AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention Mr. & Mrs. America, and all the ships at sea, Happy New Year 2009!

On Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 8am PT / 11am ET, millions of spectators from around the world will celebrate the New Year with the 120th Rose Parade. The Rose Parade will once again feature the beautiful pageantry and tradition of magnificent floral floats, high-stepping equestrians and spirited marching bands.

Fresh off her Dancing With The Stars gig, the Grand Marshal for the 2009 Tournament of Roses is Cloris Leachman.

For the eleventh consecutive year, The CW and Tribune Broadcasting affiliate KTLA-DT Los Angeles will broadcast the 2009 Tournament of Roses Parade live in HDTV. A number of other Tribune group stations carry the New Years Day tradition in HD, commercial free.

HGTV, ABC, and NBC have their own versions of HD coverage.

(The Travel Channel & RFD TV will also carry the parade, HD status unknown)

· Premium Member
6,261 Posts
Right now I have the parade on WXYZ (ABC) and HGTV HD via Comcast in Detroit. The ABC version looks better, however, HGTV here is 3:1 on Comcast. ABC did have some long audio dropouts earlier in the program.

· Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/15431048

It is disappointing the HD Theater no longs shows the parade as well using the KTLA feed.

I watched HD Theater last year and it was great not to have any commercials. I started to watch Travel Channel HD, but the crawl and the commercials drove me to HGTV.

· Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr /forum/post/15431262

Seems HGTV is the only one with DD 5.1 audio.

I'm getting the announcers in the center and the parade sounds on the L & R front and back.

Is NBC's coverage on till 1pm ET? WNBC just went to an infomercial.

No, only to noon on NBC.

· Registered
440 Posts
I'm satisfied with HGTV's coverage. I've only noticed one commercial so far, and the 5.1 audio is superb. There have been a few minor audio dropouts and one big audio and video dropout a few minutes ago, but it may be my Dish signal.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
HGTVHD PQ is near perfect. Stunning!

NBC is very soft, almost looks like they're upconverting from a 720p source? Looking at the same floats, flipping between NBC and HGTV and HGTV is so much clearer.

ABC is ok, not great.

HGTV is the clear winner.

Watching via D* on 50" 1080p plasma.

· Registered
17 Posts
I totally differ, from what I saw the NBC was clear, more sharp thanHGTV, HGTV was good but around my way(north Hudson county,NJ) , way much more motion blur, I guess do to CableVision compression?...the ABC didn't seem to be as sharp as NBC or HGTV!

· AVS Forum Special Member
11,153 Posts
Monitored 3 channels back and forth here (from both NYC's TWC and RCN). Nice color and overall parade coverage as usual. But also as usual some of the crispness possible with 1080i was missing from WNBC-DT. Have often seen sports from NBC with better PQ (resolution-wise). The fine detail just wasn't making it cross country to NBC in NYC and on to TWC/RCN. Normally NBC programming via cable here is very clear, without motion artifacts, since it's piped via fiber to cable head ends. While no doubt undergoing rate shaping at the head ends, like other sources, it appears we're getting signals without the bit rate reductions involved for NBC's local multicasting. -- John

· Super Moderator
19,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/15431268

No, only to noon on NBC.

Depends on whom you watched. Detroit's NBC bailed at noon for the Bowser infomercial. WNBC lasted 'till 12:30, when they started the same infomercial. At 12:30, WDIV took the hockey pre-game. I didn't check Toledo.

Problem with having my old CRT RPTV calibrated is that I see ALL the errors, now. HGTV was the sharpest, but paled in comparison to KTLA in the past. This is the first year I couldn't find KTLA's coverage on the bird, air or cable.

Noticed the SD feed of WNBC on D* was letterboxed for the parade. Not for the game, however.

· Registered
27 Posts
Here in the (SF) Bay Area, the parade coverage was variable. The NBC picture (on 11.1 OTA) didn't look very good to me. Sort of like SD, but in 16x9 format. I was kind of annoyed that Al Roker kept harping about the coverage being HD when it sure didn't look that way to me. I flipped back and forth a lot and it looked to me like HGTV-HD via DIRECTV was the best, followed closely by ABC (7.1 OTA). There was a KTLA feed on a local secondary HD channel here (36.1 OTA), but it looked a lot like the NBC coverage, resolution-wise.

I was quite surprised about the NBC picture because their special event coverage in HD usually seems quite good to me.

· Registered
153 Posts
Does anyone know if there going to be any replay in HDTV? I didn't have a chance to watch live or DVR it. I loved having the commercial free feed on Discovery Theater the last few years but alas it is no longer broadcasting it.

· Registered
4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM /forum/post/15432682

Does anyone know if there going to be any replay in HDTV? I didn't have a chance to watch live or DVR it. I loved having the commercial free feed on Discovery Theater the last few years but alas it is no longer broadcasting it.

Agreed. KSWB-HD in San Diego picked up the KTLA broadcast feed. But they only showed it once, not multiple times like KTLA usually does.

There was some good news: Stephanie Edwards was back in the booth along with Bob Eubanks, so I guess enough people complained to warrant bringing Stephanie back!!

· Registered
594 Posts
I recorded the parade on HGTV, ABC, and NBC.

HGTV was the only station that had essentially no commercial breaks (I saw two) and while they did plug other show on the network and do interviews, it still was less than ABC and NBC.

Additionally, at least here in Frederick, MD, they were the only station that broadcast the parade right to the very end.

On a related aside, the second to the last parade participants were the Shire Riders, a group of people riding Shire draft horses. I'm not a horse person, but let me tell you they were the biggest horses I have ever seen in a group -- 19 hands high!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.