AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
The poor excuse for a host broadcaster (Seven Australia) are showing it in SD widescreen across Australia right now. Looks pretty poor. Amazing how they can't produce the centre court matches in HD at least. It's a world event.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren /forum/post/15589687

more stretched SD content on HD channels that we come to love right?

B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sd widescreen does not equal stretched hd

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Ivanovic and Roddick matches look like they're in much higher quality than the others.... HD is not as good as NBC's Wimbledon coverage, but the two main courts look like HD to me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullytwin /forum/post/15590237

The Ivanovic and Roddick matches look like they're in much higher quality than the others.... HD is not as good as NBC's Wimbledon coverage, but the two main courts look like HD to me.

I agree. They showed some action on the smaller courts and the PQ was below average to say the least. On the main cam on stadium court, when looking at the chair umpire area, it looks like SD. But on closeups of the players it looks average HD or very good SD upconvert.

Not to mention the horrendous scorebar + BottomLine taking up ~17%. At least they take away the scorebar when showing replays, however, the BottomLine itself has covered at least one close call already.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 /forum/post/15590259

Not to mention the horrendous scorebar + BottomLine taking up ~17%. At least they take away the scorebar when showing replays, however, the BottomLine itself has covered at least one close call already.

Oh, I know -- so much "dead space" in the upper corners, and instead they have the scoreline actually covering the baseline sometimes! Worse, the scoreline itself is mostly just grey/black bar, with a little text in the middle. No reason it all it has to be where it is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
picture looks pretty good to me on ESPN2HD (except for having to see the damn bottom line, but with that and the scorebar on the bottom and dead space on the top, this isn't ideal. I don't know how much ESPN has to do with the camera placement, etc. there.

And on the schedule, Tennis Channel's "Australian Open Today" daily replays is missing. It's not live, but it's on when we can watch it, and ESPN2's replays are listed.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo_90 /forum/post/15589544

The poor excuse for a host broadcaster (Seven Australia) are showing it in SD widescreen across Australia

That would be acceptable if they hadn't issued that release last year stating they would show it in HD. There really is no reason why they can't.

As for images, I left these interlaced rather than destroy image quality but you can see that it is normal ugly SD here. BTW, what on Earth is with that hideous ESPN bar!? The normal scoreboard (that Seven use here in Australia) looks so much better it isn't funny.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyhrdmet /forum/post/15590547

And on the schedule, Tennis Channel's "Australian Open Today" daily replays is missing. It's not live, but it's on when we can watch it, and ESPN2's replays are listed.

If you have a link I could add it to the OP.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Couple courts look to be HD. Rest are widescreen SD. It is nothing like US Open, but the no tennis tournament is as far as HD PQ.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offline /forum/post/15591444

That would be acceptable if they hadn't issued that release last year stating they would show it in HD. There really is no reason why they can't.

As for images, I left these interlaced rather than destroy image quality but you can see that it is normal ugly SD here. BTW, what on Earth is with that hideous ESPN bar!? The normal scoreboard (that Seven use here in Australia) looks so much better it isn't funny.

What's with the ringing on the edges of the score caption and court markings??

(Can't be camera detail wound in if it is on the captions? Are Seven winding in some edge enhancement prior to upconversion? They can't be going analogue anywhere after the main mixer can they?)

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Andy Murray match being shown live on Eurosport HD from the Rod Laver Arena is definitely HD. HD host graphics and HD cameras - definitely not an upconvert from 16:9 SD.

Eurosport are - as usual - tagging it with their annoying NATIVE HD bug bottom right, which they take out for SD upconverts.

The BBC are showing it live in SD on BBC Two - presumably because they are running it through an operation in London (and the main London control room for BBC Sport is still SD) and can't therefore show it in HD on BBC HD? (It is also being shown overnight in the UK...)

Notice it is shot a bit wider than Wimbledon, but not as wide as the US Open.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
That score bar is awful, they need to go back to a score box.

Plus if you are watching the HD feed letterboxed on an SD TV the lines at the ends of the score bar keep vibrating.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts