AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3092 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What does the new firmware do?
I am having the white dots issue on my WD-73736. Figured it couldn't hurt to get a new firmware on there. However, I just called Mits about this. They told me to "pound sand" too HAHA. They said that they couldn't send me a firmware and that end users wouldn't update the firmware on their own. I know the firmware update has nothing to do with the white dots, but figured it was worth a try. The lady was nice but very, very firm. She wouldn't even let me talk to a supervisor and told me it would be a waste of time. I even said how expensive these TVs were and how it has a new lamp but still has the white dots. I was reluctant to buy more parts for it after having bought a new lamp. Regardless, she said that it was so far out of warranty that they wouldn't be able to help me in any way at all. She said I could mail them a receipt of the purchase and they would forward that to be reviewed along with the case. Sounds like alot of hoops to jump through without a certain outcome. Meanwhile the TV is annoying to use in it's current state. I am pretty technical and can easily replace the chip on my own. Sounds like ShopJimmy will be getting my money!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I replaced my chip about 3 months ago on this set. On my 73733 I replaced the chip about a year ago. Well worth the investment as you could never get a comparable television today for what the DMD costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just replaced my chip! It came a day early from Shop Jimmy! It was pretty easy as I've replaced CPUs many times before in computers. One thing I wanted to ask was this: now it looks like there's a bit of white bleeding through on the black background screens. Anyone else have this problem? I didn't notice it before since the white dots were likely distracting me. I don't notice this at all during video playback but it's apparent on screens with a black background and no motion. My wife tells me I'm too picky. The screen is way better now without the white dots and actually the picture is much more crisp too!

Next I'm investigating getting an IR emitter and some 3d glasses! Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I just replaced my chip! It came a day early from Shop Jimmy! It was pretty easy as I've replaced CPUs many times before in computers. One thing I wanted to ask was this: now it looks like there's a bit of white bleeding through on the black background screens. Anyone else have this problem? I didn't notice it before since the white dots were likely distracting me. I don't notice this at all during video playback but it's apparent on screens with a black background and no motion. My wife tells me I'm too picky. The screen is way better now without the white dots and actually the picture is much more crisp too!

Next I'm investigating getting an IR emitter and some 3d glasses! Any recommendations?

Dirty optics. Can be anything from dust on the mirror or front of the lens to something on the DMD chip itself.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
now it looks like there's a bit of white bleeding through on the black background screens.
Can you take a pic? Will it show? The screen will never be pitch black.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Well, that was a bust... The Sharp turned into a nightmare. And then today I pulled the trigger on a Vizio M80-C3 from New Egg.

Soon be time to move on the Mitts...

Seggers

·
Registered
601 Posts

the bleeding is many times caused by you accidentally getting dust on the chip. pull the chip and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth, then reinstall.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Well, if anyone wants to buy one of these, mine's over in the classified section...

Seggers

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had bought a second hand 65735 unit and it’s been fine until just recently the set has developed pretty bad grain that is static on the image, and on any test screens and on all sources.

It is not the black and white dot issue, but I’m curious if anyone has experience with this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had bought a second hand 65735 unit and it’s been fine until just recently the set has developed pretty bad grain that is static on the image, and on any test screens and on all sources.

It is not the black and white dot issue, but I’m curious if anyone has experience with this.

You mean like wavy lines?? I'm not sure what you mean.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You mean like wavy lines?? I'm not sure what you mean.
No, its like film grain, but really bad. Even on the letterbox portion of the screen during a 2.35.1 presentation and on the start up screen.

It's really impossible to get a good picture of the problem, but it looks like heavy, heavy grain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, its like film grain, but really bad. Even on the letterbox portion of the screen during a 2.35.1 presentation and on the start up screen.

It's really impossible to get a good picture of the problem, but it looks like heavy, heavy grain.
Sorry, I have no experience with that issue.

3081 - 3092 of 3092 Posts