AVS Forum banner

10041 - 10060 of 15059 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent /forum/post/12968453

I have Comcast HD and here they do not recompress any of the HD channels, so you get pictures as good as the source is, unlike Dish or DirecTV. About 30 HD channels, looks great. I switched from DirecTV about 2 years ago when the cable was extended to my house (farm), did not like the low resolution of HD-Lite from DirecTV. The HD video on demand is also very good, about 40 movies on PPV and about 10 free with another 30 or so available from the premium providers like Starz, HBO,Showtime if you subscribe to them. Also numerous network shows and music in HD from VOD.

If the flickering is on sharp detail I think some of it is the SSE stuff, make sure you do not have edge enhancement turned on or sharpness above 0 as this will make the effect more noticable. I noticed some on mine but after about 6 months of use, I don't notice it much at all anymore.

Mike T

The SSE is annoying for sure. I stopped in Best Buy yesterday just to let them know what was going on with the TV and what their thoughts were about DirecTV saying that the picture on pretty much any TV that's not Magnolia-quality won't be crisp. I had to point out to the Best Buy guy the SSE in the store on the Samsung TVs...he'd never noticed that before. Made me kind of nervous that was the guy telling people about which TVs are the best because it was very obvious, haha. Thank you also for your Comcast feedback, that was helpful.

Are these TVs pretty consistant with the SSE and flickering problems? It's weird that it only happens in certain scenes and camera angles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Avio!

Can we see from users here what the latest firmware is on these TVs?

I've heard of the 1026 versions and 1008 and 1009 versions on different sets; i.e. SAX, SX, AX, etc.

Can we get a showing of your model xx87 or xx89 with the suffix; SAX, or AX, or whatever you have with your current firmware. This way we can establish what versions are most current for each model.

Mine is a 6187SAX with 1008

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quick question. I found an opened box hlt5687s at a local store for $1399. Being that there is no bulb to replace, does this seem like a decent deal and is there anything I should look for before buying? I had a hls5087 and sold it and have missed it ever since. They also have a Sony 60a3000 for 100 more, but Im not thrilled with the 50e3000 I currently have (thus I found the 56). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Using the set mostly for HD sports through cable box and xbox 360 and ps3 through HDMI. I was leaning to the Samsung because I cant stand overscan so the "just scan" option seems great.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs600cubed /forum/post/12970499

Quick question. I found an opened box hlt5687s at a local store for $1399. Being that there is no bulb to replace, does this seem like a decent deal and is there anything I should look for before buying? I had a hls5087 and sold it and have missed it ever since. They also have a Sony 60a3000 for 100 more, but Im not thrilled with the 50e3000 I currently have (thus I found the 56). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Using the set mostly for HD sports through cable box and xbox 360 and ps3 through HDMI. I was leaning to the Samsung because I cant stand overscan so the "just scan" option seems great.

Sounds like a good deal, but have them turn it on in-store.

Even better, grab a thumb drive and put the test images on it and test it in-store. If the PQ checks out (geometry ok, no Halo, etc) grab it!

Listen for buzzing (not humming) on the back, as well. That indicates a problem (which can be fixed).

·
Registered
669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent /forum/post/12968453

I switched from DirecTV about 2 years ago when the cable was extended to my house (farm), did not like the low resolution of HD-Lite from DirecTV.

And that is the key: two years ago DirecTV had very few HD channels in the first place--about 9. so your allusion to their quality is rather misleading. Now they've got 90, and while many are dependent on the source transmission, many are of outstanding PQ, especially the MPEG-4 HD transmissions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have Directv as well and I agree the old HD channels look bad, but the newer ones look like your watching out of a window. Word is that the Directv is going to change the old MPEG 2 or HD Lite channels to MPEG 4 soon. I have HLT5087SAX model.

·
Registered
148 Posts
just another quick update on my 'horizontal line/smudge', tech was here yet again to exchange the lens assembly with one from samsung and of course it didn't fix the issue. Already 3 different techs looked at my tv and all said the light engine needs to be replaced, but samsung canada is dragging its feet. I am really disappointed by things right now, if the techs as you for something, you should give it to them instead of continuing to send them out to swap parts that don't fix the issue, grrr...... I also emailed samsung canada through their website directly and of course nobody replied to me.

This is getting quite frustrating! I am tempted to ask for a tv replacement at this point but given how much they are resisting changing the light engine I don't think it'd be approved anyways.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd#1 /forum/post/12970888

I have Directv as well and I agree the old HD channels look bad, but the newer ones look like your watching out of a window. Word is that the Directv is going to change the old MPEG 2 or HD Lite channels to MPEG 4 soon. I have HLT5087SAX model.

Well after reading that and knowing that what I was seeinig on HD looked basically like SD I'm a little nervous having cancelled for Comcast. I plan to switching back to U-Verse once that is released in Atlanta.

I was talking to the Best Buy guys today and they were trying to talk me into a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV for $500 more. I'd really like it if my 5687 actually worked...looks like 30-day return/exchange for me. Also, the Best Buy guy said that Samsungs have quite a few returns on them for things breaking. Anyone think I should switch to the Panasonic...or just swap this set out for the same model and hope I get a "good one" finally?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 /forum/post/12966513

Justin,

I have a 6187s and sit about 8 feet away. Its perfect. I love it at that distance.

Thanks man! I was about to pull the trigger on that anyway since I didn't see any replies.

Justin

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent /forum/post/12967680

The charts are correct for seeing all the detail, and the THX suggested distance is similar. I set about 8 feet from my 6187 and it looks amazing. I use HD-DVD player, D-VHS, Comcast cable HD, big dish satellite HD and HTPC with 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080 video files, all look great at 8 feet from my 6187 DLP.

Mike T

Thanks mate. Just wanted to make sure! I appreciate the input.

Justin

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 /forum/post/12965266

Justin...

56 or 61?

At those sizes it seems to me if you have room for the 61 I'd advise you to get it. In terms of your viewing distance 5 inches is not going to matter that much. In other words if 56 isn't too big, 61 isn't going to be either. I am at about same distances and had a 57 inch MIT. Went to the 61 inch Samsung. While I would not want it to be any bigger than 61 inches, the TV is fine and not too big. PQ is amazing.

Thanks a lot! Just what I was looking for.

61 it is with three positive reports

Justin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I joined the Class acting lawsuit on the Toshiba DLP lamp problem. I notified the lawyers that the main board burned out at 2&1/2 years. They're going to do a story on it.

Anyway, i got my new Samsung DLP with the LED bulb. Low and behold, there is a blue halo on the screen. It has taken 3 months but the factory finally found a service center, after 2 attempts at getting someone out to figure this out. The third company is the one that used to work on my Toshiba!

Anyway, there is a recall on the set (61", 1080p). Seems that they used a shiny, chrome bracket for the bulb. It sprays blue light all over the bottom half of the screen. Well, they picked up the set this morning to install the new bracket. Other than that.....

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonry10 /forum/post/12972247

I joined the Class acting lawsuit on the Toshiba DLP lamp problem. I notified the lawyers that the main board burned out at 2&1/2 years. They're going to do a story on it.

Anyway, i got my new Samsung DLP with the LED bulb. Low and behold, there is a blue halo on the screen. It has taken 3 months but the factory finally found a service center, after 2 attempts at getting someone out to figure this out. The third company is the one that used to work on my Toshiba!

Anyway, there is a recall on the set (61", 1080p). Seems that they used a shiny, chrome bracket for the bulb. It sprays blue light all over the bottom half of the screen. Well, they picked up the set this morning to install the new bracket. Other than that.....

They have a tech note on what to do if your display has a halo, but there is no recall in effect.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUswimKT /forum/post/12967454

*Bump*

Also, even with Blue-Ray now I'm noticing some flickering on the darker scenes and with certain camera angles...I'm assuming this is the TV. Can I fix this myself or should I do a return/exchange for a new one?

Really wish the delivery guys were more competent so I didn't have to drag this one back in... After seeing them ramp over speed bumps and swap out my TV for a smaller broken one at first thinking I wouldn't catch them, there's no way in he** I'm trusting them.

I am having the same issues with flickering on blu-rays. See this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12933719 . I have tried switching cables and every setting adjustment possible with no resolve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had a Samsung Tech over to fix the buzzing from the rear left of the TV.

NO LUCK.

He replaced the power supply board and the LED Light Engine(The very part quoted in this post). He first changed just the power supply board, no change or difference in the buzz.

Then he swapped out the "LED Driver" (part #13P96-01803A) and still no fix. I still have the same buzzing sound.

The tech did not know what else to do. So at this point I still have a buzz.

If anyone has any luck with getting this buzzing fixed. Please update.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozer /forum/post/12973479

NO LUCK.

He replaced the power supply board and the LED Light Engine(The very part quoted in this post). He first changed just the power supply board, no change or difference in the buzz.

Then he swapped out the "LED Driver" (part #13P96-01803A) and still no fix. I still have the same buzzing sound.

I have had 3 different TV's and they all had the buzz. I hope it can be fixed, but it seems like it might be pretty hard to fix if all 3 of mine made the same buzzing noise.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozer /forum/post/12973479

NO LUCK.

same issue here, they changed the power supply but it made no difference. I'm afraid to have the light engine changed because the one I have is perfect and the buzzing is deffinantly coming from the power supply so it would be pointless.

At this point I think samsung just needs to revise their power supply design or use higher quality parts maybe. It's not something I can hear from the front of the tv even with the volume muted so it doesn't interrupt my enjoyment of the set but I am just afraid it is a failing cap or coil that will crap out on me right after my warranty expires.

Since the repair guy seemed confident it was nothing to worry about I will take my chances.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have any of you guys looked at the power coming into your set? Volts, hertz?

·
Registered
485 Posts
So I've had this set for a week or so and I was going to comment on some popping I was hearing. When I first heard it I assumed it was the case expanding. But when I would listen closely to it, it didn't sound normal. It really sounded like an electrical arc, or relay switching, and it seemed to be coming from the front left of the TV. I was starting to get concerned, I really didn't want anything to be wrong with the set, as everything else seems to be great.

So last night I went to see if I could pinpoint the location of where the sound was coming from. I touched the bottom of the frame, and pop there it is. I could run my fingers across the bottom and the popping would move along with me. My theory is that because the case is made of such a light plastic, it makes a higher pitched sound than I was expecting. My old CRT would expand the plastic but it was a much deeper sound.

Now it may be an issue with the adhesive in that part of the frame, but at least its not some electrical component failing. As long as it doesn't affect the picture I can deal with it popping every now and again.

On a side note, I had my laptop connected to it last night over VGA, and everything looked perfect.

I really like this TV more and more each day. I might need to take a sick day so I can spend some quality time without the wife nagging about the house shaking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been lurking on this thread for months, reading as much info as I could before making a purchasing decision. Last night, I finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered a HLT5087SAX from big river. I got a fantastic deal (TV was listed in my "gold box" which takes an additional 5% off their already low price), free shipping, free upconverting philips DVD player and 18 months of interest free payments. I've assisted several family members in purchasing Samsung DLP sets over the past few years and ALL have been extremely happy with their sets. Now I'm happy to say its my turn to experience that!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread! The information contained here is miles beyond anything else I've come across and has assured me I made the right decision. looking forwards to being an official owner of what is arguably the best set for the money today.

10041 - 10060 of 15059 Posts