AVS Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 15059 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I went to Best Buy and they did not have the HLT5687. When one of the employees checked the system, none of the surrounding Best Buy's had this TV. They didn't even have ANY 56" TV's (might just be that they didn't have any 1080p 56" TV's).

My Sony Style also didn't have any 56" TV's. I just wanted to compare how a 56" would look compared to a 50".

I don't plan on getting one of these until November/December, but I at least want to demo the TV so I can really decide which DLP to get..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Does anyone know of a way to tell how many hours the tv has been in use. I know the Sony has a place to check the bulb hours. I know this tv doesn't have a bulb but I might be getting an open box HL-T6187 and just want to make sure it has only been used for less than a week like I was told.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I apologize if this has been asked already, but there are a ton of pages!

Is there any way to turn off the sound that this TV makes when it turns on and when turned off? You know, the chime? It is so loud!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly1980 /forum/post/11708471

I apologize if this has been asked already, but there are a ton of pages!

Is there any way to turn off the sound that this TV makes when it turns on and when turned off? You know, the chime? It is so loud!

If you go into the setup menu its referred to as melody. You'll have the option to set the volume of the melody or shut it off.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma View Post

How do you close the aperture and put the SB at 175. Do you need to get into the service menu for this?

Has anyone else tried this. Should we all be trying this???

Only the service menu can do this, but theres a problem: your settings won't stick. Therefore, you would have to go into the menu and close the aperture everytime you turn on the set. The only way to do this is to get the factory code to enter and exit the service menu. Unless you hire a professional calibrator, the only way I know how to do that is buying a Harmony remote and getting the code online. You would also have to redo all your user menu settings every time you went into the service menu, making it a big pain. But there it is.

·
Banned
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache /forum/post/11709139

Only the service menu can do this, but theres a problem: your settings won't stick. Therefore, you would have to go into the menu and close the aperture everytime you turn on the set. The only way to do this is to get the factory code to enter and exit the service menu. Unless you hire a professional calibrator, the only way I know how to do that is buying a Harmony remote and getting the code online. You would also have to redo all your user menu settings every time you went into the service menu, making it a big pain. But there it is.

What is the factory code? Can someone lay this out step by step so members can go into the service menu and adjust the setting - have them saved... and never have to go back in again?

Does closing the aperture make a big difference? Is there anything else that is worth adjusting in the service menu?

·
Registered
20 Posts
A software bug is the reason the aperture settings won't stick. There's nothing you can do about it, unless Samsung offers some kind of software upgrade, I suppose. In the service menu, just go down to SP Actuator, then DB aperture, then from open to close. That will cut the light output right in half. Personally, I think it's the only way to watch dark-toned material on this thing, but it's useless if you can't exit the service menu.

·
Registered
855 Posts
As I posted and asked earlier, when I closed the iris and then powered down the set and went back in to check, the iris still showed as closed in the SM. Is that not true?

I hate going back in to the SM as it resets all the settings ie channels, picture settings, and clock.

I'm very happy with the black levels now. I wonder if the deep black of the bezel around the screen is causing the belief that the black levels are not dark enough? The space around Earth in the opening Universal logo is plenty black. Watching Batman Begins, Serenity on HD DVD looks great on my set.

·
Registered
146 Posts
With all this aperature talk... What are the benefits? Basic photography principles suggest it should lengthen the depth of field and improve minor focus issues. Is it only the choice between wide open and half output?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my samsung HL-T6189 last week. After a few days I notice blue rings in the middle while the screen is black or dark. Not sure it was present from day one but I do notice it now. Sorry it the subject has come up in past posts, but since there are 100's of pages here I don't have time.

Could this be a problem with my center speaker being few inches below my tv?

or

Is this a common problem and should I be calling the Service department?

Any help I greatly appreciate

Thanks

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby74 /forum/post/11711219

I just got my samsung HL-T6189 last week. After a few days I notice blue rings in the middle while the screen is black or dark. Not sure it was present from day one but I do notice it now. Sorry it the subject has come up in past posts, but since there are 100's of pages here I don't have time.

or

Thanks

That sounds like the optical block issue, have a service tech inspect your set for repair or exchange it since it is so new.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby74 /forum/post/11711219

or

Thanks

You'll see it referred to as the "halo prism" problem.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
With all this aperature talk... What are the benefits?

Twofold, reduce the light output - as commented by many the set is bright(too bright in my opinion with the iris opened) and improve the black levels.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /forum/post/11711951

Twofold, reduce the light output - as commented by many the set is bright(too bright in my opinion with the iris opened) and improve the black levels.

I wonder if the cut down light levels can improve the halo prism problem...

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d /forum/post/11712027

that would be interesting to know too....especially if Samsung can make a firmware update to make closing the aperture stick when powering off the unit....they would save on sending out parts to replace if closing it actually rids these sets of the halo-prism...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have searched high and low on this forum and I can't find the answer to this simple question (that is probably the problem, or my ignorance is the problem). Anyway, I am looking to purchase an 87S and here is my question:

In the future if I buy an 87S I will buy a combo HD player (Bluray and HD-DVD) that should have HDMI 1.3 output (the current ones do) and I may then purchase a new receiver that is 1.3 compliant. The two connection scenarios are:

Combo DVD (1.3) to TV (1.1-1.2)

and/or

Combo DVD (1.3) to A/V Receiver (1.3) to TV (1.1-1.2)

I know the 87S is HDMI 1.1 or 1.2. I know I would lose some of the extra features that 1.3 would provide and I am fine with that. What I want to know is if the two scenarios I have here would still work. If somone on here has a setup like this and can confirm that it works that would really help me out.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
855 Posts
sds1029 - interesting question. One would think the 1.3 spec would be backwards compatible but I bet that combinations of hardware with mixed HDMI interfaces is going to be problematic.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1029 /forum/post/11712258

Combo DVD (1.3) to TV (1.1-1.2)

and/or

Combo DVD (1.3) to A/V Receiver (1.3) to TV (1.1-1.2)

There is no indication that you would have any problem with your setup due to different versions of HDMI. All HDMI 1.3 does is make possible new features that in most cases are not available in either source material or input devices. There is nothing about HDMI 1.3 that should hamper earlier versions.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamcracker /forum/post/11708061

I understand this. Eventually I will get a more advanced HTS. But I'd like to put that off for at least a few months.

Don't worry, the built-in speakers offer amazingly clear sound at decent volume level. It does an admirable job on programs that are mostly dialogs, such as news and sports casts.

You can certainly get by for a while if you can live with the lack of bass and surround sound capability. FYI, I typically only turned on my HTS when I am watching movies and programs with mostly musical contents - e.g. concerts.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d /forum/post/11712027

can anyone confirm what happends to the halo-prism when this is accomplished?

6381 - 6400 of 15059 Posts