AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now I'm annoyed I missed this.

Turns out the nine days of the 2009 IAAF Track and Field championship from Berlin were carried on VersusHD!!!

Why didn't I know that? I only just happened to notice it listed in my DVR's Guide today (when I was looking for IRL times) and managed to watch today's final day of action (or at least 2 hours of it).

And I must say, the picture quality was superb! What a difference from my memory of NBC's attrocious HD picture quality from Athens back in 2004. Couldn't watch anybody running (e.g. track, long-jump, etc.) without severe pixelization and blocking. In contrast, VersusHD quality on these same events seems smooth and perfect, along with excellent color (nice blue track!).

Plus, quality announcers (Tom Hammond and what sounds like Ato Boldon, Dwight Stones, etc.).

I wish someone would have posted a "heads up" a few weeks back on the upcoming event. Oh well. My own fault, I guess.

Fortunately, TWC has only this year added VersusHD to their list of carried HD channels, so we probably have no risk of losing it in the near future (as apparently D* subscribers are losing it next week). It was a real treat watching this year's Tour in HD (along with the IRL just this weekend) and now IAAF (today, anyway).

Anyway, again, excellent coverage and picture quality by VersusHD.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Some of it was on NBC then repeated on Versus. It was a USA (and nearby islands) only show. They never replayed the finish of the sprints showing the complete field.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Beautiful PQ and just plain well produced. Only downer, and it was a big one, was the seemingly endless reminder that VS is not scheduled to continue on D* after 8/31/09.

Actually makes no difference to me, as the last time I watched this channel was for the world games in 2007.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts