AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the web site:

The 46th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona, the most prestigious sports car race in North America, will go green on Saturday, 1:30 p.m. at historic Daytona International Speedway.

A pair of Michael Shank Racing Ford Riley’s will lead the field to the green flag for the twice-around-the-clock challenge.

Brazilian Oswaldo Negri led a 1-2 Michael Shank Racing sweep of the front row during Thursday’s Rolex 24 qualifying session.

Negri put the No. 60 Michael Shank Racing Ford Riley on the pole for with a fast lap of one minute, 40.793 seconds, 127.152 mph on the historic 3.56-mile road course.

Taking the outside pole was the No. 6 Michael Shank Racing Ford Riley and NASCAR driver A.J. Allmendinger, who posted a lap of one minute, 40.802 seconds, 127.140 mph.

The Rolex 24 At Daytona will feature an international field of motorsports stars including two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson, two-time Indianapolis 500 winner and Dancing with the Stars champion Helio Castroneves, 2004 Sprint Cup champion Kurt Busch, Juan Pablo Montoya and 2007 IndyCar champ and 2007 Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti.

“Since I first came to this race, I’ve seen people coming from all kinds of disciplines, all coming for the same reason *to have a good time and go race,” Franchitti said. “It’s a great gathering. It’s good fun. There’s a lot of people here that, growing up, you watched racing and admired. Also people I’ve grown up racing with. It’s cool.”

Said Castroneves of the greatest challenge in the Rolex 24: “Obviously, be consistent, but not only that, but to keep your self out of trouble. It’s so easy to get into it and sometimes you don’t get into it, the trouble comes to you. That’s the biggest challenge in this type of racing.

“That’s what I learned last year. It doesn’t matter if you’re one, two or three seconds off the pace, what matters is that you need to keep at the end and on the same lap of the leaders you need to keep because you’re definitely going to be in good shape.”

The Speedway is also hosting several special activities besides the racing such as the Daytona 5K/Crocs Walk, a Chilli Cook-Off, Wine and Cheese tasting and a massive autograph session on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m.

The World Center of Racing’s official web site – www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com – will post hourly updates on the Rolex 24 and is also providing a live Web cam –

In addition, www.grand-am.com is providing live and timing and scoring on their site.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's up in 720p & DD5.1.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Some cameras are SD.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Will SPEED's coverage be in HD?

The cameras in the pit were SD, but it looks like all the cameras covering the race are in HD.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is anyone else in the West getting it in 4:3 SD right now? Not sure if KKFX here in Santa Barbara forgot to "flip the switch" or if someone (locally or at FOX) was only able to delay it in SD.

Oh, and its great to hear David Hobbs again. The F1 season can't come fast enough.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper /forum/post/12940224

Rolex 24 is widescreen, but it is not HD.

Actually, I think it is. Some cameras are, and others aren't though....

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Willis /forum/post/12940942

Actually, I think it is. Some cameras are, and others aren't though....

I think it's the old Fox Widescreen like they used to have with some of the football games. It's widescreen, but 480p instead of 720p. I've been watching it on two 720p TVs and a 1080p TV and I see a bunch of problems. Scaling artifacts, excessive softness, etc. Looks just like DVDs played in an up-converting player. If it is HD it's about the worst I've ever seen. And if it is HD then why has it not been promoted or mentioned anywhere. Surely the Speed commentators would make a deal about it, or at least a mention. Nothing!

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
It looks like crap (Fox and Speed). I see all kinds of scaling artifacts, softness, loss of detail, etc -- quality is like that of a DVD in an up-converting player. I think it's the good old non-HD Fox Widescreen we used to get for football games.

If this is HD, then there is a problem with the production. All my other HD channels look just fine, and with the quality I expect.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper /forum/post/12941192

It looks like crap (Fox and Speed). I see all kinds of scaling artifacts, softness, loss of detail, etc -- quality is like that of a DVD in an up-converting player. I think it's the good old non-HD Fox Widescreen we used to get for football games.

If this is HD, then there is a problem with the production. All my other HD channels look just fine, and with the quality I expect.

It's HD, but some of the shots are SD.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/12941415

It's HD, but some of the shots are SD.

All the pit/paddock stuff looks like SD widescreen. Obviously the in-car cameras are still SD and 4:3. If anything is HD it's the on-track cameras, but I'm not impressed, nor am I convinced it's HD.

I have a 61" 720p DLP, a 32" 720p LCD, and a 40" 1080p LCD. It's looks substandard on all of them. I can switch to any other HD channel and see significant improvement.

Does Speed say it's HD? I haven't seen/heard any such claim.

I hope I'm right because if this is the HD quality we're going to get on Speed for Rolex, ALMS, etc. I'm really very disappointed. At least for F1 the HD production is not in Speed's hands.

·
Registered
220 Posts
West coast DTV customer here, and I must say it is a pretty good PQ. I was watching on Fox 11 and switch to Speed channel ch607 and boy was it a big difference. The track and cars are very clear shot even with this being at night. It remain me of the HD showing of Torchwood on ch79 HDNET real clarity of the picture. Only thing sometime it goes back to SD when they switch to the in car cameras and looks like it's a fog on the track lol...

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiE48 /forum/post/12941764

West coast DTV customer here

DTV = Digital TV, as in over-the-air

D* = DirecTV

·
Registered
48 Posts
With so many in-car cams that are in SD, it waters down the HD shots bigtime, especially the wide to 4:3 switch.

Its a start, but a long way to go.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm just pleased to finally have it in HD, even if there are alot of SD shots. Great race too!! I miss not being there on a chilly Sunday morning.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/12941925

DTV = Digital TV, as in over-the-air

D* = DTV

Jeez sry (D*) If I offended the internet shorthand polices I apologize

1 - 20 of 23 Posts