AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 16738 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Great job Mike_Pro! I think a known bug is still the issues with 1080p over component, maybe you didn't list it but I've seen at least a couple people confirm it in the big thread even with the new firmware.

I would suggest mentioning in your summary that the best option for 360 owners is to just use VGA.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 /forum/post/13880478

I would also recommend people try Charles R's settings for th TV as I am pretty happy with those. Do not remember them off the top of my head, but it had Dynamic Contrast on high and LED adjust on MIN as a base (to give the deepest blacks and highest contrasts) and then worked from there. Maybe if everyone plays nice he will post them lol

y can't u just post ur settings and we can start there...

·
Registered
743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls /forum/post/13880760

Great job Mike_Pro! I think a known bug is still the issues with 1080p over component, maybe you didn't list it but I've seen at least a couple people confirm it in the big thread even with the new firmware.

I don't think that no 1080p over component is a bug. I'm not aware of any consumer TVs that will accept 1080p over component. Or any consumer source that will output 1080p over component. I don't know whether that is a digital issue or bandwidth issue or what.

Edit 05-21-08. I should have done better research about TVs and componets that accept or send 1080p over comonent. Disregard my comments about sources and TVs accepting or send 1080p over comonent.

My point should have stated that since 1080p is not in the current standard for component, I don't think it can be considered a bug if it does not work correctly all of the time. I believe there have been proposals made to add 1080p to the standard. If issues can be fixed with firmware, then they should do so.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeatnik /forum/post/13881152

I don't think that no 1080p over component is a bug. I'm not aware of any consumer TVs that will accept 1080p over component. Or any consumer source that will output 1080p over component. I don't know whether that is a digital issue or bandwidth issue or what.

Well it works most of the time, and the 360 supports setting 1080p over component. If they support setting it you would think the official MS cables would support it. I posted videos on YouTube of the behavior. This was discussed a lot in the big thread and I don't remember the argument being made that it wasn't supported.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino /forum/post/13880992

y can't u just post ur settings and we can start there...

I know it sounds weird but I really feel like I have no clue about them right now. I am relatively sure they are something like this:

Contrast:85

Brightness: ranges from 49 to 69 depending on conditions of room

sharpness:0

color:53

tint:47/50

color: warm1

mode: movie

LED adjust: min (bump to about medium if room is brighter)

dynamic contrast: high

I am pretty sure about those, I would assume that I have any other kind of "enhancement" turned off. Sorry I don't have more exact info for you guys; its been an "off" day for me

·
Registered
743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls /forum/post/13881713

Well it works most of the time, and the 360 supports setting 1080p over component. If they support setting it you would think the official MS cables would support it. I posted videos on YouTube of the behavior. This was discussed a lot in the big thread and I don't remember the argument being made that it wasn't supported.

Didn't know about the 360. Thanks for the info.

Component has been out way longer than 1080p and is probably not in the specifications. It will probably remain hit or miss as far as working. Since you can't upconvert regular DVDs over component (in most cases), and with everything moving to HDMI, I would not expect companies to try to upgrade an old technology.

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for starting a new thread Mike. 105 pages was getting ridiculous.

I thought I would make my first post an intro and comment on the firmware update process. I noticed one of the users on the other thread was contemplating the update but was waiting for some reason. DON'T WAIT!! It's a super easy process and fixes the power-off bug in the previous software version.

I picked up my set last Friday from BB on their web-special price, along with the $100 off for any BR player, so we went with the PS3. All I can say is the PQ is absolutely stunning. Our old set was a Panasonic rear projection from '02. It's power supply board melted down a capacitor and it would just shut itself off within about 5 seconds on power-up. BTW, Costco took that set back for full credit after five and a half years. Too bad they don't sell Samsung!!

I arrived at pretty much the same picture settings that Mike has posted, great info there. We watched our second BR movie on Wednesday and got our first power-cycle black-out. I had already been lurking on other thread so wasn't surprised when it happened.

At that point I decided to look into the firmware update, so I jumped on the 'net and found the Samsung site and sure enough, easy enough to download the file. I also found that on the set, in the SW (software) update mode, if you press the 'info' key it displays the current firmware version of the set. Mine was 1001, the new file is 1004. I imagine that means there were three updates since my set was built. BTW, Samsung only offers up the most current firmware version on their site, along with a PDF sheet with instructions.

Since it hasn't been detailed on any of the threads yet I thought I would go over the process to ease any aprehension from any of the new set owners.

The download file is about 20mb, it's an execute file that unzips the compressed files for updating the set. You do need a USB flashdrive in order to do the update. When you run the exe file you are promted for an unzip folder. Just tell it to unzip to your flash-drive, it will create a folder and put the required files in it. The set automatically locates the folder/directory it needs on your flash drive and runs the update.

Insert the flash drive in the USB socket on the back of the set, cancel the prompt for 'Wise' connection, then select the menu item for SW Update. It does it all by itself, and you're good to go!

The latest report form the owners is that this fixes the power-off cycling with hdmi connected componenets. I have not tried another BR movie yet but I'm guessing my set is fixed.

For anyone lurking that's trying to decide if these sets are any good, I can say without hesitation that they are fantastic. The stores are pushing LCD, but in this size they are really expensive. Unless you need a wall-mount set, the Samsung just has to be the best unit out there, especially now with the LED lamping system.

Thanks for reading and happy viewing!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just wanted to say hi. I just took delivery of a 61A750 a few hours ago. I spent the last 3 hours setting up all of the inputs. I also ran through some tests. The set is pretty good out of the box, but I had to tweak some of the settings. It was brighter than I thought it would be. I am even coming from the 4071F LCD from Samsung which was a bright set. This monster makes the 40 inch look like a portable TV.

I just want to say if anyone is on the fence about this set, you are crazy. Jump in and you will not be disappointed. The picture quality and color is incredible. The size is almost like being in a movie theater. I am very happy with this set and will be hanging around this thread for a while.

I acquired this set in a very peculiar way. For those that are interested, I purchased a Samsung LNT4071f in mid January so I would have it in time for the Superbowl. I bought it because of the AMP feature that tries to interpret frames and insert them in between two real frames. This process is supposed to reduce motion blur. The problem is this new technology created problems for small fast moving objects like footballs, baseballs, golfballs, and hockey pucks. It is known as TBE or triple ball effect because the ball turns in to multiple balls when it is thrown. Since I purchased the TV mainly for Football and video games, this presented a problem. Samsung was aware of the issue and posted something on their website to let owners know it was fixed for some settings and they were working on a fix for all of the settings with this feature.

To make a long story short, it really wasn't fixed and it has been almost 6 months since they stated that. They released new models with this feature and even though it was improved, it never really eliminated the problem with TBE. I started to complain and we set up a repair. The tech knew about this and couldn't repair the problem. Samsung replaced my TV with the same model. It was better but it was not 100% fixed. I then started to complain again and this time they were going to give me my money back. I asked if they could give me another model instead. They agreed and a couple weeks later here I am. I couldn't be more pleased with them doing this for me even though it was such a huge hassle on my part to call and complain every day and sometimes more than once a day. I am happy now and would definitley by Samsung products in the future.

Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanna say thanks for all the input. My friend is on his 2nd Sammy DLP set and he recommended this set to me. I'm glad there is such an abundance of information you folks provided to help solidify my decision in getting a HL61a750. Thanks to all the contributions from posters of all the various threads on the Series 7 LED DLP RPTV's.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tansom /forum/post/13887534

where are cheapest price I can find this TV?

The Big River currently has the best absolute price (no shipping fee and generally no sales tax) for a reliable vendor. Other businesses may also price match. If you also need a stand and you like the Samsung stand, Crutchfield bundles it with the TV if you ask for it. There is risk to buying remotely, so if you can get a local seller close by to come close it may be a better deal due to the reduced risk even if you might pay a little more.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/13889298

The Big River currently has the best absolute price (no shipping fee and generally no sales tax) for a reliable vendor. Other businesses may also price match. If you also need a stand and you like the Samsung stand, Crutchfield bundles it with the TV if you ask for it. There is risk to buying remotely, so if you can get a local seller close by to come close it may be a better deal due to the reduced risk even if you might pay a little more.

Yep, they do, and I just pulled the trigger on it this morning. I am kind of bummed that the estimated delevery date is 5-29 though! But a local dealer (Ultimate) couldn't come close to matching it (And they don't even have it in local inventory yet!). Anyway I saved well over $400.00 going with "Big River" and I plan to buy the TV only extended warranty from MACK for $120.00 I just need to do some more research on how fast they handle warranty claims/and reputation. But you can't beat that EW price locally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, according to post number #828 of the 2008 "2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion" thread, this TV does have the DarkChip4

i'd post a link, but i just joined and need to have 3 posts min before i can...

just thought it might be useful for updating the FAQ

although i haven't read through all 100+ pages... so i dunno if it was later found that it doesn't

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixer /forum/post/13892962

hello, according to post number #828 of the 2008 "2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion" thread, this TV does have the DarkChip4

i'd post a link, but i just joined and need to have 3 posts min before i can...

just thought it might be useful for updating the FAQ

although i haven't read through all 100+ pages... so i dunno if it was later found that it doesn't

that would definately explain why my HL61A750 replacement set has deeper blacks than my old HLT5687S it replaced.....happy days!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for starting a seperate thread, I bought one last Thursday from Crutchfield. The free stand was the major factor in me buying it from them, I could have bought it locally for the same price but the free stand and lack of sales tax and it was a done deal.

What do I need to know as soon as I get it? What type of damage should I look for so I can send it back before the delivery guy leaves?

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1991 /forum/post/13893399

Thanks for starting a seperate thread, I bought one last Thursday from Crutchfield. The free stand was the major factor in me buying it from them, I could have bought it locally for the same price but the free stand and lack of sales tax and it was a done deal.

What do I need to know as soon as I get it? What type of damage should I look for so I can send it back before the delivery guy leaves?

Actually, I second that. I know I can browse through the 100+ pages of the other post, but seeing as this is a FAQ, maybe a quick rundown on how to check for the common problems that people are having? What menu's to get to and how to "analyze" what you're seeing, or something. I've never had a DLP before, or anything other than a CRT, so really I have no idea what I'd even be looking for.

Excellent job so far. I got mine off big river, estimated delivery sometime between 5/28 - 6/3

·
Registered
388 Posts
For everybody anticipating a long delivery time from the Bigriver.

I ordered last Wednesday night and the TV has already arrived in my town, although not at my door yet. It still shows an estimated arrival time of 9-10 days at Bigriver, but it might be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ordered mine late night on 5/13/08. Estimated delivery to Chicagoland area was 5/23. Not bad for free shipping, I guess. BUT, I received it Saturday, 5/17 instead! Great delivery service. Even helped me plug in and connect it and navigate to the menu to ensure the picture and sound worked acceptably before signing for it! I'm now the happy owner of a Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP!

The stand will be here on Monday. No problem as the TV sort of fits my stand from my old Toshiba 62HM95, which died of a light engine failure last weekend. The old stand will join the old TV on it's way to TV heaven (or hell, if I had my way) as soon as I can figure out how to dispose of it... (Toshiba can bite my backside!)

I've always enjoyed swimming the BigRiver and this just drives it home even more!!!

And we absolutely LOVE the new TV!!! After a few tweaks to keep from being blinded and dialing in some other basic settings, we've spent a beautiful weekend reaquainting ourselves with the happy world of enjoying a great AV entertainment experience!

We did have the experience of the unexpected shutdown and restart this evening, but having already read about it, within less than 15 minutes I had the new firmware downloaded and flashed to the TV and we were good to go again!

I'm gonna skip the calibration this time around, as we're so happy with the results already attained. I'm looking forward to reading suggestions for settings from other owners as more come aboard and begin tweaking on their own. I'll share too, if I come up with anything beyond just a few basic adjustments!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Geometry is fine Ramazur! I don't see any evidence of any other shortcomings I've read others occasionally have found, other than the firmware update, which was an amazingly simple thing to remedy.

21 - 40 of 16738 Posts