected as bench boss for the West. The two coaches earned the honour because their teams were in first place in their respective conferences as of Jan. 8.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think there is little to no chance that HD-Net can do this, as ABC holds the rights to the All-Star game and is broadcasting it.

However, the fact that it will be in HD on CBC leads me to believe that ABC will have it in HD as well as they would likely be pooling crews anyway for rink shots. So the only thing you'll be missing is good commentators. ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
So the only thing you'll be missing is good commentators. ;)
This is exactly why I miss hockey soooo much. I'm sorry but Barry Melrose just doesn't cut it. It was so nice to hear Ron McClain and Grapes again on TV that it is simply painful to have to watch ABC and there commentators "try" to call a game.

Too bad they couldn't share the announcers too. :)

Michael.

P.S. Has anyone heard the buzz about a team (read: Nashville Predators) contacting Winnipeg about a possible move? Exciting news :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mike Emrick does a phenominal job calling games for ABC. He's the only one that could hold a candle to the CBC crew. Then Gary Thorne. Everyone else on ABC/ESPN runs a distant third.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:
Mike Emrick does a phenominal job calling games for ABC. He's the only one that could hold a candle to the CBC crew. Then Gary Thorne. Everyone else on ABC/ESPN runs a distant third.
Truer words were never spoken...although, Gary Throne is a distant, DISTANT, DDDDDIIIIIIIISSSSSStant 2nd to Doc Emrick. I mean Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda on the San Jose games are the only ones who can come close to Doc and Chico.

A few tips for Gary Thorne;

1. It is pronounced SCHN-EYE-DER, not SN-EYE-DER. It's Matthieu SCHN-EYE-DER (Yes, I know how it is spelled. Schneider)

2. The puck, no matter how fluid it seems, does not SQUIRT anywhere (they all do this, but Gary Thorne is horrible at it).

3. Again, it's Steven RINE-PREKT, Not Steve RINE-PRET. RINE-PREKT. (Flames: Steve Reinprecht.)

4. Finally, if you haven't figured it out by now, I suggest Gary that you work on actually pronouncing the 'ch' sound that seems to have eluded you all these years.

Quote:
Originally posted by MSilla

P.S. Has anyone heard the buzz about a team (read: Nashville Predators) contacting Winnipeg about a possible move? Exciting news :)
Nashville isn't going anywhere.

Pittsburgh is, and there have been rumors about Pittsburgh to Winnipeg , but it won't happen.

Get ready for the Mario Lemieux owned....Portland Penguins.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by generationxwing
Are you sure? Those Penguins rumours are "old" and yes, there is no way that they are moving to Winnipeg. There was a story from the 17th here which throws out some speculation about an American based team contacting the Deputy Mayor about relocating to Winnipeg.

A gentleman running a pro-NHL in Winnipeg site alludes to a possible connection to the Predators but his site now has mention of a "SunBelt" team showing interest (with a link to the first article I gave a link to.

Nothing concrete or definite that's for sure but exciting and torturing for Jets fans :)

Hopefully we will know more in the next few weeks.

Michael

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't know where people are coming up with Nashville, they aren't in any financial trouble, while their attendance may be bottom dwelling, they've got some good stadium and TV deals.

It's Pittsburgh or Florida. But neither of them will land in Winnipeg. There are too many U.S. cities Basketball Bettman wants to weasel into before returning to Canada.

That could all change if they actually get a solid revenue sharing deal in the C.B.A......and pigs will fly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
That could all change if they actually get a solid revenue sharing deal in the C.B.A......and pigs will fly.
AGREED!

If the NHL could only look at the NFL for inspiration.....

Michael.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:

1. It is pronounced SCHN-EYE-DER, not SN-EYE-DER. It's Matthieu SCHN-EYE-DER (Yes, I know how it is spelled. Schneider)

2. The puck, no matter how fluid it seems, does not SQUIRT anywhere (they all do this, but Gary Thorne is horrible at it).

3. Again, it's Steven RINE-PREKT, Not Steve RINE-PRET. RINE-PREKT. (Flames: Steve Reinprecht.)

4. Finally, if you haven't figured it out by now, I suggest Gary that you work on actually pronouncing the 'ch' sound that seems to have eluded you all these years.
LOL! Funny post. Thorne does butcher names, huh?! I noticed the Snyder/Schneider mispronunciation during one of the games too. Thorne's delivery is like a shot of tequila while Emrick is like a smooth cognac.

Also an educational post. I've learned that there are Winnipeg Jets Memorial web sites out there. Sheesh!

Final Note: NY Rangers in those retro mid 70's sweaters played nearly as bad as the team that wore them originally.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
I think there is little to no chance that HD-Net can do this, as ABC holds the rights to the All-Star game and is broadcasting it.
Sadly, ABC isn't broadcasting HD in Denver (at least not at power levels that can be reached by most of the residents). But I agree, the odds of HDNet being able to simulcast something that'll be on ABC are zippo.

At least there's the skills competition the night before on ESPN-HD.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I don't mind Emerick.. but Thorne and Clement and the gang annoy the whizz out of me. Personally, I think Steve Levy does the best job of the ESPN commentators, but gets little run unless the games are being broadcast at the same time in different parts of the country.. like Saturdays.

Later,

Jeff

Quote:
Truer words were never spoken...although, Gary Throne is a distant, DISTANT, DDDDDIIIIIIIISSSSSStant 2nd to Doc Emrick. I mean Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda on the San Jose games are the only ones who can come close to Doc and Chico.

Pittsburgh is, and there have been rumors about Pittsburgh to Winnipeg , but it won't happen.

Get ready for the Mario Lemieux owned....Portland Penguins.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It's on ABC, but whether they do HD or not, I haven't heard. They did some playoff games last year in HD, so it's not like they haven't.

·
Registered
372 Posts
AFAIK, the game will be HD on ABC. ESPN will have the Skills competition and the Young Guns game in HD so why would they roll the trucks out before the game?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Excerpted from The Globe and Mail:
Quote:
High-definition sports broadcasts coming up in Canada include next weekend's NHL all-star game on the CBC and ABC............................ and the Montreal Canadiens-Toronto Maple Leafs prime-time game during the CBC's Hockey Day in Canada on Feb. 21.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pbryan
Any news on whether somebody will pick up the HD broadcast in the US?
Yes, see the revised first post.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.