AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Scotland. Yes, we're in SD.... AGAIN! Below is a picture of our control room. Ironically, we're in an HD truck this year. We're ready for HD, just waiting on the BBC.

The weather this week has been fantastic, hopefully it will stay this way.

· Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/16740546

Well this is the last year for TNT/ABC. ESPN will show all live coverage next year and ABC will show 6 hours of taped highlights. I must say that in previous years the upconvert did look very good.

Yes I would say looks pretty good this year.

Trido

· Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/16740546

Well this is the last year for TNT/ABC. ESPN will show all live coverage next year and ABC will show 6 hours of taped highlights. I must say that in previous years the upconvert did look very good.

Do you mean to say ESPN will take over the TNT portion of coverage? I'm sure ABC would like to be the OTA carrier for the third and final rounds, live.

· Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic /forum/post/16832755

Why did I get an email from DirecTV saying that the Open will be on 701-05 in HD?

I thought EVERYTHING was in HD on Direct? It seems so watching their commercials.

· Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL /forum/post/16833742

Do you mean to say ESPN will take over the TNT portion of coverage? I'm sure ABC would like to be the OTA carrier for the third and final rounds, live.

ESPN will show all 4 rounds live starting next year, ABC will only have taped coverage.

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Ad People listen to US.

If the PQ is just so-so, we will not watch it!!! The last hour or so maybe. But i will not watch Golf any more unless it is in HD. It's just too boring/grainy/hard to fallow and i can do other things. Just to make my point when the Masters was on, on Saturday, some friends came by to do something with my wife...(non golfers). Saw the Plasma HD PQ and sat down for a good half hour to watch the pretty screen. I wouldn't even do that for SD...

· Registered
992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/16835518

Ad People listen to US.

If the PQ is just so-so, we will not watch it!!!

You may not watch it, but if it is the British Open, I will be watching as much as possible. In fact, I don't think the widescreen SD presentation is unwatchable at all.

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr /forum/post/16835525

is TNT's presentation tape delayed?

No we're live. Although TNT does rebroadcast our live coverage after our live window ends.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
While it was a number of years ago, Golf Digest asked a number of tour players to rank the majors in order of their personal preference. As you might expect, most US players picked the US Open and Masters above the British Open. Non US players usually picked the British Open first, with the Masters being generally second. Hence, for the most part it depends on where you're from and the style of game required by the type of course you typically play/watch.

I don't agree that the BO courses are photogenic. Compared to Augusta, Cypress Point or Pebble they don't really knock your eyes out visually. In fact, they come across as pretty bland on television. The reason is they are flatter and have far fewer trees than the typical course we see here. But, they have their own type of character. The subtle humps and bumps that don't come across very well on TV. That is why I think it's more important for the BO to be in HD than any of the others. Its because their hidden and unique charm is nearly invisible in SD and US viewers are denied the opportunity to see what the players see. In my opinion, even more than the other majors.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL /forum/post/16833742

Do you mean to say ESPN will take over the TNT portion of coverage?

No, in 2010 ESPN will have all live coverage in HD, and ABC will have weekend highlight shows.

Quote:
I'm sure ABC would like to be the OTA carrier for the third and final rounds, live.

Don't be so sure. ABC & ESPN are both owned by Disney. It's a corporate decision how to maximize revenue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1163210

· Registered
6,101 Posts
Tons of audio dropouts on TNT HD with Comcast in the ATL yesterday. Not sure if that's how it came into the cable plant here, but we had no problem with other channels. Picture was fine, audio was not.

You lose a lot of detail when the guys are putting on the greens with widescreen SD IMO, but it's way better than the old days of regular (and often grainy) SD British Opens.

· Registered
4,491 Posts
Looks like ABC's chance for decent ratings may take a dive.

Tiger is having a horrific round, he's at +7 through 13 (and the cut line appears to be at +4), so it appears he's burnt bread (i.e., toast).

One saving grace - Tom Watson (yes, 59-year old Tom Watson) is tied for the lead.

· Registered
3,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 /forum/post/16841640

Looks like ABC's chance for decent ratings may take a dive.

Tiger is having a horrific round, he's at +7 through 13 (and the cut line appears to be at +4), so it appears he's burnt bread (i.e., toast).

One saving grace - Tom Watson (yes, 59-year old Tom Watson) is tied for the lead.

Why is the cut at +4? I thought PGA rules for the cut were either within 10 strokes of the leader or the top 60 players. Therefore, the cut should be +5.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.