AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 NHL SuperSkills in HDTV

Live in the US on Versus

Live in Canada on the CBC

From Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA

7pm ET

Goalies who love to shoot the puck will get their chance four times over. Players who rip slap shots from the point will finally find out how fast they fly. The stars that thrive in the shootout will get to debut some fancy, don’t-try-this-at-home moves.

There are seven events in the NHL SuperSkills competition this season. Each event is worth at least two goals toward the team’s final score. Each All-Star must compete in at least one event, so fans of one particular player will not be shortchanged.

The conference that finishes the competition with the most goals will be declared the winner. In the event of a tie at the end of the competition, each team captain -- Jarome Iginla of the Western Conference and Vincent Lecavalier of the Eastern Conference -- will pick a goalie and alternating players to compete in a sudden-death shootout.

Events will be staged as follows:

Obstacle Course Relay

Fastest Skater

Elimination Shootout

YoungStars Game

Accuracy Shooting

Hardest Shot

Breakaway Challenge

Competition Rules and Regulations

Decision Process

The referee shall make all necessary rulings regarding the skills competition events.

Participants

Players must compete in at least one event.

Tie Situation

If there is a tie between teams after all events, each captain picks a goalie and alternating player(s) to participate in a sudden death shootout.

Scoring

Each event is worth two (2) goals towards the final score.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wish I could watch, but I'm on call in the hospital and no VS on their system.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's up in 1080i & DD2.0 on Versus.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Watched the whole thing on Cablevision. PQ was good but not great. Arena was dark especially behind the goals. Young stars game was a trip at 3 on 3. Why couldn't they find young goalies though?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/12943247

Why couldn't they find young goalies though?

I was a little surprised that no goalies were named to the youngstars game.

I guess the problem is that they don't want backups being featured in a game like this.

In fact, I couldn't come up with many goalies for the young stars.

Maybe Carey Price in Montreal vs. Jonas Hiller in Anaheim?

I was pumped for the "Breakaway Challenge," but it was mostly disappointing. The best goal they showed was that goal scored by a nine year old kid. I watched that thing several times, one of the best shootout goals I've ever seen, period.

·
Registered
524 Posts
watched the Versus feed online. had a hard time getting past the numerous commentator/graphic errors early. the graphics would say one thing, the commentator would go with those, but what the camera was showing was different. plus that little dropdown ad that covered some of the player's head at one point was annoying (don't remember what contest it was, but the sponsor dropped below the already huge scoreboard)

loved the Young Stars game, that's some fun hockey right there! what were the details on the awesome kid shootout goal? I wanted to find it on youtube...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts