AVS Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 15059 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Hello Friends,

Long time LCD user here thinking of jumping on one of these sets. Can you please confirm that I am reading the info correctly. The 87 does not have PIP/bluetooth/ or HDMI 1.3 correct? I am asking to confirm what I read in the first post in case something was updated that would allow the 87 to have HDMI 1.3. If not, I guess the 89 it is.

Justin

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 /forum/post/12952183

Hello Friends,

Long time LCD user here thinking of jumping on one of these sets. Can you please confirm that I am reading the info correctly. The 87 does not have PIP/bluetooth/ or HDMI 1.3 correct? I am asking to confirm what I read in the first post in case something was updated that would allow the 87 to have HDMI 1.3. If not, I guess the 89 it is.

Justin

PIP/BT/HDMI 1.3 is the 89 series only. Just so you are aware, the PIP is limited to the internal tuner only (i.e. cable input). Kinda defeats the purpose...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by room112 /forum/post/12952409

PIP/BT/HDMI 1.3 is the 89 series only. Just so you are aware, the PIP is limited to the internal tuner only (i.e. cable input). Kinda defeats the purpose...

Thanks for the info! Ya thats ok the first two don't really matter to me, but the HDMI 1.3 does. Thanks again! Can't wait!

Justin

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought the HLT5687. I will have this tv sometime between wednesday and the weekend. I hope that all is well with the set. I've been tracking this technology since the technology first came out with the 5679 series. I was waiting to see what changes there would be for the 2008 models. To my disappointment there is no 56" LED in 2008. Which brought me back too looking at the 2007 models. I was able to get such a good price on the 5687 model and couldn't pass it up. Originally I wanted the 89 series for the HDMI 1.3. Does anyone have any opinions on the 87 series tv and the picture quality.

My question to the forum is do we know 100% that the 87 series tv does not have HDMI 1.3. The reason for the question is because I called Samsung the other day and asked whether the HLT5687 is HDMI 1.3. Beacause the description doesn't state either way. I was put on hold for 3-4 minutes. The person came back on and told me he had to go to the second level of support. He was told that all 2007 models are HDMI 1.3. Does anyone have any information on this. I know from reading this forum that we assume it doesn't because it doesn't state it in the description. Does anyone who has a 87 series and a Bluray/HD DVD hooked up to it have any issues with the picture quality (Deep Color)..

jim

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb7403 /forum/post/12953190

I bought the HLT5687. I will have this tv sometime between wednesday and the weekend. I hope that all is well with the set. I've been tracking this technology since the technology first came out with the 5679 series. I was waiting to see what changes there would be for the 2008 models. To my disappointment there is no 56" LED in 2008. Which brought me back too looking at the 2007 models. I was able to get such a good price on the 5687 model and couldn't pass it up. Originally I wanted the 89 series for the HDMI 1.3. Does anyone have any opinions on the 87 series tv and the picture quality.

My question to the forum is do we know 100% that the 87 series tv does not have HDMI 1.3. The reason for the question is because I called Samsung the other day and asked whether the HLT5687 is HDMI 1.3. Beacause the description doesn't state either way. I was put on hold for 3-4 minutes. The person came back on and told me he had to go to the second level of support. He was told that all 2007 models are HDMI 1.3. Does anyone have any information on this. I know from reading this forum that we assume it doesn't because it doesn't state it in the description. Does anyone who has a 87 series and a Bluray/HD DVD hooked up to it have any issues with the picture quality (Deep Color)..

jim

The xx89s series supports 30 bit (billions) deep color depth via HDMI 1.3a. The xx87s series supports 24 bit color (millions) depth via HDMI 1.2a. The xx87s series lacks the software interface to enable xvYCC like the xx89s series.

What is the new Deep Color capability of HDMI?

"It is extremely important for the consumer to understand that every movie that was ever transferred to a DVD or any other digital format has been transferred using an 8-bit color depth. While the newest Deep Color format may give an improvement in the quality of the picture, there is no content currently available, no archived material, no movies, and no TV shows, that can be trans-coded easily into the deep color system."

What's so different between xvYCC color standard and Deep Color?

"An xvYCC display, along with Deep Color to reduce the posterization, can display the complete range of colors that can be viewed by the human eye. The color specification of HDMI 1.3 is formed from these two technologies."

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12951521

Center screen is ~21.5" from bottom of t.v., correct?

Yep - exactly 21.5" (measured it).

edit: you shouldn't have a problem finding a small-ish (height) stand, there were far more of those on display at the store than the larger type - think mine was 1 of only 3 that were actually at that greater height...another nice plus for me was having that center spkr shelf a couple inches closer up to being on the same plane as the towers. =)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I received my HLT-6187S on Saturday and you can add me to the list of very satisfied customers. I have been tweaking the picture and it is now the best picture I have seen personally on a TV. I have no problems with bowing or halos yet (and hopefully ever!). Just wanted to add to the idea that there not all bad and when things are working right this TV has an absolutely beautiful picture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[QUOTE"It is extremely important for the consumer to understand that every movie that was ever transferred to a DVD or any other digital format has been transferred using an 8-bit color depth. While the newest Deep Color format may give an improvement in the quality of the picture, there is no content currently available, no archived material, no movies, and no TV shows, that can be trans-coded easily into the deep color system."[/quote]

Which essentially tells me that I will probably be 5 TVS down the road before I need 30 million colors. Which means its a "I have more colors than you do issue" between manufacturers, looks good printed on the side of the box and on the stickers.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils /forum/post/12953611

Yep - exactly 21.5" (measured it).

edit: you shouldn't have a problem finding a small-ish (height) stand, there were far more of those on display at the store than the larger type - think mine was 1 of only 3 that were actually at that greater height...another nice plus for me was having that center spkr shelf a couple inches closer up to being on the same plane as the towers. =)

I hear ya. I like to put my center channel on the top of the stand in front of the t.v.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
There are only a couple of pro reviews on the 87/89 sets, but they all mention nearly 100fl in 'movie' mode

Is it fatiguing to anyone at night?

How some people could say this set is dim is beyond my comprehension. 100fl is higher than lcd's, no?

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
"the PIP is limited to the internal tuner only (i.e. cable input). Kinda defeats the purpose..."

I agree. And the acutally PIP functions IF you use the Samaung remote are kinda awkward. On my Harmony its not so bad. There is no way the PIP on the 6189S is even close to how using PIP from my HD Cable box is designed. Samsung coulda saved some money and just left it off. Its practically useless imho.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Eagles,

I am not sure what you are referring to. All the display stuff is adjustable, not fixed. So you can lower those contrast/brightness/gamma/white/etc settings as you see fit.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:

No one knows for sure. Not even Samsung. No one needs HDMI 1.3 anyway as nothing but highly expensive camcorders and highly expensive receivers support HDMI 1.3. Blu-ray/HD-DVD don't send out the colorspace either, so you'll never benefit. Plus the move from 24-bit to 30-bit is indistinguishable to the human eye.

I have had no issues with color on Blu-ray movies on my PS3. I have my color set to "Wide" (native colors) on my calibrated HL-T5687 and it looks as realistic as you could ask for. The 89 series is marketing hype.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12954930

There are only a couple of pro reviews on the 87/89 sets, but they all mention nearly 100fl in 'movie' mode

Is it fatiguing to anyone at night?

How some people could say this set is dim is beyond my comprehension. 100fl is higher than lcd's, no?
Movie mode was my least favorite 'pre-set', it was dull, too dim\\bland, much preferred Standard, then Dynamic (both with some suggested tweaks/settings found here - wide color, etc), they both POP, actually had to back off the settings to remove some of the starkness. I'll also be adding a 6500k backlight as well, makes a nice difference for me in a totally unlit room, saves my eyes!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite /forum/post/12955430

No one knows for sure. Not even Samsung. No one needs HDMI 1.3 anyway as nothing but highly expensive camcorders and highly expensive receivers support HDMI 1.3. Blu-ray/HD-DVD don't send out the colorspace either, so you'll never benefit. Plus the move from 24-bit to 30-bit is indistinguishable to the human eye.

I have had no issues with color on Blu-ray movies on my PS3. I have my color set to "Wide" (native colors) on my calibrated HL-T5687 and it looks as realistic as you could ask for. The 89 series is marketing hype.

Per the original data sheets for either series, only the xx89s offered HDMI 1.3a with CEC. Thats not the first time a Samsung Help desk staff member had his facts wrong. ;-)

Toggling on/off the wider color gamut xvYCC on my HL-T6189s is quite perceptible when viewing content. (1.8 times as many colors as the sRGB color space)

You can still see a very slight difference going from 24 bit color to 30 bit color but the human eye can not perceive any difference higher then 30 bit color.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Quote:

jim

Similar call from me last night and they came back with 1.2, to confirm what everyone is saying here.

Justin

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12954703

I hear ya. I like to put my center channel on the top of the stand in front of the t.v.

What is the distance from the bottom of the TV up to the bottom of the screen??

I'm wondering if I can squeeze my center channel their without blocking the screen at all...

Cheers!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker /forum/post/12959582

What is the distance from the bottom of the TV up to the bottom of the screen??

I'm wondering if I can squeeze my center channel their without blocking the screen at all...

Cheers!

The problem you will find with placing your center channel in front of the TV is that it will probably obstruct the IR receiver that Samsung thoughtfully (being very sarcastic) put in the center of the round on/off button in the center of the set.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbit /forum/post/12959757

The problem you will find with placing your center channel in front of the TV is that it will probably obstruct the IR receiver that Samsung thoughtfully (being very sarcastic) put in the center of the round on/off button in the center of the set.

Nice

Can someone please measure anyways - I may live with manually turning it on/off.. maybe.

9981 - 10000 of 15059 Posts