AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Sugar Bowl on FOX

#4 Alabama Crimson Tide (12-1) vs. #6 Utah Utes (12-0)

Live from The Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, LA

January 2, 2008

8pm ET

720p & DD5.1

Please post all related comments here, and include provider (OTA, Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV), and source (station call letters & city), thanks.

Quote:
From FOX Sports

Alabama can't say it's not ready for Utah's offense. Utah is coached by Kyle Whittingham, who was with Urban Meyer when Meyer coached the Utes to prominence in 2004 with an undefeated season. Now, of course, Meyer is the coach at Florida, which beat Alabama in the SEC championship game. While the talent is not going to be the same at Utah, the scheme should be very similar, meaning Alabama should be ready for what Utah is going to do offensively.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Here in the New Orleans area we're expecting the local broadcast of this game to be filled with transmission glitches.

WVUE-DT "Fox8" (the local Fox affiliate) just completed the conversion of their VHF analog transmitter to digital about 11 days ago, following a week-long shutdown. Since coming back up, local viewers have experienced numerous glitches in the HD picture and sound via OTA, Cable, and Satellite. The new "analog" signal (centercut from the Hi-Def digital signal) over Cable is affected as well. The OTA analog signal is now "history" of course.

I don't know if any of this will spill over into the national broadcast of the game

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/15440137

I don't know if any of this will spill over into the national broadcast of the game

Shouldn't. The on site mobile unit uplinks to the FOX network control center in LA.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So far on the pregame show, PQ looks horrible for an HD broadcast. A step down from last night's very good Orange Bowl telecast and today's good Cotton Bowl. You could see this coming on last night's and this afternoon's previews. I was hoping it would get better. Watching on WVUE New Orleans OTA. The comments are made without regard to the momentary picture freezes-"glitches."

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB-oz /forum/post/15443213

So far on the pregame show, PQ looks horrible for an HD broadcast.

Pregame from the FOX studio is only 480i upconverted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was talking about the pregame at the stadium; I'm aware of the SD studio segments. I described it as "horrible for an HD picture;" perhaps not horrible, but not the quality of the Rose and Orange Bowl telecasts. And it looks like Utah just made a statement.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like nothing better than to see Alabama take a beating. 14-0 is a decent start. Go Utes.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15443465

I would like nothing better than to see Alabama take a beating. 14-0 is a decent start. Go Utes.

21-0 is better.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This game looks okay. Actually one of the better games I've seen this season from the Superdome college or pro. The MNF telecasts just looked so mediocre and they blamed the lighting, but this looks halfway decent. Utah looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
WNYW-5 NY Cablevision. Pretty good pic. When I turned it on in the second quarter there was a lot of video noise, but since then it has not been too bad. I agree that it has not looked as good as some of the other FOX bowl games, but much better than NFL coverage, some of which is not true hd.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15444248

So far I've been very happy and very impressed with Fox's Bowl games so far, they've been looking really nice much much better than their NFL coverage, I wonder why this is?

Only one HD network up tonight. With NFL, they have many running at once.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Fox is pushing out their max 15.5Mb/s again tonight, and the PQ is accordingly fairly good. Now if they'd quit with the spam bar at the bottom, or at least get equipment capable of overlaying in HD instead of needing to drop to widescreen SD. KDFW Dallas via FiOS. This has turned out to be one of the most entertaining bowl games this year, especially with how fast Utah is scoring against the famed defense of an SEC team.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This game is really popping out at me on WFTX-DT Cape Coral OTA and Dish.

Close to last night's Orange Bowl is this Sugar Bowl. Today's Cotton Bowl was a disaster compared to this broadcast, but that might have been the fault of WFTX.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.