AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 9438 Posts

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist /forum/post/0

Are you using that 65k worklight from Walmart? If not, what are you using?

Any 6,500 degrees Kelvin light is fine as long as it's not too bright. I'm using the Ideal-Lume, because I couldn't find a cheaper one around here. It includes neutral filters so you can adjust the brightness. Our's is using the maximum amount of filter so it's very dim.

It helps perceived black levels and eye strain.

CinemaQuest

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings /forum/post/0

I could even see RBE on my Pioneer CMX-503 plasma with Sin City, kind of a brownish tint RBE.

I have no idea what you saw in Sin City.

It wasn't the famous rainbow effect which is a flash of red, green and blue off of a bright object moving across a dark background. You can also cause it by providing the movement with your eyes.

A spinning device like a color wheel has to be involved in creating the impression that the black and white image is colored. For a moment the "eyes/brain" of some viewers fail to do the trick, and they see a flash of the component colors that make up the bright image.

Because white is made up of equal parts of red, green, and blue it's the most common trigger for rainbows.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
htwaits,

How do you have it mounted?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

Any 6,500 degrees Kelvin light is fine as long as it's not too bright. I'm using the Ideal-Lume, because I couldn't find a cheaper one around here. It includes neutral filters so you can adjust the brightness. Ours is using the maximum amount of filter so it's very dim.

It helps perceived black levels and eye strain.

CinemaQuest

Thanks, I'll check that out!

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD /forum/post/0

htwaits,

How do you have it mounted?

It's just sitting on the back edge of the IKEA OPPLI stand behind the TV. It's not perfect but it works. It's plugged into the switched outlet on our A/V receiver which we always use for sound.

I tried mounting the light with velcro but I couldn't find any that would stick to the Samsung case.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Am I the only one more anxious for Saturday than pharmacist is?

pharmacist, do you do any gaming? The complaint about the old Mits sets I saw a lot of was related to lag when plugging a console like a PS2/XBox/360 to the TV... do you have any such devices to test in a fast twitch game like a FPS?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Given how reliable my 10 year old Mitsu TV has been, even through 5 moves across the country, I hope that these new ones will be just as reliable!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk /forum/post/0

Am I the only one more anxious for Saturday than pharmacist is?

pharmacist, do you do any gaming? The complaint about the old Mits sets I saw a lot of was related to lag when plugging a console like a PS2/XBox/360 to the TV... do you have any such devices to test in a fast twitch game like a FPS?

I haven't gamed for a while and when I did, it was on the computer. Half-life 2 was the last game I played regularly. I'm in an MBA program so I don't get the time to do that as much as I used to. The good news is that I'm nearly done so I am planning to get an PS3 if the wife doesn't protest.

I'm anxious for the TV
... I guess my only concern is that the model I bought doesn't have the Dark Detailer enhancement. I didn't know that when I bought it yesterday
(salesman didn't know and neither did I being a new model. I just realized that today, actually. I'm really hoping that it doesn't negatively affect the picture quality. Anyway, I'm still excited about the set and hopeful that I'll have it for at least 5 years.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedin /forum/post/0

Does the new light engine wobble?

All 1080p RPTV light engines use wobulated DMD chips.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

All 1080p RPTV light engines use wobulated DMD chips.

I have not sensed that this is a problem, it just sounds like a technical shortcut...

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:

I have not sensed that this is a problem, it just sounds like a technical shortcut...

One positive is that it eliminated SDE (screen door effect). I've always liked it. Some hate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At the moment, I'm planning on getting a 57831, but am concerned that the bulb is too much. 180 watts seems pretty hot for a 57". It's not a bright room, either. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

Quote:

At the moment, I'm planning on getting a 57831, but am concerned that the bulb is too much. 180 watts seems pretty hot for a 57". It's not a bright room, either. Thoughts?

The base unit I am getting uses 150 watts so I'm not sure that it's that big of a difference... I guess I wouldn't make my decision based on that either way

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:

The base unit I am getting uses 150 watts so I'm not sure that it's that big of a difference... I guess I wouldn't make my decision based on that either way

You're right. I noticed a tendency for some to overthink things a bit on these forums. I'll feel right at home here...

·
Registered
5,761 Posts

Quote:

Yeah, I think it's going to be a nice set. Like the previous poster, you indicate that you want the 732 series. Any particular reason why?

Basically two reasons. First, I'd rather have the black trim over the dark gray. Second and most importantly, HH Gregg will likely carry the 732 series. BB will probaly carry the 731 series and probably give 10% off while HH Gregg will discount around 20% off making the price of the two about the same
. If HH were to carry the 732 73"er and the price is low enough that'd be the one I'd most be interested in.

Oh and by the way, if you want to reduce the noise on the Mits, certainly turn off Sharp edge or if you do turn it on turn the sharpness down a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm finishing a home theatre room in my basement now and preplanned two HDMI connectors for the TV. I did run an extra conduit for future cables but i fear the DVI connectors will be too large to fit.

Does anyone know if i can use a standard DVI adapter to my HDMI cables for the PC DVI connection on the back of new sets?

I know this is trivial for standard DVI but I'm not sure about the PC DVI angle to it.

tia,

msd

41 - 60 of 9438 Posts