AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I got the Phillips lamp from shop Jimmy a year ago and it still worki,g great. It was only $99.99 Mitsubishi has raised there lamp prices. Phillips Lamps are the OEM for Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I got the Phillips lamp from shop Jimmy a year ago and it still worki,g great. It was only $99.99 Mitsubishi has raised there lamp prices. Phillips Lamps are the OEM for Mitsubishi.

Phillips? Really?

All my lamps from Mitsubishi have been Osram: 1120140842.jpg (click to enlarge)

But hey, if it's been working for a year, who am I to judge?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
When I did my first Lamp it said Phillips. Right on the bulb. They probably use the lowest bidder.
That is my point. It is not the brand, so much as the design and construction of the lamp that is key. "A lamp is a lamp, is a lamp" does not apply here. Like I stated before, I have read where people are happy with lamps from Shopjimmy. I have also read many horror stories. I personally would only go through Mitsubishi. To me, the lamps are still reasonable at $142, and I enjoy the piece of mind.

Oh, and there is this, from the Owner's Manual:

Lamp-Substitution Alert
MEVSA recommends that you use only genuine Replacement Lamp Assemblies purchased directly from Mitsubishi or a
Mitsubishi Authorized Dealer or Mitsubishi Authorized Service Center. MEVSA advises that replacement lamps obtained
separately from the Lamp Cartridge and/or Lamp Assemblies obtained from unauthorized sellers may be incorrect for
your television, may not fit or perform properly and may even damage your television. MEVSA can not be responsible
for the performance, reliability or safety of any replacement lamps that are obtained from unauthorized sources.
YMMV

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, my set has been repaired for 2 weeks, and all of my friends and family who have seen it are absolutely floored with how great it looks. The antenna problem fixed itself after unplugging the set for a while. Now I just need to clean the screen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just called Mits on my 73736 (May 2008 mfg date) and it's low level of white dots (stuck pixels) and the more noticeable graininess that has developed.

My experience with their CSR was less than stellar. Nearly impossible to understand her. She couldn't grasp what grain in the image meant. The only thing she would offer "since my set is so far out of warranty" was the DMD chip for free but still charge the $200 labor (plus mileage) fee. No room at all with this one. I politely declined the offer as she had no clue if it would affect the graininess I'm currently seeing.

Link to post I made in the **737 thread

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just called Mits on my 73736 (May 2008 mfg date) and it's low level of white dots (stuck pixels) and the more noticeable graininess that has developed.

My experience with their CSR was less than stellar. Nearly impossible to understand her. She couldn't grasp what grain in the image meant. The only thing she would offer "since my set is so far out of warranty" was the DMD chip for free but still charge the $200 labor (plus mileage) fee. No room at all with this one. I politely declined the offer as she had no clue if it would affect the graininess I'm currently seeing.

Link to post I made in the **737 thread
keep pushing. don't settle for anything less than full coverage of parts and labor. (still pay the trip fee for the service guys, they don't work for mitsu)

·
Registered
63 Posts
keep pushing. don't settle for anything less than full coverage of parts and labor. (still pay the trip fee for the service guys, they don't work for mitsu)
WOOHOO! Got them to agree to pay for the labor and parts! thanks for the encouragement. Took about 15 minutes and many suggestions as to what it would take to satisfy me. Came back with the bulb offer counter first then finally gave in to the full parts and labor for the repair.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Hack, hack, cough, cough, I'm bring back an old, nearly dead, thread again....

My beloved 73835 may have just started her final journey. I noticed a stuck pixel last night and, as someone who suffers from 'shiny', it was all that I pretty much saw all night.

Anyone have a clue about how to get this dead pixel back again? Or is it really finally time to move away from DLP and into the world of LCD/LED TVs?

Seggers

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you do a search on defective Mitsubishi DLP chip you will find useful information and a number to call. Chances are your model will be cover by the replacement chip. The catch is Mitsubishi will charge you $200 for the a service center closer to you to install the chip. You can buy the chip online for about $170 or so and install it yourself if you are handy.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Not sure about doing it myself. And, as I am planning on selling the TV on, having it done professionally could be the best option.

Haven't made the call yet, but is it even worth it? Is there enough residual value left in these to make spending out 200 or so worth doing?

That 90 sure got a whole lot more attractive...

Seggers

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
Not sure about doing it myself. And, as I am planning on selling the TV on, having it done professionally could be the best option.

Haven't made the call yet, but is it even worth it? Is there enough residual value left in these to make spending out 200 or so worth doing?

Seggers
The resale value on these sets is usually pretty low. Even if you have the original box, shipping them isn't even remotely cost effective, so you're limited to local sales and don't expect to get much (as in a few hundred or so). IMHO, spending $200 to repair it with plans of selling it right away probably doesn't make sense. You'd be better off selling it as-is with the stuck pixel and get what you can. If you were planning to keep it for a while, then spending the money to get it fixed would make sense as there's no way you could replace it with something comparable for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts

Seggers
PM sent

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Follow up.

I finally got round to calling them today. All they offered me was the chip, I had to pay to have it installed. When I told them about others getting the installation as well and that the chip is known to be defective, she told me, basically, to go pound sand (nicely of course).

So I am waiting to speak to a supervisor about this. I think I might have blown this.

Now the question becomes, do I buy the chip and do it myself, or take the offer and pay for the install... Any helpful, constructive, thoughts out there?

Seggers

3041 - 3060 of 3092 Posts