AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 4,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 /forum/post/15526765

What is H.264 & WMV9 Video ?

H.264 and WMV9 are video codecs typically associated with high definition videos that are downloaded from the internet. In layman terms, will play most Quicktime and WMV files, including the ones in HD.

Discussion starter · #22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15525658

LOL my wife would LOVE Truvolume, she can't stand the big booming bass and exposions etc, I on the other hand love it. But that is a very nice feature.

I don't mind the explosions and whatnot, but the large fluctuations in volume from station-to-station is what bugs me... That's where I hope TruVolume will come in handy.

Sounds good, but what's the deal with 240hz?? I don't see what benefit you'll get from 240hz vs 120hz, and it seems like a gimmicky attempt to double what was 2008's most hyped feature of the year....So they'll be using 10:10 pulldown from a 24fps source instead of 5:5...why? Other than that though, everything else looks promising.

Discussion starter · #28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1998 /forum/post/15538718

Sounds good, but what's the deal with 240hz?? I don't see what benefit you'll get from 240hz vs 120hz, and it seems like a gimmicky attempt to double what was 2008's most hyped feature of the year....So they'll be using 10:10 pulldown from a 24fps source instead of 5:5...why? Other than that though, everything else looks promising.

As the old saying goes, "you sell the sizzle, not the steak."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1998 /forum/post/15538718

It's for the Frame interpolation/motion resolution.

For example, the new Sony 240hz set has the full 1080 lines of motion resolution with the Frame interpolation set to just low (makes almost no difference on how the films look with low), while the 120hz one gets from 500-600 lines of motion resolution with it set to low-high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer /forum/post/15538524

That'll cost an arm and a leg.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You mean, the new Sharp LC-65XS1U with a list price of only $16.000 ???

I'm really looking forward to the 55" LED set. It will be interesting how it compares to the Sony XBR8 and Samsung A950. Plus the new local dimming LED sets from Toshiba and LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/15548468

I'm really looking forward to the 55" LED set. It will be interesting how it compares to the Sony XBR8 and Samsung A950. Plus the new local dimming LED sets from Toshiba and LG.

I am as well really looking forward to this set. The feature list on this set for 1999 is sick at that price. I would think Costco would sell it for 1799. I can't wait

Discussion starter · #34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 /forum/post/15550183

I am as well really looking forward to this set. The feature list on this set for 1999 is sick at that price. I would think Costco would sell it for 1799. I can't wait

Likewise, if Costco sells the $1400 47" for around $1100-$1200, that would be awesome.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
From cnet:

$1999, 55-inch Vizio goes for LED price jugular

Posted by David Katzmaier

More often than not at the January Consumer Electronics Show, manufacturers refuse to divulge pricing information until closer to the product's launch later in the year, usually citing vague competitive reasons. Not Vizio. The bargain flat-panel brand isn't shy about pricing, especially when the price is as good as this.

The Vizio VF551XVT represents a new low price point for LCD-based HDTVs with LED backlights. This 55-inch HDTV will cost a mere $1,999 when it hits store shelves in June.

Compared with current 55-inch LED models such as the Samsung LN55A950 and the Sony KDL-55XBR8, which sell for at least $3,500 and $6,500 respectively, the Vizio's price is groundbreaking. It puts LED backlight technology within the realm of affordability for big screen flat-panel shoppers. We can't wait to see how this set performs, but if it provides the same kind of picture quality improvements of current LED TVs, it will be a very good bargain.

LED backlights like the one on the Vizio VF551XVT, as well as on the Sony and Samsung models cited above, use "local dimming" technology, which turns off or dims the backlight in dark areas while leaving it turned-on in brighter areas. The result is significantly improved black-level performance, a major ingredient in picture quality.

Vizio also hit the other big feature buzzword with this model, endowing it with a 240Hz refresh rate. Compared with standard 120Hz with dejudder processing, the extra Hz supposedly improve picture smoothness. The company has said it's improved its dejudder processing over the 120Hz SV470XVT we reviewed last year. Vizio is touting the set's antiglare screen and improved viewing angles, and includes an integrated sound bar with simulated surround capability.

The set also offers a USB input that can play back MPEG-2, H.264, WMV9 Video, along with JPEG photos and MP3 music files, and the company throws in a USB thumbdrive with a preloaded 1080p video.

i had given up on vizio after getting a samsung 530 model and an lg 50 model for roughly the same price as comparable vizio model. looks like they are going to gain back a significant price advantage with these models and so i might be inclined to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2000y /forum/post/15565684

Apparently the panel is from LG.

http://www.displaydaily.com/index.php

Some interesting new specs. They say only 77% of NTSC color gamut. I thought that LEDs made for better color reproduction. Guess since they are white, it depends on the particular phosphor used. The article also lists 120Hz, but I thouhgt it was already verified to be 240Hz, so definately some discrepency there.

240 zones sounds good. Is that more than the XBR8? I know it is more than the A950.

21 - 40 of 4,997 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.