AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 928 Posts

· Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we are probably a good three months from the incipient rumors of the 09 AV Receiver line-up, I thought I would throw a dart against the collective wall on what we think the new line-up might entail.

While I am curious what the 507 to the 907 are going to have in respect of improvements, I am most curious on the 607 and above.

Onkyo added bi-amping, zone 2, music optimizer, and an additional hdmi input to the 5line last year, they added video upconversion and additional hdmi unputs to the 6, 7 and 8 series.

Any speculation as to what the newest features will be? What trickle-down improvements in technology we might see? Any thoughts on the digital amp rumors?

· Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by besike /forum/post/15540080

.......it will feature the new 9.1 setup (+ 2 front surround ).the new dolby surround
ro logic IIz.

Great......just what I needed. More speakers to buy........

Seriously, I think Onkyo would do well to take up stock with two key MAJOR complaints. Their horrible customer service and support and their lack of online firmware upgrades....... this is basic stuff...... I say, " Come on ONKYO, get your act together in 2009"

· Registered
54 Posts
I can't speak of what they will do, but I have a wish list of what they could do:

a. Online Updates - i) allow updates to be done via the Internet - perhaps selling software upgrade modules like the Denon 3808/4808/AVP

b. Network IP control of AVR

c. Media Player facilities - I use a TVIX media streamer for FLAC and Video Streaming from my network - I believe there is an opportunity for media streaming capabilities in AVRs. But having been through the cycle of firmware updates and given the slowness of Onkyo/Integra updates - perhaps this is not a wise idea. On the other hand, Marantz are starting to do this.

d. OSD can be overlayed over existing video content without switching to 480/576p

e. Ability to setup default listening modes with Audyssey - for example - Apply Audyssey Dynamic EQ with Audyssey Curve as a preset listening mode with Dolby Digital and DTS sources; whereas apply Audyssey MultiEQ XT with Flat Curve whenever listening to Stereo or 2 channel Audio sources.

f. Ability to change certain parameters directly without going to Setup Screen - for example 4.4 Source Setup and Enter, should be a 1 button - hold down the DISPLAY button for 5 seconds.

g. Perhaps this indicates a need to do a User Interface Review - to improve and fine tune how users like to use and tweak their system.

Cheers.

· Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by besike /forum/post/15540080

not much info on them ,because onkyo only showing the new line up invitation only at the 2009 CES.

it will feature the new 9.1 setup (+ 2 front surround ).the new dolby surround
ro logic IIz.

are the +2 front surround speakers meant to create a height reference (ie high and low)?

· Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15544383

No. Onkyo just refreshed their line to the xx6 in late summer/early fall 2008. It will be at least a year with the current XX6 line so definitely not in April.

I believe the 506 and 576 came out around Easter of last year for reference. It took about a month for each progressive model line. I would imagine the 907 would not be out till aug or sep if last year is any prediction. who knows how the economy will affect r&d/new models

· Registered
3,153 Posts
Then they will like You to pay more cash for more features in the same model.

Because there is not intention for this, I think, it (HD radio) will be reserved for the bigger and more expensive models, as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smess /forum/post/15626788

I'd like to see them move HD Radio to at least the 707

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Oh wow, if the 607 will have the new dolby technology then i think i might hold on upgrading my SR606 for now
i almost pullled the trigger on the SR706 but i now see that theres not much point in doing so, i dont want to buy a 706 now and then have the Buyers remorse want to upgrade in 6 months LOL

1 - 20 of 928 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.