AVS Forum banner
2321 - 2340 of 5070 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/13732589

It's hard to capture but I believe it's visible in the second image. See the light blue shadow (within the black bar) above the white background. Actually it's a great example as that's what it looks like from a typical viewing distance.

Yep, you spotted it (just to the right of Depp's head). Very prominent even at that distance from the TV with lighting in the room. I have a tech coming out but I doubt he'll be able to do anything about it. He'll probably just say "it's within specs" like every other defect. This just plain sucks.

·
Registered
888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlane /forum/post/13732654

Yep, you spotted it (just to the right of Depp's head). Very prominent even at that distance from the TV with lighting in the room. I have a tech coming out but I doubt he'll be able to do anything about it. He'll probably just say "it's within specs" like every other defect. This just plain sucks.

I don't have that on my 650 so its either a random thing across both models or a random thing on the 750.

I put Episode III on tonight just to look for it.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro /forum/post/13717638

I would really like to see some pros post some feedback on the setup and calibration of these sets.

I upgraded my SW to 1004 tonight, before calibration, as the post-update reset sent all my settings back to default. Before the update, I only had a single reboot event, and I haven't yet seen seen the halos or geometry problems others have encountered.

I'm no pro -- just an enthusiast with a Spyder2 and HCFR. But I've got some results I'm pretty happy with: Color temp tracks very close to 6500K, gamma is a touch under 2.2, color gamut is >Rec 709 (not as spot-on as Rahull got), CR measures 4124:1 with light output brought down to a reasonable 111 cd/m^2.

IMO, outstanding PQ, way better than out-of-the-box, still with some room for improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLogan13 /forum/post/13728233

Anyone know what the difference is between the standar Mack warranty and the Mack Premier warranty?

Go to Mack Camera's web site. There doesen't appear to be any mention of a Premier Warranty. The one retailer I know that is offering this "Premier" warranty shows the same Mack part numbers for the standard and "Premier" offerings. This leads me to believe that the difference is profit for the retailer.

Edit: Long time lurker in this thread. I have a 67" 750 on order from big river (pre-price hike) and can't wait! Anyone know if the 67's will beat the street date (6/1) like the 61's did?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere /forum/post/13733040

I purchased my 750 today at Circuit City. I actually assumed that delivery would be free but I ended up having to pay 200 extra for Fire Dog to come and "install" the TV - which is a load of rubbish. They told me that Internet delivery is free because it's just UPS, which means they'll just drop it off.

That's garbage. I'm 45 miles away and they brought their delivery truck. I've never had UPS deliver a TV, its always a freight company with 2 guys. You would have been better off buying through the internet at circuitcity.com, then they wouldn't have the chance to deceivingly upsell you into worthless Fire Dog. I have not seen any loss of B&M benefit from buying through circuitcity.com, but I got to skip dealing with clueless people pre-sale.

Quote:
Although after I realized that I would be paying 200 dollars for the thing to be delivered a whopping total of about two miles down the road, I decided not to purchase the warranty plan. Which hopefully won't come back to bite me in a few months.

The EW is less than $150 from a vendor on AVS. I don't think getting ripped off on delivery is a good excuse not to get a EW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question about the new firmware (1004) - is there a list somewhere of what issues it is intended to resolve? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ /forum/post/13733025

I upgraded my SW to 1004 tonight, before calibration, as the post-update reset sent all my settings back to default. Before the update, I only had a single reboot event, and I haven't yet seen seen the halos or geometry problems others have encountered.

I'm no pro -- just an enthusiast with a Spyder2 and HCFR. But I've got some results I'm pretty happy with: Color temp tracks very close to 6500K, gamma is a touch under 2.2, color gamut is >Rec 709 (not as spot-on as Rahull got), CR measures 4124:1 with light output brought down to a reasonable 111 cd/m^2.

IMO, outstanding PQ, way better than out-of-the-box, still with some room for improvement.

Could you post your CHC file?

Did you need to go into the service menu to do any adjustments?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN 7 /forum/post/13736335

Quick question about the new firmware (1004) - is there a list somewhere of what issues it is intended to resolve? Thanks in advance....

I was told by Samsung it fixed two items: power cycle and the issue with surround sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztkp01 /forum/post/13736480

I was told by Samsung it fixed two items: power cycle and the issue with surround sound.

OK - thanks! I'm on 1001, dated 2/28/08. I haven't had a power cycle (yet), so I won't fix what's not broken.... (knock on wood)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ /forum/post/13733025

what is HCFR, please?

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk /forum/post/13737904

what is HCFR, please?

Moonhawk, I'm re-posting my same answer to your same question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk /forum/post/13627383

Sorry, what is HCFR please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ /forum/post/13628237

It's calibration software that works with an assortment of hardware colorimeters.

Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/index_en.php or on the AVS display-calibration threads like this one or this one .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that LED DLPs have off colors. Whites look pinkish and skin tones are overly reddish, whereas the bulb based DLPs look great and have natural whites and skin tones. To me this is apparent in both the HLTxx76/HLTxx87 series and the new HLxxA650/HLxxA750 series. Just go to any CC or BB and look at the bulb vs LED versions next to each other; the difference in color fidelity is striking. I sat down in the store with both sets next to each other and no amount of tuning (including dynamic mode on/off or movie mode) corrected the color issue in the LED backlit version. I really want an LED based TV (no bulb or moving parts to replace) but I can't get past the color issue. Has anyone been able to get the LED DLPs to produce truer colors?

Anyway, waiting until nVidia produces stereoscopic drivers to play games in 3D on the Sammys before spending any $$ on a HL56A650. I believe Tridef.com currently offers s/w to view 3D and normal DVD's (and AVI files) in 3D using shutter glasses with the HLT and 650 series though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On the 61a750 if you are right up by it does the picture have a very slight less sharpness/less led light on top half of screen then bottom?BTW easier to check on top left side with pc on to see it.Before you answer you have to look up close on smallish text or even text under pc icons to tell if the text is slightly blurred/less clear then bottom of screen.Im thinking maybe very minor may be normal since these are very large and thin screens/bezel.Also if you change any settings in service menu if you click factory default in SM does that also reset the service menu stuff you changed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could someone tell me what the "3D effect" option does on this TV? Can you just put on regular red/blue 3D glasses and watch stuff in 3D or does this have to be used with the future add-on and have specific glasses to see. I notice you can turn it on on several different source inputs and that there are 2 modes.

thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineatesix /forum/post/13733107

I have a 67" 750 on order from big river (pre-price hike) and can't wait! Anyone know if the 67's will beat the street date (6/1) like the 61's did?

Hmmm, what was the pre-price hike at? It's selling for $2900 right now.

We won't see any reduction in price again for this TV for a while I take it.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite /forum/post/13722689

Is it bad that I have no desire to go into my 750's service menu to look at patterns?

I absolutely love the picture quality and feel like what I don't know won't kill me.

I've also got a feeling some of you guys are the same guys in the grocery store spending 10 minutes looking for that perfect dozen of eggs that doesn't even exist!

I agree with you - ENJOY! If it lacks at all then call on someone like UMR for a professional calibration to perfect instead of seeking OCD events reported on this forum far too often. Panel honeymoon's are brief on this forum while often the owner reviews of a panel by outsiders can be close to 5 star all the while nitpickers just obsess on this forum to the point of lunacy here to the point you'd think every panel were a POS.

Let your eyes be the JUDGE!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone know if CNET will be reviewing the 2008 Samsung's? I'd like to know their take on the 650 & 750's.

Also, what other places do video reviews? I think I've seen some done on TigerDirect.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/13738849

I agree with you - ENJOY! If it lacks at all then call on someone like UMR for a professional calibration to perfect instead of seeking OCD events reported on this forum far too often. Panel honeymoon's are brief on this forum while often the owner reviews of a panel by outsiders can be close to 5 star all the while nitpickers just obsess on this forum to the point of lunacy here to the point you'd think every panel were a POS.

Let your eyes be the JUDGE!

For starters no one can adjust the focus or convergence on the set. If you want to bury your head in the sand (by not looking at a few simple test patterns) that's fine. However your eyes can't really judge the set unless you do. Frankly staring at the image for 30 days trying to see if everything is Ok sounds like a lot more work than spending five minutes and looking at one test grid pattern.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:

It's hard to capture but I believe it's visible in the second image. See the light blue shadow (within the black bar) above the white background. Actually it's a great example as that's what it looks like from a typical viewing distance.

This also happens when a very bright area is close to the top black bar on my HLT6189 TV, so it's not just the A750.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can see this on my set as well. However, a couple of things to note: It looks much worse in the picture than it does in normal viewing. It also looks much worse if you are standing directly in front of the screen, looking down at it. If you are sitting at your normal viewing distance, with the screen at a proper viewing height, it is (to me) barely noticeable. I doubt most of my guests would notice it if I didn't point it out. So, I'm not too worried about it. I'm guessing some sort of internal reflections or something. Lining the insides with Duvetyny probably would help.

Quote:

2321 - 2340 of 5070 Posts