AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 95th Rose Bowl on ABC

#8 Penn State Nittany Lions (11-1) vs. #5 Southern California Trojans (11-1)

Live from Rose Bowl Stadium, Pasadena, CA

January 1, 2009

5pm ET

720p & DD5.1 (Circle Surround)

Please post all related comments here, and include provider (OTA, Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV), and source (station call letters & city), thanks.

Quote:
From FOX Sports

Penn State will win if ... the offense comes out and punches USC dead in the mouth. Lost in the 35-3 final score in the USC win over Ohio State was how the Buckeyes were able to move the ball in the first half. It was actually a close game until Maualuga came up with a pick six late in the first half, but the need to throw partially stemmed from OSU's inability to run the ball with any power. Not having Beanie was a big part of the problem, but the offensive line was the bigger issue. That's not going to be an issue for the Penn State offensive line that's better than anything USC has seen this year, and that includes its own practices. How do you beat a bully? You come out and show no fear and you get physical, and that's what Penn State has to do. The Nittany Lions have an ultra-efficient passing game, and Clark will have to hit his third-down passes, but the running game that cranked out 212 yards per game has to take control of the game from the start.

USC will win if ... Daryll Clark has to win the game. Clark had a fantastic season, completing 60% of his throws for 2,319 yards and 17 touchdowns with just four interceptions, while adding a running element with 265 yards and nine scores. However, he has never gotten the job done in the fourth quarter. He was knocked out of the Ohio State game, and it was Pat Devlin who led the way during the final scoring drive. He failed late against Iowa, finishing with just 83 yards and an interception that led to the game-winning Hawkeye drive, on just 9-of-23 passing. USC is more than happy to see Clark try to run the ball, and it'll take its chances against the Penn State passing game that might feature a superstar in Derrick Williams, but will have problems coming up with the deep plays.

What will happen: USC will be in for a dogfight. Both teams will be pumped up, both will get big defensive performances early on, and neither offense will be able to establish anything. USC will be able to do a bit more than Penn State, and then the Nittany Lions will get a spark from a big punt return from Williams. It won't be enough. Clark will be under 50% passing, he'll make two big mistakes, and USC will capitalize. This won't be a pretty game, but it'll be nip and tuck the whole way.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
PQ looks great here in the Houston area via DirecTV on my Sammy 650

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Its really too bad we don't get to see more of the Rose Bowl in more games, it really is a beautiful venue. That national anthem with the B2 was awesome. They're really dialing up the saturation though that grass is really green and the sky is very blue on those wide shots.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Field level looks excellent, overhead a little soft, most definitely a difference. Perhaps that camera needs some tuning.

It feels like it as the lower level field level camera is perfect while the overhead in comparison seems a tad less sharp but visibly so.

Via Cablevision of NJ on a SA8300HD (output defaulted 1080i).

JVC RS1 on a 106" Dalite HP screen.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Chroma is definitely cranked, its almost cartoony. Also there are a lot of 'overhead' cameras at this game. Be more specific, i'm seeing a tad bit of noise on the high 20/50/20s mostly just from the detail being cranked. Low EZ closeups look pretty good. You can definitely tell the difference in chroma between the Sony 1500s in the Rose Bowl and the RF Blimp. The skycam is kinda noisy (maybe because for this game its the DirecTV Ultimate Picture cam...just the name D* added noise). :)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Could the GD Dodge commercials be any freakin louder????

PQ not up to what I saw on CBS earlier.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Comcast(Plymouth) WCVB out of Boston

The game just looks fantastic, I've said this before I've always felt that ABC College Football has the best PQ, I like it better than CBS's NFL and they are tops at least IMHO>

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dish Network Los Angeles ABC feed is exhibiting a tearing effect. Anyone else have this problem? All other channels are fine. Seems to only occur when there is a lot of fast motion on the screen. Never had this problem before.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.