6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, January 3rd
Atlanta Falcons at Arizona Cardinals

NFC Wildcard

Live from University of Phoenix, Glendale, AZ

NBC HD 1080i & DD5.1

4:30 PM ET

Tom Hammond, Cris Collinsworth will have the call, Tiki Barber serves as the sideline reporter.

Indianapolis Colts at San Diego Chargers

AFC Wildcard

Live from Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA

NBC HD 1080i & DD5.1

8:00 PM ET

Al Michaels, John Madden will have the call, Andrea Kremer serves as the sideline reporter.

Sunday, January 4th
Baltimore Ravens at Miami Dolphins

AFC Wildcard

Live from Dolphin Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida.

CBS HD 1080i & DD5.1

1 PM ET

Jim Nantz, Phil Simms will have the call.

Philadelphia Eagles at Minnesota Vikings

NFC Wildcard

Live from the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN

FOX HD 720p & DD5.1

4:30 PM ET

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman will have the call, Pam Oliver serves as the sideline reporter.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
VISA NFL Power Predictions by What If Sports

All 4 Wild Cards get the pick over Division Champs.

Atlanta Falcons (11-5) at Arizona Cardinals (9-7) - Falcons 63.2%

Indianapolis Colts (12-4) at San Diego Chargers (8-8) - Colts 58.7%

Baltimore Ravens (11-5) at Miami Dolphins (11-5) - Ravens 70.2%

Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1) at Minnesota Vikings (10-6) - Eagles 61.0%

What If Sports utilizes its football simulation to rank teams based on their likelihood of winning the upcoming week. To come up with the rankings, each upcoming game is simulated 10,000 times and teams are ordered by winning percentage. The predictions use the most up-to-date stats, rosters and depth charts.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/15418896

In other NFL news today, the 2010 Pro Bowl will be played in Miami in 2010 the week before the Super Bowl on ESPN. Miami is also the host of the 2010 Super Bowl.

I presume that means we will begin seeing it in HD if this begins a trend.

·
Registered
74,195 Posts
^^^ Week before. They're trying to goose-up the ratings (which have been plummeting as of late) since apparently American's appetite for NFL footballs dies on Super Bowl Sunday. This might help the ratings a little but, since none of the Pro Bowl players from the teams that actually make it to the big game would participate (for obvious reasons), this is a tryout to see what to do with the Pro Bowl from 2011 on. I think it might be NFL Network bound or canceled altogether if the ratings are bad in '10

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Since Al and John did the [email protected] game last Sunday, did they stay in San Diego for the week (since they're doing [email protected]) or did they return to their respective homes during the week?

Also, anybody know the ticket buying status for the [email protected] game? KNSD has been advertising that they'll show the game at 5:15 PM PST, but isn't that dependent on them selling out by TODAY (12/31 - 72 hours prior) at 5:15 PM? Early reports show lots of people buying tickets, but I'm not sure of the current status.

This should be the last home game of the year at the Q, but if something strange should happen (the #1, #2 and #3 seeds - Titans, Steelers, Dolphins respectively - all lose), then the Chargers would get the AFC Championship game at home.

·
Registered
74,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 /forum/post/15422873

Since Al and John did the [email protected] game last Sunday, did they stay in San Diego for the week (since they're doing [email protected]) or did they return to their respective homes during the week?

Madden took a week off this season (piggy-backed with the Thanksgiving week bye) citing his long absences from home in previous seasons as the reason. Since he's stuck on the ground my guess is he stays in the SD area unless he lives nearby. I don't know if his relatives/family have his same phobia for flying but it's probably easier/cheaper for them to fly and have Christmas/New Year's on John's bus (or hotel/guest home he's staying in) than for him to drive there and back to the game. Michaels is loaded and doesn't have a fear of flying. He's probably on the first plane back home Monday morning and on the noon plane back to San Diego Thursday. All pure guessing of course!

·
Registered
6,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/15422738

They're trying to goose-up the ratings (which have been plummeting as of late)

its not to bump the ratings because its moving from network to cable so the rating will actually be lower.

per "the insiders" its gonna be used as a bargaining chip in the upcoming cba talks for $$ bonus purposes as 4 teams (the 2 super bowl teams + the 2 championship game teams too) will not participate therefore bringing in more players who then also hit pro bowl $$ incentives built into their contracts....theres more to it than that but thats the jist of it.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 /forum/post/15422873

Madden lives in Oakland so I'm sure he was driven up the coast and I think Al lives in LA.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/15427463

chargers & dolphins are both sold out....also chargers will be wearing their powder blue uniforms....cool !!

vikings & cardinals not sold out yet & both got extensions.

I don't think the Chargers can wear their powder blues. They last wore them against the Raiders and those were auctioned off for charity, afterwards.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/15423448

its not to bump the ratings because its moving from network to cable so the rating will actually be lower.

It's got a lot to do with the ratings. With the switch in the timing, I wouldn't be so sure that the ratings will be lower, despite the fact that it'll be on ESPN. It's not like they're putting it on NFLN.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 /forum/post/15429369

I don't think the Chargers can wear their powder blues. They last wore them against the Raiders and those were auctioned off for charity, afterwards.

Chargers PR: It's a Powder Blue Playoff Weekend
Quote:
The announcement was unexpected because after the team last wore the uniforms in the game against the Oakland Raiders on Thursday night, Dec. 4, the jerseys were sent to the National Football League office in New York where they were to be auctioned off for charity on NFL.com.

It took some doing, but we were able to get the jerseys back just before they hit the auction site, said A.G. Spanos, the Chargers' executive vice president & executive officer. We hope by wearing these special alternate uniforms, it will help generate added excitement for both our players as well as our fans and give us an even stronger home-field advantage.

After the game, the team plans to return the jerseys to the League where they will be auctioned off on NFL.com to benefit Chargers Charities and Chargers Champions, their education and fitness community initiative.

I was surprised to hear this news also. But, the powder blues look great on TV, and if it increases their resale value for charity, all the better.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
From KARE11.com

Vikings face possible blackout; thousands of playoff tickets still up for grabs

New Year's Day, football and JJ's Clubhouse. For Mark Sculati and Jay Griep, it's about as good as it gets.

Already, the two are predicting a big win for the Vikings this Sunday. Not that they'll be in the dome watching it. They -- like so many people -- have their reasons for staying home, instead.

"Everybody's got flat-screened T.V.s. It's so nice watching it from the living room on HDTV rather than going to the dome," said Sculati. "I think the economy, I think that has a lot to do with it, why they aren't selling out," said Griep.

Whatever the reason, as of noon Thursday, the Vikings had eight thousand tickets left to sell for their first playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles this Sunday. The deadline for selling the remaining tickets is 3:30 p.m. Friday.

"We're cautiously optimistic. We have a lot of work to do in the next 24 hours," said Steve LaCroix, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for the Minnesota Vikings. LaCroix says the holidays definitely distracted fans -- preventing them from buying playoff tickets.

But he realizes season ticket holders are also not coming through with purchases. At one point, only 55 percent of season ticket holders were buying playoff tickets. Still, he says, that trend is both costly and convenient for fans hoping to score a few good seats.

"Really the post season is where some really special things can happen. Maybe we did qualify for the playoffs on the last day, but we still won the division. Still hosting the first round game," LaCroix said.

Besides taking a toll on the team's morale, if thousands of tickets remain unclaimed, viewers at home could face a blackout. And, LaCroix says, fans at the dome a greenout.

"I know in Philadelphia there's an active movement to get some of their fans to come to the Twin Cities for the weekend. We want to keep it purple and a home field advantage," LaCroix said.

In the past, the T.V. station that broadcasts the game has stepped in at the last minute to buy the remaining unsold tickets. But LaCroix says stations have previously only purchased about a thousand tickets.

On Thursday night, Fox 9 News, which is airing the game on Sunday, did not comment on what the station plans to do.

Meantime, the team hopes fans come forward before anyone else to ensure a home team advantage during the first home playoff game in eight years.

The team is also clarifying a misconception among fans about having to buy all playoff tickets ahead of time. LaCroix says the team has a "Pay As You Play" program which allows the team to charge a fan's credit card only if the team advances.

Fans who buy their tickets by check will need to request a refund from the team, otherwise the money will go toward tickets for next season.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15436467

From KARE11.com

Vikings face possible blackout; thousands of playoff tickets still up for grabs

3 possible reasons why the Vikings and Cards are having trouble selling tickets:

1) Tough economic times

2) Nobody believes they will survive the first round

3) Many people have gotten a new HDTV and sound system for Christmas and would rather watch the game from home. That would be a problem if the game was blacked out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.