AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When switching to "ISF mode", which has two choices labeled ADV1 & ADV2, both PerfectColor & PerfecTint become unusable. There is also nothing in the service menu as opposed to the 2008 models, which had everything (gain, saturation, & hue).

What ADV1 & ADV2 have, instead, are red, green, & blue adjustment sliders for all 6 colors. So, for example, red has red, green, & blue adjustments & green has red, green, & blue adjustments, and so forth. The adjustments are from 0-30 with no negatives allowed. By default, red has 15 for red, 0 for green, & 0 for blue. Green has 0 for red, 15 for green, & 0 for blue. Blue has 0 for red, 0 for green, & 15 for blue. The three secondaries' values have two that are 15 & one that is 0.

For calibration with a meter, can anyone tell me how these interact? I was expecting to adjust settings called gain, saturation, and hue, (or, something close to that), but that's out the window now.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
It's similar to the new Samsung flat panels.

There's some interaction, as you expect. Hopefully you are using software that allows easy matching of color luminance.

After setting grayscale, adjust color so the average luminance of the primaries and secondaries is close to matching the white luminance for 75% window white.

On to the CMS: for the red, use the red to get the luminance close to (or slightly below) matching white. Then, if the red primary point is too wide (it probably will be), add some green to pull it toward yellow/green or add some blue to pull it toward cyan/blue. This will raise the overall luminance of red, but not to the same extent that the red control has. So after you have added the blue and green you will probably have to reduce the red to get the luminance correct. Repeat process if needed.

It will be the same with blue and green.

The secondaries are a little different. If cyan is wide (outside rec 709), add red to pull it back. Then use a combination of blue and green to raise or lower the luminance and pull it toward green or blue as needed. Yellow and magenta will act the same way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thank you very much. I won't be able to try again until later this week, but what you said makes sense to me. I'm using CalMAN for the first time, and probably not doing something correctly, which is adding to my struggles.

It seems like I need to make sure that nothing begins inside the triangle, since it sounds like nothing can be pushed out. Would cranking the color (not PerfectColor) way up before I begin help this at all?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
That's good, CalMAN is perfect for this. Make sure you use the absolute luminance color graph.

Yes, you won't be able to widen the triangle, though increasing color saturation beyond what is accurate might widen it at the expense of accuracy. Don't try to do it that way. Just set the color like I said after taking a complete color run and getting the average color luminance close to matching the white luminance with 75% windows (or full fields would be OK to use on your TV).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts