AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading through all the ads today, and came across a CompUSA deal for a Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM HD for $200. This is after a $30 instant savings and $100 mail in rebate.

Any other deals out there I'm not seeing, or is this something I should jump on?

Chris

·
Registered
244 Posts
That deal is for today only.

I just bought one of them for 250 after rebate...

I am headed back over there for another for 200. Awsome deal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fry's had a deal for a WD 120 MB drive with a 8MB buffer on Friday. $169-$80 rebate = $89. Maybe they still have it today.

Shyam

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's a great deal unless it crashes and you loose all of your data, though if you only use it to rip DVD's then worst case is that you'd just have to rip them again.

I've always been a bit skeptical of WD drives, any idea what the reliability on these is?

·
Registered
86 Posts
In my experience, WD have always had the most failures. This was offset by their excellent RMA process. But now that they've jumped on the 1 year warranty bandwagon, I'll steer clear of them unless I hear of a massive longevity improvement.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
There is no problem with the 2 Western Digital drives I have:

WD1000BB (1 year)

WD1200JB (7 months)

Additionally, I've had no problems with any of my 5 IBM 120 GB drives (120GXP), nor my Seagate Barracuda IV 40 GB, nor any of the 30-40 IBM drives that passed through my hands at my previous job.

So maybe I'm just lucky :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
RAID is cheap enough to allow you not to worry about single drive failure (though my Asian power feed fried one machine (toasted MB + some PCI components) and RAID5 only allows one drive to fail at a time (per my understanding) but still its a risk I continue to take...

BTW even the APC (always pay guarantee) is worth about as much as Anderson stock when it comes to claim time....

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have to concur that Western Digital drives seem to have a higher failure rate than other brands.

I've had pretty good luck on my Linux server, which has 7 Western Digital drives in RAID arrays and runs for months at a time between reboots. None of those drives have failed yet.

On Windows boxes, I've had at least four Western Digital drive failures. I don't blame it on the OS, but more on the fact that I'm constantly making hardware and software changes and the boxes are powered up and down very frequently. It's almost always when I'm playing musical PCI cards and power cycling the box every 5 minutes that one of the WD drives rolls over and dies. Maxtor and IBM drives have held up much better for me.

--

Steve

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
IBM Deskstar hard drives are by far the least reliable, all but one of the 4 or 5 drives I bought a couple years ago have already gone bad. My experience with Western Digital has been pretty good over the last few years, and I've also never had any bad experiences with Maxtor drives.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have about a half-dozen IBM DeskStar drives purchased over a 3-year period and haven't had a problem with any of them. One of them is a 75GXP which has a reputation for being unreliable, but in general IBM drives have a very good reputation.

--

Steve

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey,

Does anyone have a copy of the rebate forms for the Circuit City 120GB WD hard drive deal? I ordered the drive and had it shipped free... since I ordered at home (where I don't have a working printer) I couldn't print off the rebate forms.... now I can't find them on their site...

any help??? thanks in advance....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I purchased the $200 after rebate 200 gb western Digital Drive. Does anybody have any opinions of the noise level of the drive?

Thanks,

Ira

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.