AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance, I haven't owned a TV in about 7 or 8 years. Anyway, I'm looking here now at the HD CRTs, notably the 30" Toshiba and Sanyos, and I just wanted to make sure before I put down $400 this week that there's not going to be a model refresh next month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I very much doubt that. In todays world everyone is all the rage for the plasma and the lcd to hang on their wall. If yuo wanna save some bucks poeple buy DLP's. Even thought a CRT will always offer deeper blacks, higher contrast, and overall better picture. Everyone is on the ewww ahhhhh, hang it on the wall. So thats what industry is making. Crt's max out at 40 inches, anything beyond that wouldn't fit in the standard doorway to a house(the tube needs x amount of distance from back to front). The cost to make a large 36-40 is so high that the profit margin shrinks to almost zero. The size of big tubes can exceed 300 pounds(thats 2-3 guys to move it). The sad truth is that Crt's are starting to fade out, even thought they can offer theh better picture. So if you have your eyes on a unit go for it.

·
Registered
977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculanus /forum/post/0

Excuse my ignorance, I haven't owned a TV in about 7 or 8 years. Anyway, I'm looking here now at the HD CRTs, notably the 30" Toshiba and Sanyos, and I just wanted to make sure before I put down $400 this week that there's not going to be a model refresh next month.

Both of these brands are already at the final year making HD CRTs.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't know about Toshiba but stay away from that Sanyo! I had the Sanyo 30746 from Walmart and it was a total turd. The picture quality was beyond atrocious. Just think of a picture as bad as you can and then multiply that by 10. The Toshiba you're thinking of has to be the better choice because I can't see how it could possibly be of worse quality than the Sanyo.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't know about the larger sizes (over 25"), but for the small sizes (5", 13", 20"), they all need to be refreshed by March 1st when the FCC's digital tuner mandate for ALL television sets gets implemented.

I've been holding off buying a 20" SD CRT until a digital one gets released.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.