AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 15058 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered my HL-T5087S this morning with J and R and they assured me its in stock, so with the expedited shipping, it should be here Thursday or Friday.

Its funny that I pulled the trigger on this thanks to the fact that my the bulb in my Samsung HL-P5063W went out last night, and it turns out that its practically back ordered forever! Well, I didn't feel like waiting so I went ahead and visited good old AVSforum and sure enough there was talk that the second gen Samsung LEDS were out.

Thanks for the heads up to whoever mentioned the price at J and R!

PS. The old model will sit until a replacement bulb ever arrives and then its getting sold! No more bulbs!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy /forum/post/0

I understand that the 89 series does indeed have an HDMI 1.3 input. However, is the screen actually capable of displaying 10 bit color (deep color)?

There is mention in the 89 series manual:

xvYCC: Off/On

Setting the xvYCC mode to On increases detail and color space when watching movies from an external device (ie. DVD player)

connected to the HDMI or Component IN jacks. You must set the Picture Mode to Movie to enjoy this feature.

Interpret this as you might like

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy /forum/post/0

I understand that the 89 series does indeed have an HDMI 1.3 input. However, is the screen actually capable of displaying 10 bit color (deep color)?

Two points: the screen displays what ever the light engine projects onto it, and the current 1080p HL-S sets are all 10 bit color displays. Almost all current source material is 8 bit color.

Here is an article about HDMI 1.3 and what it means.

Understanding HDMI Ver 1.3

HDMI 1.3a also supports a format known as Deep Color. You may see this referred to as Extended-gamut YCC (xvYCC). Deep Color is a new color space used in video electronics. It can support 1.8 times as many colors as RGB. RGB, as you may know, creates colors through a mixture of Red, Green, and Blue primary colors. Deep Color defines colors by means of an algorithm that can specify any color in nature.

This improvement in color performance is significant only in specifications.

Current HDTV broadcasts (and the current HDMI standard before 1.3) uses 8-bit color depth.

The new HDMI 1.3a standard with Deep Color capability expands the number of colors viewable on an HDTV from millions to billions, while eliminating color banding and subtle gradations between colors through the use of 10-bit, 12-bit, and 16-bit color depths.

It is vitally important to understand that every movie ever transferred to DVD or any other digital format has been done using 8-bit color depth.

While the new Deep Color format could provide an improvement in picture quality, there currently is no content (no movies, TV shows or archived material) available that can be easily trans-coded into the new system.

With the existing issues of Digital Rights Management (DRM) and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) just beginning to be worked out it is highly unlikely that Hollywood and the entertainment industry will rush to provide software that is a clone of the original movie quality.

The first place Deep Color is likely to be used is in advanced gaming systems, but even that milestone seems beyond the immediate future.

The added emphasis is mine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So I got my shipping information.

I find it EXTREMELY odd that my box is listed as being 446lbs from the delivery company. I think they shipped me a gorilla instead.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have a HLT6189S that should be here tonight.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 /forum/post/0

I have a HLT6189S that should be here tonight.

Woohoo! I look forward to your impressions. I think the most primary concern for me is the level of out of the box color banding the set gets (if any is discernible) on different modes.

Edited for clarity.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden /forum/post/0

Woohoo! I look forward to your impressions. I think the most primary concern for me is the level of out of the box color banding the set gets on different modes.

To be fair, no one knows if there will be banding problems on this set out of the box. The previous LED model did have this issue, but I'd have figured Samsung would have fixed it for these new models.

At any rate, I also look forward to the first user reports

·
Registered
914 Posts
Has anyone found these in stock?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Per htwaits, I believe we don't yet have a true "own".

"While I understand the eagerness to have an owner's thread, this own is premature. "

I do have one bought and paid for. I plan to pick it up and plug it in tomorrow. The race is on... it is in will-call, so maybe I should go pick it up tonight.

·
Longtime Member
327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthiggins /forum/post/0

... it is in will-call, so maybe I should go pick it up tonight.

Yes, you should! I've got about a week before mine'll be in, so I'm dying to hear whether I should go ahead or cancel my order!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, thanks to an opening, i'll be moving into my own place on Saturday. Now it's really down to the wire on deciding which tv I want. Eagerly anticipating your impressions jnelson...

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthiggins /forum/post/0

I plan to pick it up and plug it in tomorrow. The race is on... it is in will-call, so maybe I should go pick it up tonight.

When ever ... don't drop it.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_H /forum/post/0

2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) first page.

Great start.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm on the edge of my seat, I want this tv, and can not wait to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ill admit to being in a death struggle between this tv and sony's 50 inch sxrd the A2020. I admit I like the Sammy better, and I can't refresh this page fast enough. All the guys at the local BB know me by name, and all know I'm just waiting for them to put the sammy next to the sxrd.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
WOW, I guess that I would be the first to actually post that I own a HLT6189S, have it hooked up and watching it as we speak.

Too early for a detailed assessment, but initial impressions are very favorable. Mucho improved over last years LED. Meaning contrast is a lot better.

More to come later...I am sure of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

Great start.

Thanks htwaits... I didn't know what I was getting into when I started this... I just kind of got excited and wanted to post on the owner's thread. Anyhow, if you (or anyone else for that matter) wants something added to the first post, let me know. It's gonna have to be one long post though, because I didn't grab all the other real estate around it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,

Would you be able to tell us more about the picture. I just got my hls 61" delivered today, and the colors are terrific. How are they on your set? I have 30 days with the set, but I'm definitely interested with the new led models. Any chance you would be able to offer a comparison of picture quality between the 2 (or other sets)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbabubba /forum/post/0

Hi,

Would you be able to tell us more about the picture. I just got my hls 61" delivered today, and the colors are terrific. How are they on your set? I have 30 days with the set, but I'm definitely interested with the new led models. Any chance you would be able to offer a comparison of picture quality between the 2 (or other sets)?

Thanks!

Yeah, im real interested to hear about this too. I was going to get the 56" version of your tv hubba, but the problem is the only store I would buy it from is Brandsmart, and unfortunately they are now discontinued and out of stock there.

when I go to purchase online the best (SAFE and TRUSTED) sites for buying TVs have the hls5687w at around 1800 up when you add shipping and tax...and the hls6187w is like 2000 and up.

But why would I do that when Brandsmart tells me the new models they will sell for 1900?

Brandsmart is the best.

21 - 40 of 15058 Posts