AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2nd Annual NHL Winter Classic on NBC

Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks

Live from Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL

January 1, 2009

1pm ET

1080i & DD5.1

Please post all related comments here, and include provider (OTA, Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV), and source (station call letters & city), thanks.

The sold out outdoor game is expected to draw around 41,000. The rink will run from first base to third base and start just behind the pitcher's mound. It's believed the upper deck & bleachers will probably be the best seats.

Quote:
From NBC Sports

Wings ice 'Hawks streak, set up Classic rematch

Chicago, which had won 9 straight, to host teams' next game at Wrigley

Ty Conklin made 36 saves for his seventh NHL shutout Tuesday night, and Johan Franzen scored twice to lift the Detroit Red Wings to a 4-0 win that snapped the Chicago Blackhawks’ team-record, nine-game winning streak.

Pavel Datsyuk added a goal and an assist, Tomas Kopecky scored his second of the season, and Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall each had two assists in the Red Wings’ 700th game against the Blackhawks.

Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 35 shots for Chicago in the start of a home-and-home series that will conclude New Years Day outside at Wrigley Field in the Winter Classic. The Blackhawks had earned at least one point in 11 consecutive games.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Chicago Blackhawks will play host to the Detroit Red Wings at Wrigley Field in the Bridgestone NHL Winter ClassicTM 2009 on New Year's Day. The game will be the 701st all-time meeting of the clubs - no NHL opponents have played more regular-season games against each other. Face-off is at 1 p.m. ET/Noon CT. NBC will provide live broadcast coverage of the game in the U.S. In Canada, CBC and RDS will televise the event live.

NHL Network in the U.S. and Canada will provide more than five hours of live coverage, including the team outdoor practices on December 31 and pre-game and post-game shows on New Year's Day. NHL Radio will provide coverage for radio stations across North America and NHL.com will provide extensive editorial and video coverage. Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic 2009 will be the second regular-season outdoor NHL game played in the United States and the third regular-season outdoor game in League history.

NHL NETWORK COVERAGE OF

NHL WINTER CLASSIC 2009

(all times Eastern)

* Dec. 31: Outdoor Practices

11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.: The Blackhawks and Red Wings test the ice. Also: The total fan experience.

* Jan. 1: Game Day

11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Pregame Show; History of outdoor games, nooks of Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville, renaissance of Chicago hockey.

After game: Postgame Show; Highlights, interviews, analysis, all live from Wrigley Field.

Prime Time; Memories of Wings and Hawks

6 p.m.: Voices - Detroit's Ken Kal

6:30 p.m.: Voices - Chicago's Pat Foley

7 p.m.: Pioneers - Gordie Howe

7:30 p.m.: Pioneers - Glenn Hall

8 p.m.: Lord Stanley's Summer 2008

Visit here to watch a 15 minute delay webstream of the ice at Wrigley Field.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm...erclassic/2009

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is hoping that the sound for the game is as good as last year's WC. I walked over to Wrigley to take a look at the NHL fan stuff going on.. kind of weak, but there is definitely a buzz in the air.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/15426045

SNF Mixer is doing audio for the game again this year, so I would be shocked if the audio wasn't top-notch.

If a meteor crashed into Wrigley Field, there might be a few seconds of no audio until he could get spare mikes hooked up.

Yep, short of that, you should expect "classic" Wendel-ly 5.1 audio! On a serious note, though, I do hope all the networks and his contractors take note on how well he mixes audio. He's pretty much the standard, IMO.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieko /forum/post/15426662

I'm really looking forward to this

Would I be correct in assuming this year we won't see a pixelated mess because NBC upgraded their infrastructure to mpeg-4?

For all that was said about the Sunday Night Football game, the answer to that is yes. Unless your NBC affiliate has a bunch of subchannels running. Even with the two in Chicago, it looked excellent.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi from Chicago. Our set up days went well enough that I am in my hotel watching my Heels take on Nevada. I hope that's a sign of a good show.

Unlike last year's perfect storm in Buffalo, our accu-weather meteorologist is forecasting 30 and partly cloudy. Oh well. It's better than rain. (Can't wait to get back to sunny San Diego)

We'll be 5.1 tomorrow, mostly ice up front, mostly crowd in back. It'll take a while to dial it in. You can only guess how loud 41,000 people will be until they show up.

Thanks to my audio crew for freezing their parts off today. It never got out of the teens here.

I'll check in tomorrow before the game and during commercials once things calm down.

Enjoy the game. Happy New Year!

Wendel

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Again same BS time as last year. I look forward to the game as an avid hockey fan and player, but anyone who knows anything about hockey knows hockey fans enjoy a beer or two and the morning after New Years is the WORST time to put on an NHL game, especially one that is trying to help promote the sport.
How come virtually every game is on at 7-7:30 all season long with some early exceptions on weekends and holidays, but one main event can't be on New Years Day at a more reasonable and similar time to most game times. Bettidiot/NHL and NBC really need to get a clue.

Wendel, I do appreciate what you do and coming to this forum to share your expertise.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/15428946

Again same BS time as last year. I look forward to the game as an avid hockey fan and player, but anyone who knows anything about hockey knows hockey fans enjoy a beer or two and the morning after New Years is the WORST time to put on an NHL game, especially one that is trying to help promote the sport.
How come virtually every game is on at 7-7:30 all season long with some early exceptions on weekends and holidays, but one main event can't be on New Years Day at a more reasonable and similar time to most game times. Bettidiot/NHL and NBC really need to get a clue.

Wendel, I do appreciate what you do and coming to this forum to share your expertise.

Hughmc,

I have to disagree with you in strong terms. Last year, this game had great ratings against the traditional college bowl games.

Having said that, I fully agree that Mr. Bettman needs to go.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
William Houston

The telecasts on NBC, CBC and RDS should be of a high quality. The networks have added isolation cameras. A low-angle robotic camera has been implanted at the goal line at one end of the field. A camera will shoot from atop a seven-metre high crane. As in Buffalo last year, there will be shots from an aircraft circling the field.

NBC drew 3.75 million for the Buffalo outdoor game between the Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins last year.

Given that Chicago is the third largest TV market in the United States and that hockey is popular in Detroit, and that the venue has been upgraded to Wrigley Field from Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, there should be more interest this year and larger viewership.

NBC's hockey voice, Mike Emrick, has been scratched from Thursday's game. He has laryngitis and will be replaced by Dave Strader.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Quote:
By Melissa Isaacson

Wrigleyville rooftop owners stopped just short of a lawsuit with complaints that video screens erected for Thursday's Winter Classic in the right and leftfield corners of Wrigley Field would obstruct the view of their own paying customers.

Cubs chairman Crane Kenney confirmed that the longtime acrimony between the rooftop owners and the baseball team has spilled over into the hockey arena with threatening letters sent to the club objecting to the 16-by-14-foot screens.

"They're not located to block the views of the rooftops," said NHL spokesman Frank Brown, "but out of respect to certain quirks in Wrigley's architecture. They're as out of the way as they can be."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,2669053.story

Should be an interesting game to watch today.

I think the bowl have lost some appeal to average viewer than doesn't have his favorite team or teams playing today, so maybe they watch the outdoor NHL game .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am recording the game in HD so I can watch it when I get my new TV - I might watch it live as well on my SD - I planned on having the TV by now.

Anyway, GO WINGS! Chelios is my here... 46 and still playing NHL and not totally sucking - come on - that rocks!

Can't wait till I get my system set up and can watch this in HD and listen 5.1 -

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
I love the 1pm start time! It is no different than a Sunday schedule of any NFL week plus it gives me time to enjoy some New Years Day festivities after while gearing up for my B's to crush the Pens again at 7pm tonight.

Anyhow heres hoping the Red Wings lose, I'm sick of those red uniforms and just maybe this will be the year of The Black & Gold.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
When this thread got moved to be a Sticky, I could not find it as the LInk from my email notification (for new posts) took me to a page that said the Thread is not longer in existance and to check the Archives....glad I found it up on the Sticky, but that was weird to see it couldnt find it.

I for one am rooting for the Hawks and also a very good feed....hopefully Comcast wont screw it up!

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNF Mixer /forum/post/15431292

Just rehearsed. All psyched for the game. Hope the excitement gets home.

W

If the game sounds half as good as it did last year, we are in for a treat.

I hope the place is rocking from the anthem on...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.