AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 NHL All Star Game

Live in the US on Versus

Live in Canada on the CBC

From Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA

6pm ET

Quote:
East battles West in 56th edition of NHL All-Star Game

(Sports Network) - The NHL's brightest stars will come out tonight in Dixie, as the Eastern Conference takes on the West in the 56th annual All-Star Game at Philips Arena in Atlanta.

The mid-season showcase is in Atlanta for the first-time ever, but this marks the third time in the last eight All-Star Games that the contest will be hosted by a Southeast Division team. The game was held in Tampa Bay in 1999 and Florida was the host in 2002.

This will also be the first time the NHL has staged All-Star Games in consecutive years since the 2003 and 2004 editions. In 2005 All-Star festivities were wiped out due to the lockout and the 2006 Winter Olympics caused the contest to be put on hold two years ago.

The 2008 contest is the fourth since the league went back to the traditional East-West format. Prior to this stretch, the league used the North America vs. the World theme for five years.

The Western Conference has won two of three All-Star Games since the league went to the old format and last year the West notched a 12-9 victory at American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2008 Western Conference Roster

Forwards:

Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Jarome Iginla, Jason Arnott, Marian Gaborik, Ryan Getzlaf, Shawn Horcoff, Anze Kopitar, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Mike Ribeiro, Henrik Sedin, Paul Stastny, Joe Thornton.

Defensemen:

Nicklas Lidstrom, Dion Phaneuf, Ed Jovanovski, Duncan Keith, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Sergei Zubov.

Goaltenders:

Manny Legace, Evgeni Nabokov, Chris Osgood

Captain: Jarome Iginla

Coach: Mike Babcock

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008 Eastern Conference Roster

Forwards:

Vincent Lecavalier, Daniel Alfredsson, Scott Gomez, Marc Savard, Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin, Mike Richards, Jason Spezza, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov, Zdeno Chara, Brian Campbell, Sergei Gonchar, Tomas Kaberle, Kimmo Timonen

Goaltenders:

Rick DiPietro, Tim Thomas, Tomas Vokoun

Captain: Vincent Lecavalier

Coach: John Paddock

·
Registered
378 Posts
Rock band The Hives will open the game with a performance of their hit single, Tick Tick Boom. The Atlanta Boy Choir will perform the U.S. national anthem and singer/songwriter Kathleen Edwards will perform the Canadian national anthem. R&B singer/songwriter and five-time Grammy nominee Ne-Yo will perform his hit single Because of You with Halftime Live, a 75-piece marching band, during the second intermission.

In addition to tonight's performers, the celebrities in attendance include actors David Boreanaz ("Bones"), Taylor Kitsch ("Friday Night Lights"), Matthew Modine ("Weeds") and Thorsten Kate ("All My Children"); actress Alyssa Milano ("Charmed"), rock band Mastodon, country superstar Garth Brooks and Atlanta Braves pitcher Tom Glavine.

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin also will be in attendance as the special guest of NHL legend Willie O'Ree. The first intermission will feature a special tribute to Willie O'Ree and the 50th anniversary of his NHL debut.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Versus will use a HiMotion super-slow-mo replay camera that uses a system that gives them the ability to shoot 300 frames per second.

Also, all the goalies will be mic'd. Make that two of the goalies, Tim Thomas from the Bruins and another goalie from the West.

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
This game is horrible, bring back the North Americans against the Europeans. At least they played with a little passion. This looks like a Mickey Mouse league!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was the game on VS HD? Doesn't matter because no one has it. I wish the NHL would wake up and realize what HD can do for their terrible TV ratings.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTN /forum/post/12951314

Was the game on VS HD?

If it's being discussed here, it's HD.

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
Wow, So much for the interest in hockey growing! For an All-star game there are only 7 posts and 4 of them are by Ken, Yikes!

BTW I thought the PQ was excellent, one of the best I have seen from VS, too bad I can't say the same about the game.

Watched via Comcast-Boston

·
Registered
55" Samsung Q80T and Vizio Elevate soundbar
1,147 Posts

Quote:

Was the game on VS HD? Doesn't matter because no one has it. I wish the NHL would wake up and realize what HD can do for their terrible TV ratings.

I watched a bit of the game, on VersusHD with DirecTV... plenty of people 'have it'

I stopped watching when I saw that it was 5-1 East...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was able to catch the last nine minutes of the game on the internet. Very exciting (it was 7-7). Loved the mic'd goalies, Manny Legace was fun last night and tonight. I was hoping for a shootout but the East scored

·
Registered
770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr /forum/post/12949653

Versus will use a HiMotion super-slow-mo replay camera that uses a system that gives them the ability to shoot 300 frames per second.

What's the typical frame rate of super-slo-mo cameras?

·
Registered
893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef /forum/post/12952017

Wow, So much for the interest in hockey growing! For an All-star game there are only 7 posts and 4 of them are by Ken, Yikes!

BTW I thought the PQ was excellent, one of the best I have seen from VS, too bad I can't say the same about the game.

Watched via Comcast-Boston

Lol...Yeah, I was thinking the same when I saw 12 Whole Posts.Well now it will be 13 ... woo hoo!

If you ask Gary Bettman, the state of Hockey is just fine. I used to tape every Year back in the Gretzky days...I think I managed to watch 10 minutes of this, and in general, Hockey has lost allot of ground to the NFL on my radar screen, and it only seemed to serve as a harsh reminder that we dont get but one more NFL Game this Year, and Sundays afterwhich will be just a tad bit boring.

Oh wait..NHL on NBC! Hmm ,I will try and contain my excitement.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead /forum/post/12953308

in general, Hockey has lost allot of ground to the NFL on my radar screen, and it only seemed to serve as a harsh reminder that we dont get but one more NFL Game this Year, and Sundays afterwhich will be just a tad bit boring.

The NHL never could or will compete with the NFL. The problem, IMHO, is that they lost a lot of ground to the NBA.

The NHL's goal should be to be the #3 sport in the US, because although part of the major four, sometimes these days you hear people talk about the big three (NFL, MLB, and NBA). In some parts of this great country, you hear a new big four: NFL, MLB, NBA and Nascar. NHL is nowhere to be found, and that's sad.

When and if the NHL can rival surpass the NBA in terms of popularity here nationwide (and it could if we get African-American stars in the game.), the NHL will be where they need to be.

P.S. Born and raised in CA but hockey is my favorite sports (love all sports though), but hockey all-star games suck. Just like the NFL. The problem in both is that physicality is a part of the game, but it's gone in the all-star game.

At least in the MLB All-Star game you have the pitcher-batter confrontration, and pitchers want to get the star batters out, and the star batters want to hit bombs off the star pitchers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The NHL will never be as popular as NBA or NFL. Nascar is over, the chase ruined that! Generally speaking, hockey players speak well and tend not to be gangsters (hard to relate for most youths these days), plus they aren't sissies! A hockey player loses three teeth, misses one shift. A baskeball player stubs his toe, he's on the IR for 6 weeks.

As far as the NFL, who can complete with the Never ending commercials Football League

Kickoff

Commercial

3 Plays

Commercial

TD or FG

Commercial

Kickoff

Commercial

That took 15 minutes to see 50 seconds of action. Boring!! But I guess that's what they made DVR's for. I know the I'm the minority, but I take NHL over NFL, NBA and Nascar everyday!!! And I love it!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I am a big hockey fan, but I thought the camera work and direction were terrible.

First, in the skills competition they had a cameraman skating behind the shooters following them in for the one-on-one competition. It sounds great, but in practice you really had no idea where the player was really doing where the shot went and most importantly if it went in. On the replays you could clearly see everything you missed with the hand-held cam. It was terrible.

Then during the game, they kept putting a picture of the people who were being interviewed in the lower right corner. If it only took up a small amount of the screen it might be fine. Instead it took up about 1/8th of the screen, and any time the play went into that area, you lost the players and the puck.

I have said this in previous posts. There are lots of cool things that can now be done in broadcasting sports. Just because you can do things doesn't mean you should do things. I wish directors would learn this. A camera up high in the center of the playing surface is by far the best view. Use all the other gimmicks for the replays to explain or enhance the view of a special play.

There is one other thing I would add. When the ridiculous graphics announcing other upcoming shows are shown along the bottom of the screen (which if the NHL had any balls, they would outlaw), why not tell the cameraman? Then he would know to position the camera so the play was not in that area. If the cameraman points the camera more downward, the play will be above that area of graphics. If you're going to ruin the picture anyway, at least let us see the game!

Sorry, enough of a rant.

SMK

·
Registered
208 Posts
I personally think they really should show the game on network television rather than a channel that doesn't reach very many homes. I mean this is a great chance for the NHL to showcase their current best and brightest, and with the NFL off for the weekend people would've been looking for something to watch!

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:

Bullcrap. There is a whole litany of major cable and satellite providers that carry the channel. I'm sorry yours isn't one of them, but to say "no one has it" is patently false. Instead of spreading false information, you should either hound your television provider or switch to a new one.

Hmph!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Great game and great coverage, just wish for 5.1.

I really like having the goalies mic'd and doing some of the play-by-play. Legace and DiPetro are very funny

1 - 20 of 25 Posts