AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 418 Posts

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV is pleased to announce they will carry FOX coverage of Major League Baseball's American League & National League Championship Series, and the World Series, in HDTV & Dolby Digital 5.1. The HD feed is sourced from the FOX owned and operated stations in New York City & Los Angeles, and is found on DirecTV channels 88 & 89.

All Times ET

The World Series

American League Champion Boston Red Sox vs. National League Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Red Sox finally end the curse with an 8 game winning streak. Good for them.

Game 1 St. Louis Cardinals 9, Boston Red Sox 11

Game 2 St. Louis Cardinals 2, Boston Red Sox 6

Game 3 Boston Red Sox 4, St. Louis Cardinals 1

Game 4 Boston Red Sox 3, St. Louis Cardinals 0

Game 5* Boston Red Sox @ St. Louis Cardinals Thursday Oct. 28 8:00 p.m.

Game 6* St. Louis Cardinals @ Boston Red Sox Saturday Oct. 30 7:30 p.m.

Game 7* St. Louis Cardinals @ Boston Red Sox Sunday Oct. 31 7:30 p.m.

* If necessary

Please Note:

- MLB Playoff LCS & WS games are not available to all DirecTV subscribers, contact DirecTV for details.

- This topic contains valuable information on first hand DirecTV subscriber experience for getting the FOX HD feed. If you are having problems getting activated (Call ext. 721, etc.), you may want to read the entire topic.

- This not the beginning of the full time DirecTV carriage of FOX HD feeds. At this time there is no information on when DirecTV will add FOX HD.

· Registered
332 Posts
Could you clarify as to whether those relying on waivers for the delivery of the SD E/W feeds will qualify for the HD games? I saw of a lot of concerns about that in another thread, but wasn't able to check my own reception last night.

· Registered
589 Posts
I wasn't able to get it on my directv......At 8 it came on for a second then told me I couldn't get it.......

This is where cable has it all over Directv...At least with cable I get ABC and NBC....Directv won't give you these channels if you have a carrier in your area...I'm fortunate I have an antenna to get the HD Fox channel. My father in law has no antenna so he could only watch the standard broadcast of the Sox game....I don't understand this!!

Rick

· Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toothy mako
Could you clarify as to whether those relying on waivers for the delivery of the SD E/W feeds will qualify for the HD games? I saw of a lot of concerns about that in another thread, but wasn't able to check my own reception last night.
Unless something changed from last night, ONLY people in O&O markets will get the games. People with waivers or in white areas will not get the games. Why, I have no idea, especially with people with waivers.

If this is still the case, Ken should probably add this to his post.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
I can see the logic where at the Olympics, the 382 & 383 NBC SD feeds were different than the 82 HD feed, but where the 88 HD feed from Fox is the same as 388, it makes no sense to block the broadcast in HD to white area or waiver people who will see the same comercials anyway.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I have abandoned all hope of extracting logical explanations for this type of restriction (namely O&O only). I can receive the SD versions of FOX NY, FOX LA, FOX Columbus and FOX Sports NET Ohio, so why restrict my access to FOX HD?

If the FOX digital channel is not added before the end of football season, then they can wait until next year for all I care.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by perilous
Thanks Ken...clear and concise info!
Yes, as opposed to my explanation last night.

· Registered
45,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_IV
Unless something changed from last night, ONLY people in O&O markets will get the games. People with waivers or in white areas will not get the games. Why, I have no idea, especially with people with waivers.

If this is still the case, Ken should probably add this to his post.
To be candid, I don't know what the requirements are to receive this channel. I can only assume based on what others have reported it's the O&O areas only.

· Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JMMHouston
I live in an O&O area in Houston and was not able to get that channel. I got the Ordering Information message on my screen. I had to watch the horror in SD on FSN SW.
Dave99AG in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...n&pagenumber=4

reports being in Houston and receiving the game. I'd call D*, sounds like a mistake.

· Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_IV
It's speculation, but O&O areas are where NewsCorp owns the local stations which hold exclusive broadcast rights to the games in their coverage areas. Charlie can't scream unfair competition in those areas. In white areas or with waiver holders, he could.

And I'm basing this on the speculation in the other thread that Charlie is the holdup to the whole Fox E/W HD thing. Heck, it could just be that D* hasn't gotten around to coding white areas since a lot of this came about last-minute.

· Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JMMHouston
I live in an O&O area in Houston and was not able to get that channel. I got the Ordering Information message on my screen. I had to watch the horror in SD on FSN SW.
Quote:
Wed 10/13, only the ALCS Red Sox/Yankees game is available.
I would be willing to bet you will get the Astros game tonight.

· Premium Member
969 Posts
JMMHouston - My experience in Houston last night was consistent with Ken's list at the top of the thread. The Astros/Cardinals game last night was in HD on KRIV-DT, Channel 26.2 OTA or Channel 309 via TWC but was only available in SD via D* Channel 643 FSN SW. Channel 88 on D* had the Yankees/Red Sox in HD.

· Registered
807 Posts
I had the East Coast feed for the Yankees/Redsocks game until the top of the 9th, then the screen went to the DV logo and the faux jazz. What was up with that?

· Registered
253 Posts
Same for me MR. I was on the phone at the time, and the screen went to the D* blue screen and I literally said 'WTF!"

Ken, thanks for all your great info! Much apprecaited as always!

· Registered
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by the-sloth
why can't D* correct this problem for those of us with waivers who are getting hosed?
Hosed???? I'll tell you hosed...I'm not in O&O market, have no waivers

and my local Fox station pre-empted for the Presidential debate!!

No baseball for me!!:mad:

· Registered
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kmullen
Hosed???? I'll tell you hosed...I'm not in O&O market, have no waivers

and my local Fox station pre-empted for the Presidential debate!!

No baseball for me!!:mad:
d'oh! that IS bad. i watched the game on Fox5 (388) and they showed the debate delayed at like midnight. it's not like the debate wasn't on every other effing channel (including Fox's own news channel FoxNews). what a shame.

1 - 20 of 418 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.