AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 NHL All Star Game

Eastern Conference All Stars vs. Western Conference All Stars

Live from The American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX

In 1080i HDTV & DD2.0, in the US on Versus & in Canada on the CBC

8pm ET

Quote:
DALLAS -- Few will argue that the future is now for the NHL as a new crop of young, exciting players takes on larger and larger roles in the League.

That's never more apparent than by looking at the rosters for tonight's 2007 NHL All-Star Game (8 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio), where scores of first-time All-Stars are mirroring the youth movement that has taken the NHL by storm.

Front and center, of course, are Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and Washington's Alexander Ovechkin, two of the most dynamic players to enter the NHL in years. But Crosby and Ovechkin aren't alone, not by any stretch.

"I think we have a strong group of players," Crosby said, pointing to the likes of Calgary's Dion Phaneuf, Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin, New Jersey's Zach Parise, Nashville's Alex Radulov and Shea Weber, the Kings' Anze Kopitar and Boston's Phil Kessel. "We're able to show what the league's capable of. I don't think it's up to one or two guys. I think there's a group of guys and I think we have to take it upon ourselves to be good role models and bring interest to the game.

"But for the most part it's going to be our on-ice performance that does that," Crosby said. "So the focus has to be on playing, but at the same time you want to bring the fans and the interest. We all love to play. We want to see other people have that same experience when they see games."

The All-Star coaches also realize their jobs will be different because of the infusion of talent to their respective NHL clubs.

"Obviously the landscape of the NHL has changed in the past two years and it's vitally important for your group to have the skill level and the skill level that's being afforded from the junior level and from the colleges, it might be at an all-time high," Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle said. "But I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of dollars being spent. You need these young players, skilled young players to make a contribution to your lineup to have success with the parity that's now taking place in the league and the amount of dollars that are spread out. It's a tougher job for your general manager and your scouting staff to provide you with the highest skilled players."

"I think a lot of young talent has taken over from the standpoint of the young talent that's in Pittsburgh and basically the young talent that's around the league," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "Tremendous young talent. And, you know, a lot of these players are first-, second-year players that have shown they're real players in this league. I think you saw the change-over from post lockout, where speed and skill kills. These players have dominated the game and have made the game exciting. Have made it a lot more dramatic than it was in the past."

"The game will keep evolving as we keep going further," Predators coach Barry Trotz said. "You look at the young players, the Crosbys and the Malkins and Ovechkins, they're going to evolve this game to a higher level and different level and the coaches will be doing different things than we are right now."

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Versus, formerly known as OLN, is averaging about 150,000 households a night for its NHL broadcasts. That makes the NHL one of the least-watched pro sports in the U.S. The move to Versus from NBC all but guarantees this year's all-star broadcast will be the smallest all-star audience ever in the U.S., even with this year's game shifting to Wednesday night from Sunday to avoid going head-to-head with the NFL.
Hockey TV versus apathy

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames /forum/post/0

Does anyone know if Versus has always used those cameras that glide along the top of the glass? Are they HD cameras? The PQ looks great so far, watching on Cablevision.

This is the first time they used the rail cam, that I am aware of. I much preferred ESPN use of Skycam for hockey, it was a better angle over the ice and did not get in the way of of the main game cam.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames /forum/post/0

Does anyone know if Versus has always used those cameras that glide along the top of the glass? Are they HD cameras? The PQ looks great so far, watching on Cablevision.

That railcam sure looks distracting. CBC has access to it during the broadcast but has only switched to it sparingly. Doesn't seem to add a lot to the coverage. It's being remotely controlled. The fast action (on the ice) and slow reaction (by the operator) makes this gadget somewhat of a bust -- to me anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic /forum/post/0

35 minutes in and no replies...

Is hockey in that bad shape?

I'll reply, this is the worst coverage I have ever seen for a hockey game, I guess I should say I have never seen a rail cam game before. The rail cam and the rail itself is in the way on the main camera shot and the constant cutaways while players are skating up the ice makes it impossible to follow the game, so I will not watch any more of this. NHL, Versus, Mr. John Shannon Broadcasting Director, I am a long time NHL viewer on TV and 10 year NHL Center Ice subscriber and if this is the future of the NHL on TV, count me out! Stick to the main camera please and maybe the one on top of the glass behind the goal for power plays and save the fancy cameras for replays. To have your fancy cameras obstruct the play is ridiculous and inexcusable.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Unfortunately when directors and producers hit these "events shows" and "bigger season end games", the desire to add more cameras, record/playback devices and techno gadgets usually throws them off their "game" and makes for a worse broadcast. Just watch a Super Bowl. They are never covered any better than a regular season game. All the crap just loads them down and gets in the way of a good show.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks Dishnetwork for showing the HD feed, oh wait, you didn't you losers!

I am not watching this, did the people who created the FOX glowing puck decide to make the next worthless idea " the rail cam"???? This thing is the worst thing for hockey on tv EVER!

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern2356 /forum/post/0

Unfortunately when directors and producers hit these "events shows" and "bigger season end games", the desire to add more cameras, record/playback devices and techno gadgets usually throws them off their "game" and makes for a worse broadcast. Just watch a Super Bowl. They are never covered any better than a regular season game. All the crap just loads them down and gets in the way of a good show.

Unfortunately, all of the national broadcasters of the NHL in the past 10-15 years have tried to throw all sorts of high tech gizzmos at the game they forgot how to cover any game, be it a regular season, playoff, or all-star game. They need to mimic what the CBC does, an then maybe more people in the US would be able to follow the game.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/0

This is the first time they used the rail cam, that I am aware of. I much preferred ESPN use of Skycam for hockey, it was a better angle over the ice and did not get in the way of of the main game cam.

They tested it during a televised regular season game at this arena last month and used it last night too. I hope this is the last time they use it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll chime in just to make it seem like there's more people watching...I think every pair of eyes counts these days!

Thumbs down on the rail-cam for me too. Part of what I consider to be a joy of watching hockey in HD is that you get to see more of the ice - more of the play developing. The rail-cam does the exact opposite.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Not a hockey fan, but noting it's showing up here on Time Warner Cable/Cleveland on InHD... even for those of us who don't subscribe to the digital cable level to get the SD version of Versus/Vs./Whatever-It's-Called.

The rail cam is disconcerting.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated /forum/post/0

Not a hockey fan, but noting it's showing up here on Time Warner Cable/Cleveland on InHD... even for those of us who don't subscribe to the digital cable level to get the SD version of Versus/Vs./Whatever-It's-Called.

The rail cam is disconcerting.

Versus and Vs. both are used.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.