AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Cotton Bowl on FOX

#7 Texas Tech Red Raiders (11-1) vs. #25 Mississippi Rebels (8-4)

Live from Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas, TX

January 2, 2008

2pm ET

720p & DD5.1

Please post all related comments here, and include provider (OTA, Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV), and source (station call letters & city), thanks.

Quote:
From FOX Sports

Batten down the hatches as the Texas Tech Red Raiders and Mississippi Rebels are set to play in the 73rd edition of the AT&T Cotton Bowl.

Combined, these two teams average more than 75 points per game, making this game a fan favorite and a fitting match up to celebrate the last year at Cotton Bowl Stadium. The 2010 edition of the game will be played in the Dallas Cowboys new stadium.

The Red Raiders have a lot to prove in this game. With only one blemish on their record, a loss to #1 Oklahoma, #7 Tech will be out to make a statement behind sensational senior quarterback, Graham Harrell, and his favorite receiver, Michael Crabtree. Harrell, this year's winner of the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, is 2nd in passing in NCAA history with 15,429 yards and puts him in the elite company of other Unitas Award winners, Matt Ryan (Atlanta Falcons), Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning and Peyton Manning.

A product of the Dallas area, Harrell will be facing another Dallas area quarterback in #20 Mississippi's Jevan Snead. The Rebels have the hot hand as they won their last five games in the tough SEC.

This is the fifth match up between these two schools with each team sporting a 2-2 record.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by begglest /forum/post/15440646

SD on WFXR with comcast in Blacksburg, VA. Hope it switches over to HD.

I'm watching it in HD now via FOX5HD channel 705 fed from TWC.

It ain't good - field shots are fuzzy and have that JPEG "halo" around all the players that shouts "COMPRESSION". Close ups are a bit better but there is some edge breakup on motion.

Sigh...some day HD broadcast events will truly be HD.

Erik

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
HD on KDFW Dallas since the start. PQ is pretty lousy, even for Fox. Lots of swimming grass, mosquito noise around the lines on the field, and even some occasional blocking. Getting about 12Mb/s on the video, and it shows. The "sky view" cam looks like 480i widescreen. ESPN this is not

·
Registered
548 Posts
Has been in SD on WFTX-DT Cape Coral (both Dish and OTA) since the start of half-time.

So many issues with audio, picture, pixelation, and the loss of HD.

Anybody else have similar issues?

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
I disagree with rotohead.

Summerall knows more about football than almost anyone else broadcasting, and his elegance of style -- and minimal amount of self-promotion -- is a welcome reminder of when the game was the thing, not the continual hype or cross-promotion opportunities.

(Maybe Fox could bring back Keith Jackson for a final BCS game next season.)

·
Registered
548 Posts
HD back on WFTX-DT both OTA and on Dish.

Looks like they may have had to reset an HD receiver or something.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Comxcast (Plymouth) WFXT Boston, not too bad here, pretty good, not as good as last nights game, a little bit more washed out compared to the Liberty Bowl on ESPN but I'm chalking that up to the time of day and the sunlight that has to be wreacking havoc on the cameramen..

But the audio is horrible, background crowd cheers and coming through distorted and and such. But besides that no complaints here in this neck of the woods.

Good game though TT just scored to cut the lead.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/15441791

I disagree with rotohead.

Summerall knows more about football than almost anyone else broadcasting, and his elegance of style -- and minimal amount of self-promotion -- is a welcome reminder of when the game was the thing, not the continual hype or cross-promotion opportunities.

(Maybe Fox could bring back Keith Jackson for a final BCS game next season.)

Well, whatever makes you happy...all you had to hear was how Summerall butchered the end of the second quarter. Just cus you have football knowledge doesn't mean that you're well suited to be a broadcaster for six decades.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with Fredfa and all his reasons. Pat Summerall isn't a good broadcaster, he's a great broadcaster. Too much useless talk and commentary is just noise polution. Let it breathe. Pat has the right balance. Oh yeah, I'd love to see and hear Keith Jackson!

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two /forum/post/15442287

I agree with Fredfa and all his reasons. Pat Summerall isn't a good broadcaster, he's a great broadcaster. Too much useless talk and commentary is just noise polution. Let it breathe. Pat has the right balance. Oh yeah, I'd love to see and hear Keith Jackson!

Well, good for you too...if you both think Summerall is a 'great broadcaster' I can only imagine what you two think about the likes of Gumbel, Madden and Kornhieser. Summerall is clueless for clueless viewers. Good luck and enjoy them all for another twenty years.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, with or without knowledge. But to call Pat Summerall clueless, IMO, just speaks more about you than about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead /forum/post/15442189

Well, whatever makes you happy...all you had to hear was how Summerall butchered the end of the second quarter. Just cus you have football knowledge doesn't mean that you're well suited to be a broadcaster for six decades.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
It is hard to disagree. It was pretty shameful PQ.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.