AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

2007/2008 Mitsubishi LCD line.

1396 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Dominus
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
In terms of specs there is nothing wrong with those displays but the stated prices are more than a bit high when compared to LCDs with similar specs from Toshiba. For instance the 52LX177 has an MSRP of $4000 while the LT-52144 has an MSRP of $5100.
All the HDTV's come to market with an inflated announced MSRP. Once they hit the retail channels the prices plummet dramatically when competition from other brands kicks in. The Olevia 747i I bought in early March (a Mitsu LT-46231 was my second choice; love PIP 1080p!
) cost me a C-note shy of 3K, but now I could get the same TV for just two grand. If you like the new Mitsu and Tosh LCD's just wait for them to be released, wait a few months (which will coincide with the holidays) and pounce of what will likely be a deal worth a couple of grand less than the announced MSRP.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/0

All the HDTV's come to market with an inflated announced MSRP. Once they hit the retail channels the prices plummet dramatically when competition from other brands kicks in. The Olevia 747i I bought in early March (a Mitsu LT-46231 was my second choice; love PIP 1080p!
) cost me a C-note shy of 3K, but now I could get the same TV for just two grand. If you like the new Mitsu and Tosh LCD's just wait for them to be released, wait a few months (which will coincide with the holidays) and pounce of what will likely be a deal worth a couple of grand less than the announced MSRP.

Concur 100% with this. Initial MSRP with no inventory in place is for early adopter suckers with money to throw away I guess - even the discount etailors show very little at the point of debut until competition is at hand. Even the Sharp D92's in just 30-60 days dropped well below MSRP shortly thereafter.

The only time I've seen it reversed is at BB when the Bravia line in 2005/2006 was in short supply and BB had exclusive distribution for a few months they actually inflated ABOVE MSRP but that is a rarity - proving the laws of Supply and Demand. Selling above is legal but to consumers may not be to ethical and smacks of price fixing IMO but once in the distribution channels the market and competition will force a reality check and we benefit with a healthy supply chain (sort of like gasoline being a perfect example we can all relate to I'm sure). I recommend setting your price target threshold of lets say 30% or whatever your budget may be to jump without too much buyers remorse.

My 57" Sharp is a perfect example - Debuted at about $16K MSRP and I waited 5 months and Sharp dropped the MSRP by 50% 10/2/2006 and then negotiated another 20% from there 3 weeks later and that became my jump in point knowing full well what pricing may do a year later. So waiting 6 months I got mine for $6500 when six months earlier it was $16K MSRP. Patience is bitter but it's fruit is sweet. That became my Jump in or trigger pull point knowing full well I'm not going to wait year after year. No remorse.
See less See more
I will be seriously looking at the LT-40134 since it will fit in my antiquated 4:3 entertainment center without a problem.

I plan to put this model up against the new Sammy 81 Series and pick a winner.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.